Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I cancel my 19 month old LR RWD order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put in $2500 for Model Y LR RWD in Nov 2019. Looks like the chances of it coming in the next year are almost zero. My configuration was priced at $49K. The same color for LR AWD today will be $52.5K. With tax credit conversations, RWD uncertainty, temptation to wait for 4860 cells and no urgent need to replace my current vehicle, I am wondering if there is any reason I should leave $2500 with Tesla on that order. Inputs appreciated?

Put in $2500 for Model Y LR RWD in Nov 2019. Looks like the chances of it coming in the next year are almost zero. My configuration was priced at $49K. The same color for LR AWD today will be $52.5K. With tax credit conversations, RWD uncertainty, temptation to wait for 4860 cells and no urgent need to replace my current vehicle, I am wondering if there is any reason I should leave $2500 with Tesla on that order. Inputs appreciated?
I anticipate Tesla will make the LR RWD Y when Austin is making Y's near capacity. More affordable than AWD, good range, more sales. This could be 12-18 months away. I don't have inside info, though.

If the contemporary price when you take delivery is lower than your configuration price, you'll get the lower price. $49,000 is so high that it would probably work out OK to cancel and reorder. If it was me and I still wanted it, I'd keep my order.

Same boat as you, I pre-ordered in Nov 2019, cancelled my order today. I regret loaning them $2500 interest free for 18 months when I could have done better placing that money somewhere else.

At this point I feel like other more compelling EVs with better capabilities than the Model Y will be available before Tesla ever makes the LR RWD version.