Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I charge to 100% (night before trip) if my first supercharger stop is only 80 miles away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't knock the S into Neutral - whereas I used to knock the Stick-Shift ICE into Neutral often (for hypermiling)

Is there any reason not to shift into Neutral in an S in order to coast? Any harm going to come to anything, or other things to be aware of?

I would certainly find Neutral easier than trying to feather the throttle to get exactly 0 kW (which requires eyes-off-road to check the instrument cluster)
Not to put a damper on your quest, but you might check your local laws... I think that, at least at one time here in California, driving in neutral was actually illegal. No clue why, other than the reduced control you have over the car when going downhill. Not sure how anyone would know otherwise, but the car probably records such events if it came to data mining after an incident.

I've found that EVs follow the laws of physics remarkably well. What you use going up hill is pretty much returned when going down, so let the car use its regen and call it close enough.

What a surprise!

Minus what you lose due to... <friction, etc.>
Of course. I guess the point is that between Physics and Regen it all works pretty well, and the vehicle's estimates aren't very far off in a round trip. As an example, I took a drive in my Roadster from my house at elevation 1,200 ft, up the mountain to a park at elevation 5,200 ft. One-way map distance of 38 miles. It took 62 "ideal miles" to get there, and 16 to get back; total 78 (delta of 2 miles from theoretical). This was at highway speeds, more or less, and I didn't go out of my way to hypermile any of it.

Just drive, enjoy the scenery, and watch for the odd idiot driver. The car will take care of the rest.

Whilst I rather like one-pedal-deriving I would much prefer that regen was on Brake pedal, and Brake pedal always worked the same

One of the best things about driving a Tesla is the way it handles regen. It would be a huge mistake for Tesla to go to brake pedal regen just for the relatively few times the vast majority of people charge to 100%.

It takes a lot of brake pedal pressure, compared to normal, to stop 2.5 tons when there is no regen available

It takes a lot of pressure to press the brake pedal? Mine doesn't. It just that when you lift off the electron pedal there's no "grab". But the dotted line alerts me to that and it's only for a brief time on trips. It's a small trade off for one foot driving.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
[coasting in neutral is] illegal in many jurisdictions

Including mine. Not something I've ever understood, unless it's some obsolete reason that is no longer relevant perhaps?

That said I do think that Neutral in BEV is less "safe" then in stick-shift ICE.

In stick-shift if I actually needed to slow down in a hurry apart from jumping on the brakes I would also select a lower gear.

If I was in Neutral I would also jump on the brakes and select a lower gear.

If I was in, say, 6th and jumped on the brakes the engine-braking would have pretty virtually no benefit, whereas selecting a lower gear would contribute.

In Model S I have to actively re-engage Drive, and that's not a normal driving requirement, so would be an extra action and thus perhaps less safe.

I've asked the question, as to why "coasting in neutral" is illegal, before and never really found a valid reason.

It takes a lot of pressure to press the brake pedal?

Interest you don't find that. I have a junction about 4 miles from home at the bottom of a hill and it is noticeably harder work to stop if I have no regen than using both regen and brakes. However, I'll do a more careful, and hopefully subjective!, test next time and see what if I'm just deluding myself.

It would be a huge mistake for Tesla to go to brake pedal regen

Interested to hear your views on why you think that.

I'm very happy with one-pedal-driving, its just that I feel that there are edge conditions where it is not as good and, jumping between various vehicles, I would definitely prefer they all operated the same (of course we'd never get any change/improvements if that was a requirement)

I wonder if any of these recent "The car just took off and crashed" are related to one-pedal-driving. e.g. maybe the driver thought they were barking and pressed thee pedal that their foot was on for the "final stop" but actually shot forwards ...

I used to hypermile using neutral in a Prius all the time. It was a distracting game to play to maximize the mpg.

I did that for a while in the Tesla too but eventually I decided that electricity is so cheap it just isn't worth the effort unless I really need to conserve power to make my destination or a charger and am in danger of running out of charge and i need to hypermile as efficiently as possible.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Still trying to get my head around being pulled over for driving in neutral.

