Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy the "full self driving option"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The video is no longer available. What's in it?
I dont know, I didnt click it... because I especially am not into videos by people who come here and post a sensationalist title to get hits, then post a video and say "find out in my video".

Same OP did this same thing recently. This poster has (8) posts, and here are some of the titles:

===================

Is Range Anxiety Fake News? Let's Drive 1012 Miles to New Orleans!
(is range anxiety fake news? find out in my video)

NIssan Leaf is a Better Car Than the Tesla Model 3?
(find out in my video why a nissan leaf is better than the tesla model 3)

Actual Delivery & Video Owners' Manual: Poor Customer Service is Fake News?
Is tesla poor customer service fake news? Find out in my video
===================

I am all for communication, and peoples different opinions, but I am completely against this type of clickbaiting.. not sure why anyone is humoring this OP by continuing this hot button conversation in THIS thread, when its fairly obvious that the OP is trying to drum up views by making videos on "hot" topics. No law against it at all, I am just not into it at all

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and CarlK
No, I don’t think the dancing cars make it dangerous. I think the dancing cars are evidence that Tesla releases sloppy code.

I think the fact that EAP in my Model 3 this morning drifted in the other lane because it was confused by weak markings and the shadows from trees make it dangerous. I only used it because it was early with no one else on the road. I wouldn’t trust this with others around that may get hurt.

I think the wording from Tesla is dangerous for a product that it sells to the general public in the hundreds of thousands and not just to techy guys like you who understand what it is.

I think people who brush this off as “oh well, should have read the fine print” are cynical when some of the hundreds of thousands, maybe a small percentage of excited non techy people who fell for the FSD EAP hype, trust this a bit too much and kill themselves or others. That has already happened, hasn’t it?

I think that Teslas attitude is also dangerous for throwing real autonomous driving back decades if their sloppy attitude results in some horrific high profile accidents.

Given Autopilot accident rates are far lower than without it,

I know you’ve already argued this ad nauseum to an impasse, but I just want to point out that not everyone believes that this is true, in the sense that people would normally think about it. Strictly speaking, the way Tesla publishes the data, it is presumably true. But it’s not two data sets comparing identical traffic and road conditions.

Normally, people would want to know whether you were more or less likely to have an accident for a given drive with AP engaged vs. not engaged. That’s not the comparison the Tesla data is making.

Lol at no opinions from fanboys.

6000 posts and I’ll still call *sugar* how I see it.

To me it’s a really simple decision.

If you plan to keep 3-5 years+ I think you will get your value worth (eventually).

I didn’t get FSD with my 2016 Model X because I didn’t believe it would be usable by 2019.

I did get FSD with my 2018 Model 3 - I think it will be valuable within 2 more years and my holding period is long.

Risk, reward ratio is only getting better.

I also place a premium on access to newest fastest tech ahead of anyone else.

I’d probably survive on an iPhone XS but I’m using an XS Max because I love cutting edge gadgets.

Yes I’m paying to be a beta tester and it’s not specific to Tesla.

This thread confused me a bit as it mentioned AP, EAP, and FSD. I thought EAP disappeared as an option on any new Tesla a while back.

Without the FSD option, the model 3 has stay-in-Lane, distance-keeping-cruise. This is a great feature. Somewhat easier to access and better than similar features in other cars I’ve tried.

With the FSD option it would now get autopark and navigate on autopilot. The future features are in the future so not that relevant today.

Given all the hardware is in place I suppose the question comes ‘are autopark and navigate on autopilot (NOA) worth the price to you’?

I’m pretty poor at parking and have found autopark in the model S helpful. NOA is an interesting step, but here in the UK the time restrictions on auto-Lane-change make it more frustrating than valuable.

We had the same choice to make recently on a Model 3. We opted for the FSD option in anticipation of me needing to park it sometime.

I’d probably survive on an iPhone XS but I’m using an XS Max because I love cutting edge gadgets.

You realize, right, that there is no difference other than screen size / physical dimensions between an iPhone Xs and Xs Max?

There's nothing more "cutting edge" about the Max. Same camera(s). Same processor. Same storage capacities. Same everything. It's just bigger.

iPhone XS - Technical Specifications

You realize, right, that there is no difference other than screen size / physical dimensions between an iPhone Xs and Xs Max?

There's nothing more "cutting edge" about the Max. Same camera(s). Same processor. Same storage capacities. Same everything. It's just bigger.

iPhone XS - Technical Specifications

Thanks for correction. Shows how little commitment to internalization for iPhone Models. I know I change them every September with whatever is newest and biggest that fits in my pocket. :)

Basically I’d change to the XS Max S or whatever Apple does this year.

Folks who have AP now are spoiled compared to my fresh off the line AP2 car with EAP

No TACC on day of delivery. No autosteer until New Years 2017 and only 25 mph.

Yes. 25 MPH and no local road usage.

I remember getting the “falcon x” firmware early on as well that was updated again within 24 hours. Would do lane changes at maximum wheel torque.

