Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Cancel Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is really set up to fix the defects, but requires you to go through the hassle of taking it back. No problem when there’s an SC in town, but now that they won’t do Mobile Service for me, as they set up an SC 3.5 hours away, I need to waste a day, minimum, to get even minor work done on my 3. My request for service today can’t be scheduled until August 14. And then because of Covid, they want me to drop the car off and sit on the curb or something until they are done with it. Hope it isn’t raining. Almost half the miles on my car are from picking it up, or driving back and forth to the SC. Makes me think again about my AWD Y order (from March of 19).

Not sure these are Russian Trolls or short-sellers, but I do know some people are happy. Again, my only hesitation is the distance to the service center.

No, just typical half-baked reporting. No one wants to pay for news, so you're seeing articles generated the cheapest way possible: finding something someone else wrote and repeating it practically verbatim. In this case, the starting point was Electrek, which was a story based on "forum posts."

I wouldn't assume that most people are necessarily "happy" because they don't post here -- there seems to be an assumption that only disgruntled people are motivated enough to join a forum like TMC. I also wouldn't assume that most people are encountering problems with their Model Y.

You have to consider the pros and cons and make a decision yourself. If you're going into the purchase from the perspective of lowered expectations and knowing that Tesla can fix it and you'll still enjoy it. If you're only going to be frustrated and you're just searching for any reason to reject it, then maybe it's better to hold off.

For me, personally, I've deferred my order. I am not in a rush and the common trends around delivery quality are concerning enough to outweigh the benefits of getting it right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: EchoDelta
Even though I rejected my Model Y Performance last week, it did not stop me from still wanting one. Tesla already took my $20k down payment + $100 deposit. Should I be mad? Some say I should demand a refund as I could use that $20k to invest something short term while they find me another matching vehicle. Others are saying Tesla should provide me a loaner vehicle or at least compensate me for the lost time and bad QC on their part.

I honestly don't need any bad energy coming into buying a new Tesla. My suggestion is to take it easy and let Tesla do their part. Sure their vehicles don't always come 100% pristine but it's a work-in-progress... Especially during a pandemic.

Good luck!
I Iike the positive attitude. Couldn't have said it better myself. Buying a car should be an exciting experience and not like waiting for the final verdict in divorce court.

I had mine taken away for weeks while having all door panels replaced. Now she practically perfect.

Hassle? A little bit.
End of the world? Please...
Still like my Tesla? It is the best car I've ever purchased.

Hence why I have a hard on for VIN chaser, a misconception and false sense of security of such brought to you from the lovely members here on this forum whom believed they cracked DaVinci's code with Tesla's manufacturing practices. There is no rhyme or reason.

Bottom line, just enjoy the purchase and deal with it accordingly if its not up to your standard. There are about two dozen other manufacturers whom would love your business if your Tesla purchase brings you this level of anxiety.

Reactions: NaiWiste
Classic example of FIA (Forum Induced Anxiety)

People interested in a Tesla come to forums like these to learn about the car, but see many complainers, and worry that their car will also suffer all those issues.

Reality that even if 100 people complain, but 20,000 cars are delivered, things seem worse than they are.

Tesla is weaker than most manufacturers in gettting perfect paint and well aligned door panels. While annoying, for the most part they do not effect in any way the driving enjoyment of the cars, and can usually be put right with a visit to your friendly neighborhood service center.

Classic example of FIA (Forum Induced Anxiety)

People interested in a Tesla come to forums like these to learn about the car, but see many complainers, and worry that their car will also suffer all those issues.

Reality that even if 100 people complain, but 20,000 cars are delivered, things seem worse than they are.

Tesla is weaker than most manufacturers in gettting perfect paint and well aligned door panels. While annoying, for the most part they do not effect in any way the driving enjoyment of the cars, and can usually be put right with a visit to your friendly neighborhood service center.
In what world do misaligned, doors, hatches, and windows not impact the driving experience?

This video came out today. If you actually watch it, though, he admits that he still wants to buy one, just not this year. And his situation is not that similar to mine. He already has a Model 3 and his wife, who would be driving the Model Y, would not benefit much from either its performance or range. He's actually interested in the RWD version, once it becomes available.

A3814AF5-C764-4D20-B098-5B96BD883BFB.jpeg
988C3EB4-4191-49FE-AA37-EC48FF6C72B0.jpeg
F6682F4E-BCE5-441F-9229-50B6564426B7.jpeg
B9483FA4-E28E-4544-A8EF-1846EC44C5D9.jpeg
8284D956-30A5-4964-AB00-9FE22ED78A71.jpeg
DBD6D005-E33A-4FBB-BBAE-999F29A35977.jpeg
If pictures speak a thousand words (TLDR we’re happy with the quality! ;))
- Roof glass gaps
- Hood/Trunk gaps
- Window trim
- Doors
- Tail/Headlights
- Panel intersections
VIN 15xxx

Yes, I think a lot of the positive experiences often get drowned out, so just trying to do my part!

