Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy the "full self driving option"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Not now. Maybe not ever. Could not be simpler.

It has and adds zero value. Driving the car is much more fun than letting it drive itself. Robofleet? Please.

Should there ever come a time when FSD truly adds value to my driving experience or helps pay for the car, then it may be worth paying whatever $ Tesla is seeking at that time. Maybe not. But until then, it surely ain’t worth $6k.

I sure would like to be able to add Summon (the dumb version) to my AP config without FSD. Just for those rare times when moving the car a few feet could be useful. This I would pay for, not Nav on Autopilot or the promise of FSD.

Otherwise I’m a major M3 fanboy.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I actually wish it were possible to turn off the ridiculous detritus (the craptastic visualization) of the included AP, which I consider a toy and which cheapens the feel of the whole product.

There are two obvious solutions:

One: Cover the offensive display with a less cheapening something.
E.g. Precious wood paneling or an original painting. Support the arts.

Two: Get rid of this cheapened deathtrap and buy a proper automobile.

But, in any case, consider cutting back back on trolling & ranting on Tesla
forums before you give yourself a CVA and prove how dangerous Teslas are.

Why would I get rid of my Tesla? Besides the awful “autonomy” features, it’s awesome.

And nothing I wrote was trolling. This is a forum, not a house of worship, so if a hyped feature falls short, especially if its safety related, and I criticize it with logical arguments, then who are you to call me a troll?

Reactions: Zero CO2
Nope. Not now. Maybe not ever. Could not be simpler.

It has and adds zero value. Driving the car is much more fun than letting it drive itself. Robofleet? Please.

Should there ever come a time when FSD truly adds value to my driving experience or helps pay for the car, then it may be worth paying whatever $ Tesla is seeking at that time. Maybe not. But until then, it surely ain’t worth $6k.

I sure would like to be able to add Summon (the dumb version) to my AP config without FSD. Just for those rare times when moving the car a few feet could be useful. This I would pay for, not Nav on Autopilot or the promise of FSD.
Amen. :)

I purchased it, and am looking forward to being on that upgrade path.

However, when friends who are looking to buy ask me, I tell them not to bother unless they have the cash burning a hole in their pocket. Autopilot is plenty "mind blowing" for most people.

White/Black LR AWD FSD

Here is my honest opinion.
The novelty and excitement dissipates.

I primarily use autopilot now....I've only had the care for 2 weeks.
When I have FSD on, it wants to make lane changes, but the annoying part is that it requires me to apply force to the steering wheel.

So...I rather just use autopilot and let it chill in the lane I'm in...

I primarily bought it as an optimist hoping that it will really be FSD in the future.

I think it really depends on how long you typically keep a car. Tesla will probably get this working pretty well in a few years. But I think Elon is a bit overly optimistic when he says they're going to have a fleet of autonomous taxis on the road by the end of next year. So you could be paying for a feature now that doesn’t do what it promises for another 3-5 years. If you're the type to keep a car for a long time you may get some value out of it, but if you're the type to trade up every 3 year then it's probably not worth it as I don’t think it will have significant functionality for the majority of that ownership period.

That being said if you're buying it's possible that having FSD will increase the resale value of the car, especially if they raise prices on FSD over the next few years. So that could potentially be a reason to buy.

I only have EAP and I think that is enough for me. I have been in cars with FSD and I do not see much of a difference besides some colored traffic lines and an iffy lane changing system. Don't even get me started on the Summons. I personally would not pay 6k for it. Until it goes on sale for 2k it doesn't even cross my mind.

A couple months down the road, a "huge update" later, and I would still say no way, not at the current price. It's $6k right now for AP to do some lane changes and a party trick that only works when the parking lot is pretty empty.

If it was $2000 to MAYBE $3000 and you did a decent amount of long distance driving then I would say maybe.

It would be nice to have auto lane change, or even assisted lane change where the nav shows you what lane to get in and AP remains active as long as you make the lane change when first using the turn signal. Summon isn't prime time yet, I don't care what word they put in front of it on the promo sheet. I have yet to see it handle a parking lot with people walking around it (either partly sticking into the aisle while loading from a cart into a trunk, or walking up or down the aisle), cars going up or down the aisle, and cross traffic. If the car just defaults to stopping until a person or car passes by, even if there is enough room for a human driver to get by, that isn't very smart. It might err on the side of being safe, which is good, but what if you have a person and three cars turning up the aisle and a couple cars behind your Tesla when it just stops and decides to panic and wait for 45 seconds or so while everyone goes by it. Your laziness is now causing the cars behind the Tesla to wait for no reason, maybe think you stopped and decide to pass, which will freak out the Tesla more...