I believe it is deemed to be "not in control" ... bit old fashioned compared to Texting / Emails, Doing makeup, Watching a movie!! ... seems to me that it is not that much different to eating-something or smoking a cigarette, or even maybe changing radio channel.

I've seen mention that making an emergency stop, in gear, provides more engine braking but in a high gear I don't get a lot of engine braking, I'd need to change down to achieve that (which I can do FROM neutral, obviously) - not even sure that engine braking is much of a thing on an Automatic?

...and waste time.

This is what I was discussing. I have watched people passing on a curve, on a hill, because it was wasting SO much time driving behind someone *only* doing the speed limit. I have seen those same people get to the hotel and turn on the TV and spend time profitably watching a game show.

What I was saying, and what I am saying, is that a wait of three minutes is nothing. People discussing the horrors of having to wait at a charger might be the same ones who will drive ten miles to a local supercharger and wait for an hour so they won't have to pay ten bucks for a charge overnight at a home outlet.

It's the part about the waiting that I can't understand.

I don't knock the S into Neutral - whereas I used to knock the Stick-Shift ICE into Neutral often (for hypermiling)

Is there any reason not to shift into Neutral in an S in order to coast? Any harm going to come to anything, or other things to be aware of?

I would certainly find Neutral easier than trying to feather the throttle to get exactly 0 kW (which requires eyes-off-road to check the instrument cluster)

I wonder what neutral is. Does it maintain 0Kw usage, or does it turn off the inverter completely? If it's the latter, that could save energy. An induction motor uses energy even if it's not producing any torque just to keep the rotating magnetic field synchronous with the speed of the rotor. So 0Kw usage would actually have to bleed some of the cars kinetic energy. Whereas if the inverter is off, no power would be consumed. I suppose it could also just make zero torque which would mean some kw draw from the battery.

Wow, skipped to last page. Never seen a thread veer so far OT.

Here's what I do not understand in OP. If first SC is 80 miles, then next one is probably in range from 100% charge (i.e., within say 230 mi). Personally, I'd charge to 100% at home and drive to 2nd SC, even if I had to drive a little slower to assure getting there. That would be most time effective.

I wouldn't want to leave it at 100% overnight - time at high SoC (or high temperatures) is what most degrades the pack.

In the situation you described, I'd probably charge to 90% the night before, then set the limit to 100% as soon as I got up, and leave with whatever it got up to when I was ready to leave.
Yep, that is what I generally do too. It gets to mid 90's % by the time I'm ready to leave.

Wow, skipped to last page. Never seen a thread veer so far OT.

Here's what I do not understand in OP. If first SC is 80 miles, then next one is probably in range from 100% charge (i.e., within say 230 mi). Personally, I'd charge to 100% at home and drive to 2nd SC, even if I had to drive a little slower to assure getting there. That would be most time effective.
Having a 3 year old doesn't allow me to drive nonstop for 200+ miles

What I decided to do was charge to 90% during the night and bump it up to 100% when I woke up in the morning as suggested in this thread. The car made it up to 100% while we were packing up to go. We didn't need to spend that much time at the first supercharger beyond getting out to used the bathroom. 2nd stop was for lunch and a quick trip to the store while charging to get a few things we forget to pack.

Overall we spent more time at the superchargers than "necessary" because well he's 3 and one time we were getting in the car to leave a supercharger and he needed to goto the the bathroom again, not gonna chance that and good thing we didn't.

If I was driving solo I could have skipped about two stops if I was driving conservatively. That said I drove most of the trip around 75mph and averaged 297 Wh/mi over 749.5 miles.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Having a 3 year old doesn't allow me to drive nonstop for 200+ miles
Heh, yeah, most people I talk with who have little kids totally get the Supercharger spacing/timing. I had someone tell me, "If we stop, and they get out of the car, it's at least 45 minutes because of: Now I have to go to the bathroom too, etc." 20-30 minutes every couple of hours seems perfectly normal to them.