Good to know Model X’s don’t roll over easily despite their height. :D

Last edited:
What's funniest about all this is how much outlook colors
expectations and expectations determine satisfaction.

I'd gotten angry at Musk and Tesla at times, and then my
AP experience actually changed for the worse. As I've gotten
to know the system and to appreciate what the company
has accomplished, my outlook changed and I'm a very
satisfied user of everything on my Model 3. It's the same
with any technology. There are always limitations, and we
can focus on limitations or on positives. You people who
are so pissed off at the limitations of the automation, pls
honestly ask yourself how much of this frustration reflects
an emotional state, or a partial view of the totality, you
know, as in half-empty vs. half full. People who say it's
worthless should very simply please stay in manual and
not give yourselves ulcers. Fine, OK, it's useless for you,
it's probably going to get you into an accident, we accept
that, so please don't endanger others to prove your point ;-)

I didn't buy that FSD option when I made my purchase in May 2019. I don't regret it after I tried the included AP option extensively on a 800km (80% - 90% on AP) road trip. Don't get me wrong, AP actually worked very good, even better than me in some situation. However, I realized that I wouldn't rely on that thing for the life of my family, at least not for now. I know I will buy that FSD, given that it's fully tested and mature. I don't see that's happening in the near future (say 3 - 4 yrs). Why would I put 1000s of dollars in advance and hope it will work some day? I may switched to another car in between already.;)

You aren't suppose to rely on it, Its suppose to assist you.

You aren't suppose to rely on it, Its suppose to assist you.

And that’s why it should be called “driver assist” not AP and FSD. Difficult to bamboozle people out of $6000 if you call it that though.

Which leads back to the thread title: Don’t buy “FSD” if you expect FULL SELF DRIVING (in the next 10 years) because it will most likely always just be a driver assist feature for this generation of Tesla vehicles despite its misleading name.

Last edited:
No, I don’t think the dancing cars make it dangerous. I think the dancing cars are evidence that Tesla releases sloppy code.

Pretty sure someone earlier in the thread explained why that's not what it actually indicates?

I think the fact that EAP in my Model 3 this morning drifted in the other lane because it was confused by weak markings and the shadows from trees make it dangerous. I only used it because it was early with no one else on the road. I wouldn’t trust this with others around that may get hurt.

so, 2 things-

1) Didn't you JUST recently get your Model 3 recently? EAP hasn't been available in new cars for months. Are you sure you even understand what your car came with?

2) You're not intended to "trust" it- you're supposed to actively monitor it and be prepared to take over at any time

Not only is that in the manual, you have to click that you read, and agreed, to those terms when you turn it on in the first place, and it reminds you every time you use it

I think people who brush this off as “oh well, should have read the fine print” are cynical when some of the hundreds of thousands, maybe a small percentage of excited non techy people who fell for the FSD EAP hype, trust this a bit too much and kill themselves or others. That has already happened, hasn’t it?

There has been exactly one documented death from using AP in its operational domain. Ever.

Out of over a billion miles driven on autopilot.

(the overall driving fatality rate across all cars is over 10 times higher than that)

It's much safer than driving without it.

And that’s why it should be called “driver assist” not AP and FSD. Difficult to bamboozle people out of $6000 if you call it that though.

So once again I'm unsure you understand what your car even has.

AP isn't $6000. It most recently was 3k, but is now "included' with most configs.

And AP is driver assist just like it's the exact same thing in aircraft.

The name is 100% accurate even if you can't be bothered to learn why.

Reactions: Joshan
I was referring to both AP and FSD

The name AP is borderline. AP in planes is a lot safer than AP on roads (for many reasons, among them FAA certifications and pilot training) and it’s actually stupid to use the same name as the environment is so fundamentally different. Do pilots use AP on crowded roads in their Airbus?

The name FSD is BS. I guess some people are suckers for marketing.

The question was “should I buy the “Full Self Driving” Option”. For this the answer is no, if one actually expects “Full Self Driving” in the next several years and not a fancy driver assist system.

I actually wish it were possible to turn off the ridiculous detritus (the craptastic visualization) of the included AP, which I consider a toy and which cheapens the feel of the whole product.

Last edited:
Actually ALL of us are susceptible to marketing ploys.:eek:

Also should I get chicken for lunch? Non fan boy replies only.:D:D:D

Chicken is over-rated and not ready for primetime. Especially chicken from startups who do not have decades of knowledge in how to properly make chicken using decades old methods and processes.

I think in this scenario KFC = traditional ICE manufacturers and Chick-Fil-A = Tesla

You get the old schoolers stuck in their ways who go to CFA and are like "Where is my deep fried chicken breast and leg!!"

Tesla is more like advertising chicken made out of genetically engineered grass but what you get right now is a chicken flavored salad and if you pay for FCM (Full Chicken Meat), you’ll get chicken tasting tofu. Maybe. Next year. Or sometimes. When they are ready to release life Robot Chickens engineered from grass into the wild.