Picked mine up yesterday. Minor issues, paint chip, door alignment and the portable charger had an issue. Swapped the portable charger and have a mobile service for the rest. This is my second Tesla after multiple luxury branded cars. Some previous brands had better initial quality but NONE were as much of a joy to drive or own. I’m never going back to an ICE vehicle and am Tesla all the way. BTW. Even a diamond has flaws under a microscope.

You need to be realistic. The Y still has teething problems just as most new models do irrespective of the manufacturer.

I would never buy a car where the closest warranty service is 4 hours away. Not a knock on Tesla, but the same for any manufacturer.

IMO you would just be setting yourself up for headaches.

Reactions: ColoradoFun
My take is that there are production "teething" problems with the Y. Likely to be resolved in the near future. Of those, many/most can be addressed via mobile service if you're 4 hours from the SC.

Personally, I would postpone delivery for a couple of months if I could. But if it meant buying a different car, than I'd go ahead with the Y delivery and just assume that one or two trips to the SC are part of the deal.

Reactions: ColoradoFun
Traditional Car Dealerships use 'dealer prep' to fix all this kind of stuff before turning the car over the a buyer.
While Tesla struggles with quality control on paint and gaps, the service centers should be required to
sort this out before turning the car over to the buyer. The buyer should never see this stuff.
You honestly believe Ford or GM doesn't have these kinds of issues. You're dreaming. They are fixed
during dealer prep. You'd be amazed what a little touch up paint by a pro-detailer can do and what a body experts
can do to adjust hoods or trunks or doors. It's an art.

Watching all the videos and reading all the horror stories is making me consider canceling my Model Y.

Tesla is now asking me to get everything in order, but I'm just not sure.

My biggest concern is that making a service appointment for all the issues I'm hearing about (which Tesla seems to acknowledge are a LOT and too many). I'm about 4 hours away from the nearest service center, and I get conflicting answers is mobile service will come to me.

I really want to get electric, but just not sure. This is an $80,000+ car in Canada which can buy me practically any other car on the market. The decision was set but now I'm getting cold feet.

Have you considered delaying delivery? I got the text for June and replied with the delay option choosing January for the delivery month. I did this for the exact same concerns you have. Rather than cancel, you will still have your price and configuration locked in and can make a choice later. If the quality issues are still a concern you can further delay or cancel then.

I'm not sure why people wouldn't cancel their Y and get a used Model X. Especially if you can get the Rule 179 deduction, if you drive primarily for business. I do, and I can get a used X once every year and take the credit... on my 3rd Tesla now (Model S P90DL then Model X P100DL+, now 2020 Model X LR+ - FWIW I'd never get performance again and would only get 7 seat, white interior). For my vehicle it was used with 2000 miles (test ride vehicle) but I got almost $9K off, then 179 credit is around $25K off. Advised other friends to do the same, just watch that inventory and prepare to pounce.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
Picked up my Model Y May 30, preordered in December. It has been great.

There are a couple minor panel misalignments (hood drivers vs passenger side, tail light to rear quarter panel), maybe 1/8-1/4” difference between sides or panel to panel. I’m not sure they’re enough to warrant a service call. I likely wouldn’t have noticed them if I hadn’t read about Tesla’s alignment issues over the years.

I went back and looked at my 2015 Toyota Tacoma and found a couple on it as well.

Wondering is there a tolerance Tesla has for alignment servicing?

At the end of the day not an issue for me and am very happy with the car.

Long Range All-Wheel Drive
All Black Premium Interior
Midnight Silver Metallic
19’’ Gemini Wheels
Autopilot
Pay Per Use Supercharging

Watching all the videos and reading all the horror stories is making me consider canceling my Model Y.

Tesla is now asking me to get everything in order, but I'm just not sure.

My biggest concern is that making a service appointment for all the issues I'm hearing about (which Tesla seems to acknowledge are a LOT and too many). I'm about 4 hours away from the nearest service center, and I get conflicting answers is mobile service will come to me.

I really want to get electric, but just not sure. This is an $80,000+ car in Canada which can buy me practically any other car on the market. The decision was set but now I'm getting cold feet.
Today J.D. Power rated Tesla the worst car on the planet according to Tesla’s own customers.

Traditional Car Dealerships use 'dealer prep' to fix all this kind of stuff before turning the car over the a buyer.
While Tesla struggles with quality control on paint and gaps, the service centers should be required to
sort this out before turning the car over to the buyer. The buyer should never see this stuff.
You honestly believe Ford or GM doesn't have these kinds of issues. You're dreaming. They are fixed
during dealer prep. You'd be amazed what a little touch up paint by a pro-detailer can do and what a body experts
can do to adjust hoods or trunks or doors. It's an art.
Sorry but you don't know what you are talking about.

Dealer prep at Ford and Chevy dealers? When was the last time you worked at one? You may be referring to 40 or 50 years ago. Today delivery prep for nearly all the units is essentially just a good cleaning.

No reason Elon can't match their QC. When Tesla was operating on a shoestring it was understandable. They now have the $ to fix the QC issues. C'mon Elon! Would likely save them $ versus all the money they are spending in the field as it can be done far more efficiently on the line.