Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy pre-paid service/extended service? Or annual service every 2 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume most people on this forum have purchased a pre-paid service plan. Some because they had to, before Elon's recent announcement that made it optional. Most because after spending $100K on the car, what's another $1900 or $3800 or $6300.
This may have been mentioned by others. I bought the pre-paid service plan partly because I needed to buy it in order to buy the prepaid *Ranger service*. And given my location ~215 miles from the nearest Service Center, I am most definitely going to need the Ranger service if I need any service. If something does go seriously wrong with the car, the ranger costs could add up very quickly, and they are *not* included in the warranty. I've already had one Ranger call for the defroster vent retrofit.

If I lived 20 miles from the service center I might well not have purchased the pre-paid service plan. So consider your location.

I think you could cancel but the service plan is bought separate from the car, like an accessory so I could either call Tesla or look online at the fine print. I'd just keep it, only bought what you are going to use anyway you just prepaid for it.

I'm going through this same dilemma of if I should buy the service plans and extended warranty. I'm in a different situation as I'll definitely drive more than 12,000 miles per year and I do think I would take it for the annual service just to make sure all is ok. I'd guess that Tesla will definitely keep raising the price on these annual service check ups as well as the extended warranty. I know they raised the price once already but I'd have to believe they are spending more money than they anticipated with so many people bringing their cars in after taking delivery of them.

Just as they had to raise the price from $2,500 to $4,000 I believe they will probably have to raise them again in 2014. I'm the type that typically buys a car and hangs on to it for many years. I planned on doing that with the Model S but who knows what kind of crazy upgraded technology they will have in 4 years so I'm debating now whether to buy the extended warranty for the $4,000.

Tough decision. If they came out with a battery that goes 600 miles in 4 years then I'd definitely upgrade to it and it would be a moot point on the 4 year extended warranty. However, I do think if the prices keep going up on that you wouldn't lose out on that as you can pass it to the next owner so there will still be a value on it.

Last edited:
Initially I did not purchased the maintenance plan., but then I needed an alignment and found out the plan covers that + tire rotations. Ended up purchasing it.

Does the rotation include balancing the tires as well? Balance, rotation, alignment (done correctly by a Tesla tech), inspection, free pickup and dropoff, etc. may make a prepaid plan well worth the money and time.

So I will be a low mileage driver, somewhere possibly between 6K-12K annually and am financing through Tesla for the buyback guarantee in 3 years (lots of questions still regarding longterm dependability, platform changes, retrofit of new hardware). If nothing happens in 3 years where I sell back the MS, I will probably keep it forever. Anyone else in similar situation? Should I purchase 4+4 AND extended warranty or just 4 year prepaid? If the later and I decide to keep the car can I prepurchase 4 more years before my initial 4 years is up? Are prepaid service plans included in the Buyback guarantee?

I am going through the same thought process. However, I must likely will utilize the 3 year buyback guarantee. So I am a wondering why no option to pay for a 3 year service agreement. I thought you can buy 1 year agreements but I don't see that option on the website. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I am going through the same thought process. However, I must likely will utilize the 3 year buyback guarantee. So I am a wondering why no option to pay for a 3 year service agreement. I thought you can buy 1 year agreements but I don't see that option on the website. Can anyone shed some light on this?

They aren't 1 year agreements per say, you just pay $600 for the annual service at the time of the visit.

So I will be a low mileage driver, somewhere possibly between 6K-12K annually and am financing through Tesla for the buyback guarantee in 3 years (lots of questions still regarding longterm dependability, platform changes, retrofit of new hardware). If nothing happens in 3 years where I sell back the MS, I will probably keep it forever. Anyone else in similar situation? Should I purchase 4+4 AND extended warranty or just 4 year prepaid? If the later and I decide to keep the car can I prepurchase 4 more years before my initial 4 years is up? Are prepaid service plans included in the Buyback guarantee?

Got this from my DS yesterday regarding service plans
If you purchase the 4 year service plan and decide to trade the vehicle in at the three year mark, the unused service plan will not be refunded