Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I change my wheel choice?

Which Wheels

Votes: 11 33.3%

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nik095

Aug 19, 2020
UAE
Hey everyone! Patiently waiting to join the Tesla family I have an order in for a Blue AWD LR with 19" sport wheels.

My commute is 130 miles (210km) round trip at 80/85mph (130-140kmh) with only home charging available.
At work my car would be sitting in the shade (still scorching hot) for about 8-10 hours at a time.
Ill be doing the round trip 10-15 times a month at max.

The climate where I am is always summer with 100f-120f (40-50 celcius) so I'd be using the AC heavily.

I've had a look at the teslike range table and where my choice of wheels does seem reasonable but again this is done under controlled environments.

If I factor in
- AC consumption
- Battery degradation
- Charging only to 89-90% at a time

Is it a better idea to stick with the 18s given my commute is somewhat lengthy and done at all highway speeds or do you think I'll be fine range wise with the sport wheels or should I go for the 18’s?

Hey everyone! Patiently waiting to join the Tesla family I have an order in for a Blue AWD LR with 19" sport wheels.

My commute is 130 miles (210km) round trip at 80/85mph (130-140kmh) with only home charging available.
At work my car would be sitting in the shade (still scorching hot) for about 8-10 hours at a time.

The climate where I am is always summer with 100f-120f (40-50 celcius) so I'd be using the AC heavily.

I've had a look at the teslike range table and where my choice of wheels does seem reasonable but again this is done under controlled environments.

If I factor in
- AC consumption
- Battery degradation

Is it a better idea to stick with the 18s given my commute is somewhat lengthy and done at all highway speeds or do you think I'll be fine range wise with the sport wheels or should I go for the 18’s?
I’d say go with 19s. With the LR you will have enough range plus they look better lol If I were you I’d start finding a solution for faster charging at home. I’m not buying the Tesla home charger but I’m doing the 14-50 outlet that’s just a little slower, 7mi/hr slower, and not cost $500. You’d then have to get the adapter for $35 and that’s it.

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR82XS
I’d say go with 19s. With the LR you will have enough range plus they look better lol If I were you I’d start finding a solution for faster charging at home. I’m not buying the Tesla home charger but I’m doing the 14-50 outlet that’s just a little slower, 7mi/hr slower, and not cost $500. You’d then have to get the adapter for $35 and that’s it.

Ive decided against installing the wall connector, I’m going to stick with the UMC and install a 32A single phase commando plug which should give me around 7KW and 28 miles (44km) an hour. Just waiting on my apartment buildings management approval :mad:

Reactions: ropogigio724

If I factor in
- AC consumption
- Battery degradation

As long as you plan to charge every day on a connection that will refill your car, either wheel should be fine. the main thing you will be looking at as far as your range, is the speed. driving 130 miles at 80-85 MPH is likely going to roll off something like 175-180 miles off the rated range (just taking a guess), so as long as you are planning to recharge fully every night, either one would be fine.

You are not going to be able to make that trip on back to back days without charging, though, not at those speeds.... Unless you charged to 100% and drove down below 10%.

Reactions: outdoors

If I factor in
- AC consumption
- Battery degradation

Stick with the 18s. They fave better mileage for one thing. For another, the 19s are low profile, which means they are more susceptible to being damaged. Also, the 19s are $1,500 more expensive.

Finally, I think the aero wheels look much better. But that's a very subjective thing.

One last thing: get what you want; if you don't, you won't be happy.

Reactions: tche93 and outdoors
If every little bit of range counts, the 18s is the way to go, but I recently switched to the 19s for the looks and I prefer to have low-profile tires. In your situation, the difference in range isn't that critical, so I'd keep the 19s.

I've had both. The biggest difference is the ride quality. It's a bit softer with the wider sidewall.

Range at 85 is a bit lower but if you charge every night and it doesn't get cold where you are at, get what you like.

I personally like the 18's even tho the 19's look nicer.

I personally don't like big wheels due to ride quality, but that's just me. My mom's civic that has 16s is actually softer than my Model 3 with 18s when going through bumps despite being a cheaper car...

Objectively the 19s look better for sure, but the 18s without the Aero Covers don't look too bad either.

You can always go with the 18s to save the money, then go for aftermarket wheels if you want to.

Reactions: tche93 and hcdavis3
You can always go with the 18s to save the money, then go for aftermarket wheels if you want to.

This is exactly what I’m doing. I do like the look of the sport wheels (especially that darker colour on the performance M3) but I’ll be using my aero 18’s for the winter and getting some aftermarket wheels for the summer! The upgrade to 19’s is $2000 in Canada and I know I can get some pretty lightweight aftermarket wheels to put on for cheaper than $2000 :)

Reactions: outdoors