Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy model S with 300k km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 s 85, previously driven as Uber taxi. It had just over 300k on the odometer. I was told that the drive unit was replaced 10k ago. No information about whether the battery is original or replaced. Showing 307km at 80% charge. Interior and exterior is in decent shape.

It's pretty cheap, just over 30k cad.

Should I buy it? I world hear your opinion.

it will be just for personal use, max 20K per year.
I am a little worried about the battery if it's still the original. It does have two more years of warranty left for the powertrain. I have booked an appointment with Tesla for a pre-purchase inspection.

From 2014 it'll still have 2 years left on the drivetrain warranty (battery, drive unit) which are the big-ticket items if they have to be replaced. You'd want to budget a couple grand for eventual replacement of the center screen, and be aware that repairs can be expensive (like any premium/luxury brand). From 2014 you might want to check if it has free Supercharging, I don't remember when that became standard. Also think about where the nearest store/service center is, or check with Vancouver about Ranger service. If you need tires/brake pads etc. you can get those done at most tire shops now, but some stuff you'll still need Tesla to service. Living in Edmonton means taking my car to Calgary every now and then, once every couple of years, so you'll probably have the same requirement to go to Vancouver once in a while.

You probably won't find anything at $30k that's more fun to drive though.

thank you for all your comments.
I don't think I can get an extended warranty on this vehicle. The only warranty is from Tesla for the remaining drivetrain warranty. The dealer selling the vehicle didn't have much information about the vehicle, other than the DU replacement. I don't think the dealer even know the exact packages the car has. It does have the tech Package, but I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised with other options when tesla does the inspection. Does anyone have experience with Tesla's inspection? the Montreal SC charges $500.

I am hoping to find out the exact packages of the vehicle, the battery history and health, any other current and potential issues.

The packages are easy to see on options and visa blue on the car. First if you look in the trunk and there is a cubby on both the left AND the right, it does not have high fidelity sound as the sub is on the right side. Go to the screen and look for suspension on the main screen, if it’s not there, it doesn’t have it. Now look at the heating screen, if you have heated mirrors it has sub zero. Lastly look at the charging screen. If it says max amps 80A then you have dual chargers. You can get 3rd party warranty’s equal to Tesla’s. And I think if you buy from a trader you no longer have the Tesla warranty but I would confirm that as I’m not positive.
The packages are worth $2500, when I was looking there were a few musts on my list that help me decide the value of the packages. But having all the upgrades would be a great bonus.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I suggest you buy Model 3 instead. Apparently, Tesla is now only focused on software development for their new hardware, which means, your 2014 Tesla won't receive latest update due to hardware limit. If size is your concern, wait for Model Y.

Best question is what other EV can you get for 30k that's comparable to an used S? If there are better options, go for that. Otherwise, this is a decent used car considering the drive train will last another 300k km possibly. Look at Tesloops maintenance record and see if a battery replacement is in the horizon.

Thank you all for your advice, they are very helpful.
I went through the process of trying to find an EV that is close in the price range. I touted the idea of getting an old BMW I3 for 20K. But, 4 seaters and 100KM range at best in the winter, it really didn't make sense. Even the 2017 I3 with the bigger battery can bearly do 120 in the winter. I hope to find out if the battery had been replaced in the past at the inspection. I will have you all posted, it's happening this Wednesday.

Jason

So the popular narrative about EVs having little to fail and being cheap to own are not accurate.

I have a 2014 P85 wife has a 2014 Impala with more miles. The Impala is the cheaper to own and more reliable by a wide margin.
Chargers go bad $2200 each.
Computers are going bad $2000.
Suspension is troublesome due to the substantial weight of the car.
Brakes do need periodic replacement particularly in snowy climates and are expensive.
Eats tires all drive and most braking is back tires so frequent rotation is critical.

I love the car, but mine has already been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned at 90k miles

I agree...it is cheap to own if you drive a lot.
did you have to pay for these repairs or it was covered under warranty?
they do have less moving parts but things can still fail and repairs are not cheap given not many options to get them fixed. Though you have to compare to a Mercedes S class to your Model S, it's probably not fair to compare the cost of ownership to an Impala. LOL.

I am an owner of a SP85 from 2014 myself. Over 310,000 km now.

I can recommend it to anyone - especially at that price. Supercharging is not very fast any more, because it was used a lot and Tesla decided to protect the batteries. So free supercharging is nice to have, but charging at home or at the destination is much more convenient. Mine has a double charger, so at home it will charge with 22 kW which is fairly fast (about 100 km/h).

There is no question in my mind that I can drive this car another 300.000 km. Unless something breaks. If Tesla were to offer me a new battery (at a decent price), I would do the upgrade. Eventually that is what I hope for.

Consider it a bargain - a solid car for about 1/4 what I paid for it.