Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy winter tires or wait? Picking up 1st car - MYLR 1st week of March in Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my MYLR7 1st week of March in Toronto. Going to be my first car so not sure if I should:

1. Buy winter tires now and install them - only for me to swap back to all season in April
2. If I shouldn't install winter tires as it's only a month of using it - what's the best time in the year to buy the tires + wheels?

Thanks

Reactions: marcham
With respect. If you gotta ask, you probably know the answer anyway. Truth is we are probably going to get blasted again before spring really hits. Other truth is that these cars are real torque monsters. As good as you think you might be as a driver, and as much as there is a ton of AI, it can get away from you easily. Last truth: if you could afford the car, then swapping out rim kits should not be an issue.

As mentioned, this is with respect. The worst thing I see here on occasion, are Tesla in accidents. 😀

If you can get winter tires go for it. As someone with a 5+ year old Tesla & previous cars with and without winter tires, as well as all weather {not available for many Tesla tire sizes last time I checked} and all seasons, if you are not going farther north until April you may be OK with all seasons, as new all seasons ie. those with < ~5,000km are not half bad in winter now, if temperatures stay above ~-6o, but you definitely want winter tires (or at least all weathers if available in your size} by next fall.

Thanks everyone. Any recommendations on a great tire shop to get the winter tires swapped in for my MY? I'm based in downtown Toronto.
Check out the TOCO (Tesla Owners Club of Ontario) website. I think it pays to join and benefit from the club discounts. You also get some mighty fine swag and benefits, with membership.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Got my Michelin CrossClimates at McDermott Motors (Shuter&Parliament)
Good price and I could walk home while they switched the tires.
The CrossClimates are "All-Weather" so I leave them on all year.
I have my EDD IN MAY JUNE. Debating the all-weathers on the replika rims or putting the winters on the geminis and putting the AS tires on replikas. Do you find the crossclimates to be worthwhile? the faster wear would be offset by fewer tire swaps and cost to store the unused set where I currently pay for that on my ice car.

I have my EDD IN MAY JUNE. Debating the all-weathers on the replika rims or putting the winters on the geminis and putting the AS tires on replikas. Do you find the crossclimates to be worthwhile? the faster wear would be offset by fewer tire swaps and cost to store the unused set where I currently pay for that on my ice car.
We only drive <10k kms per year. So two sets of tires (winter,summer) can age out before they wear out. And I do love not having to swap them out every year.

The cross-climates are a bit noiser than OEM, but they handle reasonably well under pretty much all weather conditions.

But if we had a LOT of winter driving to do (long daily commute in Northern Ontario, e.g.), I would get dedicated winters.

Reactions: thebarold
We only drive <10k kms per year. So two sets of tires (winter,summer) can age out before they wear out. And I do love not having to swap them out every year.

The cross-climates are a bit noiser than OEM, but they handle reasonably well under pretty much all weather conditions.

But if we had a LOT of winter driving to do (long daily commute in Northern Ontario, e.g.), I would get dedicated winters.
We don't drive a lot of km (my current car had the same winters for like 8 years...) but I realized that paying the dealer to swap and store the tires, would pay for newer tires sooner. We live in Toronto, but do like to go up north to go skiing in the winter. Without having to go to the dealer for oil changes will have me looking for a new tire swap and storage place if i run two separate tires (plus potential additional cost of upgrading the Geminis to Replikas for both sets cause I can't run steelies on this CAR...)

Reactions: brulaz