What about cross traffic? Will it nose it's way out a few feet and then stop because it sees cross traffic? Well what if it's a somewhat steady stream (say 6 to 8 cars) and your Tesla is now half way into the cross aisle and blocking anyone else until the cars go by. Yes that might occasionally happen with humans, but normally we turn our head and look to see if it's clear long enough to get fully out into the cross aisle instead of inching out until we sense something a few feet away...

Show me summon handle that and I'll say it's worth it if you've got a couple little kids that you might not want to parade through a busy parking lot, or live somewhere with very cold winter temps or poorly cleared parking lots and you're worried about slipping. Then it's useful and ups the safety (saves you from slipping on ice/snow or potentially having a kid get hit by someone not paying attention when backing out, etc).

Right now I think in a tight and busy shopping center parking lot it could take 5 to 10 minutes to get the car to you, and then it'll probably show up to your point with nose in at you while blocking lanes. It's not a valet going to get the car and pulling up right next to the curb so you just step in the door. $6,000 for that and lane changes? Nope. Not worth it.

We were supposed to have city street AP by now, which I'll be surprised if we see before the end of 2019. Even then I would worry about how well it works at intersections, stop signs, school zones where you legally need to stop to allow someone to cross if they're waiting at the cross walk, etc for the next year.

Price the features it has now. Maybe $1500 for Nav on AP and $1500 on Smart Summon. Packaged together for $2,000. When Nav on City streets comes out it's another $1500 add on. When FSD with hands off the wheel rolls out it's another $2000 or something.

What happens if the car gets totaled? Is FSD on the account level, or car level? Will an insurance company pay out to cover the $6k FSD, or are they looking at the value of the physical car and paying out that much? If you have a kid or two and trade in the car in two years for a Model Y, does FSD follow you?

To many ways to toss away that $6k before you ever see any use from it...

i wish Tesla would add Lane change to Autopilot. Such an annoyance to disable/enable AP just to change lanes

Even the manual lane change but not disabling AP when using a turn signal would be a huge improvement... what that means is Tesla thinks the simple fact of having AP disable when needing to change lanes is a "key selling point" to get people to spend SIX GRAND to upgrade...

Reactions: jvmoore1
Here is a demo of the current state of development with "full self driving". Full self driving involves complex game theory. For example, in crowded New York city, if you do not nudge your way through a crowd of people continuously jaywalking, you will never be able to cross the intersection with your car. In other words, the threat of running a person over forces the people to get out of your car's way. I a car is programmed to "never run over a person", it will never be able to cross these busy intersections in NYC. Because of this, some people are saying that "full self driving" will not happen until 2045, when scientists predict that artificial intelligence in a common $1000 computer will be just a intelligent as humans. However, Elon Musk says that he'll have full self driving ready by 2020. He recently fired 10% of his autopilot team. Is it impossible to roll out full self driving by 2045? Is Elon being overly optimistic? I invite you to watch the following video and decide for yourself:
I am a fan boy ... but did not go for AP or FSD ... too me it was too expensive for me to be a free beta tester .... i could find a lot better use for $10000 ... i never used cruise control ... so that was my deciding factor ... i tried AP when Tesla provided it free for a month ... for me it is a driving preference /cost decision...the cost benefit is not justified in my case ...... at least not yet...

good news is you can upgrade later if you change your mind

I purchased the $2000 FSD upgrade in March also, but I find myself not really using it. I still haven't tried smart summon or the self parking. I've turned on the Navigate on Autopilot on one road trip for about 15 minutes, but then turned it off.

I'm probably just old school, but I actually enjoy controlling the steering, braking and accelerating on my own. I also still enjoy driving my 6 speed manual transmission Acura as well.

AP is now included so all that FSD gets you is auto park, lane change on AP, navigate on AP (beta), enhanced summon (beta).

I passed on auto park on my BMW and it was only $400, but I rarely parallel park.

Lane change on AP seems silly, I can turn the wheel myself.

The two big features are still beta and not really something I'd use much even if they worked flawlessly.

So $6k for things I don’t need just for the gimmick was too much.

Buying FSD is basically a free loan to tesla best case, wasted money worst case. If you want summon, and lane change on auto pilot and thats worth 6 grand to you - go for it. Dont forget FSD is tied to the car, not you - are you going to keep the car for 5, 6, even 10 more years?

Also worth keeping in mind that since FSD is tied to the car and not possible to disable/refund, there's a chance this will hurt your resale value. You automatically cut out the potential buyers who are not willing to pay for FSD in a used car.

Navigate on auto pilot sucks if there’s anyone else on the road it will piss them off.
Your hyperbolic statement is obviously incorrect.

Today I drove 400 miles from California to Oregon and used NOA about 99% of the time. It worked very well about 99% of the time. Really made the drive much more relaxing than in the past.

And yes, there were other cars on the road. With human drivers. None of them got pissed off as far as I know. :D

Reactions: EinSV