Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy TM3 or wait for TMY? (EU)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there guys. I am in a dire need for a car. I will have to buy one in a next 3 months. Originaly I expected to be able to buy TMY as soon as it gets to Europe. However recently Elon tweeted that TMY will get to Europe only after GF Berlin is ready. So this is too late for me.
Now I am not sure what to do. I have 2 options now. Either buy TM3 or buy some other ICE car. I always wanted tesla since 2013. I even had a reservation for TM3 since 2016. However times has changed and now I need a familly car. I am not sure if TM3 is right familly car as it is a sedan with low ride. TMY would be absolutely perfect. Also the build quality and new features(heat pump, noise reduction, gaps) of TMY makes TM3 looks like an inferior model. However I do not want ICE car either and other EVs are not capable enough to fullfull the role of 1st car in a familly.
Also I dont have money for TMS or TMX and I do not want second-hand car. Also Tesla is not selling refubrished TM3s in our country.
Should I pull the trigger and get TM3 now? Would it be good familly car?

...since 2013...

Seven years of waiting for a Tesla is a long time!

I couldn't wait so I bought one in 2012 which was classic and technologically "inferior" than current models but it was well worth the cost for not waiting.

If you could wait for some more, then, of course, there's no telling the Berlin Gigafactory will be selling Model Y in a year.

China factory didn't produce Model Y first but it will so I think that will also be the chronology for Berlin too.

That means waiting for 1 year or 2 might just be too optimistic.

For a family, an X or S is my recommendation but it's too expensive so if you don't want to wait, Model 3 is for you because everything has a trade-off either money, waiting time, or smaller car...

Well the used S/X would be probably out of warranty and I am scared to own such an expensive car without warranty. Also we know how Tesla service is....

I agree about warranty esp w/ used S/X.

Not sure if they do CPO in EU. In the US buy used from Tesla and you get upto 4 yr warranty.

I debated b/t CPO or new 3 w/ family of 4. Glad I went with 3 for the tech/handling but I do miss the good looks+ trunk space and 3rd row option. I will get the SR Y as soon as 3rd-row option is available.

Ideally I would have bought the Y but as I live in the UK it is not available. I thought about waiting but figured I was a long time dead so I bought the M3LR. It's a lovely looking car and for 95% of my use it will be perfect. When the Y is available I will look to buy one for my wife. The Y is definitely better for putting golf clubs in the back, and has some newer tech like the heat pump, but the M3 is still a lovely car.

I'll never understand why people think they need a huge car because they've got a kid. You can seat 5 comfortably in the Model 3 and the trunk is huge (plus there's a frunk).
If you need a car NOW and really want to wait for the Model Y, get yourself something used as a holdover for a while.

I expect the improvements in the Y will make their way to the 3 in a year or two.

Hi!
I've a 2 years old daughter, and a model 3 for 2 months now.
Everything is okay, the baby car seat stands perfectly, and I can put the stroller and any other stuff I need in the trunk.
Go for it, it's a really nice car!