Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy my current leased X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving a 2018 X D100 and loving it. With a lease expiration 3/25/21 and a buyback at $70,000.,, I thought that my Feb.2, 2021 order of the new X long-range model would transition smoothly. My error. Had I purchased, I would still be driving it today, as there is no new X on the street yet in California. As for value, I could have sold that car for $80,000.00. So here I am, driving around a borrowed 2012 VW Jetter and checking on line for the projected August arrival of my new Tesla. Did I consider any of the other electrics out there? Rather drive the ol' VW.
We have the same issue. X went back to Tesla. We are down to our Model 3LR only. Not a bad car, but not an X. Replacement X is on order with projected delivery of Jan-Feb 2021.

Question. Are people able to see their X orders in the app? We can no longer see ours, but when we call Tesla and give them the RN# they find it and says the order looks fine.

OP - I would buy your lease - either way is a win win.
If you want to keep, you're getting your MX at a great discount based on today's prices
If you want to trade up, you're ending up financially ahead anyway for a trade/equity perspective
Joining this thread a little late...I appreciate your clear and simple recommendation. I have a lease on a 2018 MX 75D with 17K miles (purchased in December 2018). My lease is coming up in December, and my purchase price is $55K. KBB estimate ranges $75K - $88K. Seems like a no-brainer? I also have a MX long range on order due in "January 2022" as well as the new BMW iX SUV due out in May or June 2022. Thinking of purchasing my lease-end MX 75D, driving it until the spring and then making a decision between taking my new MX long range or the BMW iX. Any thoughts?

Joining this thread a little late...I appreciate your clear and simple recommendation. I have a lease on a 2018 MX 75D with 17K miles (purchased in December 2018). My lease is coming up in December, and my purchase price is $55K. KBB estimate ranges $75K - $88K. Seems like a no-brainer? I also have a MX long range on order due in "January 2022" as well as the new BMW iX SUV due out in May or June 2022. Thinking of purchasing my lease-end MX 75D, driving it until the spring and then making a decision between taking my new MX long range or the BMW iX. Any thoughts?
I kind of wish I would have bought my X 75. But, mostly because the 2021/2022 replacement X LR is not available.

If I had known it was going to be so long (approx 11-12 months) to get the replacement X I definitely would have purchased our car. But there are downsides to buying out the 2018 X 75. These include the 9+% tax on top of the lease buyout price, the X75's short-range, and missing the upgrades (soundproofing, etc) of the post-Raven Xs.

The BMW is interesting, and I would consider it, but it is a first generation of the BMW EV SUV platform, and I tend to avoid those.