Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy now or wait for 2019 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn't do model years - they make rolling changes. A brand new X is significantly refined and improved over an original founders or signature car from 2015, but they haven't gathered all the changes into blocks and introduced them as years.

The year of a car is based on the day that the VIN is assigned - and there's no reason to believe that a car built in January will be any different than one built in December.

There are a few significant changes I think are likely coming down the pipe sometime in the next year, but there's no reason to think they'll be showing up in the next month or three.

but that's basically paying $7,500 FOR a refresh, why wouldn't anyone do that?

I read the article and they mentioned “simplifying production” ie making it cheaper for them to produce and more profit ..I’m not a fan of the single center screen only I do like the IC ...now if they added a HUD than that makes up for it ,,.tesla did away with leather last year in the interior I don’t see that coming back ...so aside from some aesthetics I wouldn’t lose the 7500 tax credit now for an interior ...if they mentioned larger battery and upgraded drive train I would definitely wait though

Well the classic response is that if you wait for the next best thing you'll never buy a Tesla because there's ALWAYS something newer in the pipeline. As for the Porsche Taycan and Jaguar I-Pace, I suspect they will be underwhelming unless you're a previous Porsche or Jaguar buyer. After all, it's their first attempt. Another factor is age, at my age, 62, I really don't want to put off getting a Tesla any longer. My "driving for fun" years are not unlimited! But if you're young enough, waiting is certainly an option... but then there's doing your bit for climate change....

Another thing to consider is that the leaked refresh shows a more minimalist interior. They getting rid of the second screen, making the touch pad horizontal, and removing buttons from the steering wheel. Essentially it will look similar to a Model 3 interior.

Personally, I don't care much for the model 3 interior, so I would try to order sooner rather than later. But if you prefer the way the Model 3 looks on the inside then it might be worth waiting.

I read the article and they mentioned “simplifying production” ie making it cheaper for them to produce and more profit ..I’m not a fan of the single center screen only I do like the IC ...now if they added a HUD than that makes up for it ,,.tesla did away with leather last year in the interior I don’t see that coming back ...so aside from some aesthetics I wouldn’t lose the 7500 tax credit now for an interior ...if they mentioned larger battery and upgraded drive train I would definitely wait though

And I love having the singe display without a steering wheel in the way of it. I've kept a GPS mounted on my windshield for about 20 years, main reason is that I can never see the speedometer without going through contortions. I'm already used to looking there for information.

Reactions: P85_DA
Do you guys think I should wait to get the 2019 model X?

I'd lose half the federal tax credit but if someone were to ask me "would you upgrade your 2018 to 2019 model for $3000 that could possibly have upgraded features" would you guys do it?

Might as wait. Oh, do you realize that in 2019 that there is going to be another something great introduced in 2020? Oh yeah, the model Y might be exactly what you want. And then comes the pickup truck.

Buy now or never.
Yes, in 1982 I remember a lot of people waiting to buy a computer until next year when they get better and cheaper.

Do you guys think I should wait to get the 2019 model X?

I'd lose half the federal tax credit but if someone were to ask me "would you upgrade your 2018 to 2019 model for $3000 that could possibly have upgraded features" would you guys do it?

I love my "2018 MX" ! Why wait, you could be loving life months sooner.... Just buy it. You will be experiencing car technology like you have never seen before. What freaked me out the second morning I got into it, there was a software upgrade waiting for me to install it. Like driving a big computer!

Well the classic response is that if you wait for the next best thing you'll never buy a Tesla because there's ALWAYS something newer in the pipeline. As for the Porsche Taycan and Jaguar I-Pace, I suspect they will be underwhelming unless you're a previous Porsche or Jaguar buyer. After all, it's their first attempt. Another factor is age, at my age, 62, I really don't want to put off getting a Tesla any longer. My "driving for fun" years are not unlimited! But if you're young enough, waiting is certainly an option... but then there's doing your bit for climate change....

Hell, I'm 9 yrs older than you, and I love watching a Porsche in my MX REVIEW mirror coming out of a light turning green. I think they are shocked by the quickness of the old guy in his Tesla!

If it doesn't site well with you that you'll have an outdated and inferior version then yes, wait. If you could care less and money isn't the largest factor then ordering now could save you even more once news of the interior overhaul is main stream. Other manufactures will be great and competitive one day, I just don't think they're there yet. I'd give them a few more years when the market has truly shifted before buying with them.

I would not try to time any changes. Tesla makes changes when ever they have the processed worked out. In the 3 months between when I ordered my car and when I picked it up the:
  • Stopped using the ordered interior color combination and replaced it with another
  • Upgraded the MCU from 32 to 64 bit.
And now a few months later they made the PUP standard equipment and raised the price $3,000.

And this is only 1/2 way through 2018. Who know what else will change.

If you want to stay current with every change you would have to upgrade at least every couple of months.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA and TexasRat
If you are going to wait that long then consider the Porsche Taycan aka Mission-E

i believe it will be much better fit/finish and truly give Tesla competition
Though I read an article that states they're trying to figure out exactly how to build it still :p They have to still allocate the factory, figure out where it all goes, etc. Trying to remember where it was sourced from, but it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.