TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should I clean dust between washes?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PluggedINLife, Apr 30, 2017.

1. PluggedINLife

PluggedINLife Member

Curious on what everyone thinks about dusting the exterior of your Tesla in between washes. I have a black one so the dust is very visible but am I risking particles scratching the paint?

2. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

3. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

The California Duster is an item you can get from an auto parts store that does a great job of lifting not scratching when you dust. Don't let it build up, dust every day when your car is dry. If you just came out to the street to drive it, take it to work and THEN dust, or do it in your garage. Don't want morning dew to cause the dust to stick and scrape.

Honestly I have given up on the duster, too much work. It's only for you, no one else is going to notice. And if you notice, just wash it. We have a $5 touchless car watch at the local Raily's. When there is buildup, I take the car to the dealership and have them hand wash it. Very little issues with my paint, but I do have the dealer paint protection added to the surface and recently re-applied after a small amount of body work.

-Randy

• Like x 1
  4. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Just put it in Ludicrous Mode and let the person behind you eat your dust!

• Funny x 5
  5. msnow

msnow Active Member

It's perfectly fine to use a CA Duster very lightly on your car in between washes. I've had my car almost two years and have no swirls whatsoever using this method.

6. PluggedINLife

PluggedINLife Member

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

7. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

Jut use a waterless wash product or spray detailer
    i had a CA duster and if not careful it will scratch your cars.

8. idealsol

idealsol Member

Exactly what I do
    I use Optimum no rinse in a spray bottle and can spray and wipe down the car with microfiber towels in 10 minutes or so
    I've tried my California duster but if not careful you can scratch the Tesla paint

9. scottflys

scottflys Member

So you just use a sponge or spray bottle with this ONR and then wipe the dirt with a towel and it doesn't scratch your car? Its this correct?

10. idealsol

idealsol Member

Yep
    If you've done a rinseless wash before it's pretty much the same idea. Just no bucket
    I usually use a cap of the Optimum no rinse in a spray bottle. Shake well. I do an area at a time. Spray some solution. Let it sit there a short time.Then wipe down in straight lines. Dry with another microfiber. Just make sure your towels are clean. You fold into quarters so you have 4 clean towel sections to work with. I usually go through 2-3 cleaning towels.

One caution. Be careful not to drop you towels or touch the ground with them. Microfiber towels attract everything and are very hard to clean if you picks up debris

• Informative x 1
  11. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I would not use a duster.
    A brushless car wash or even a strong hose would be safer.
    Also, make sure you have at least a good synthetic wax, to protect the paint as much as possible.

12. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

Yep Optimum is great stuff and i use it as well.

13. msnow

msnow Active Member

Nah, duster is fine, just use it when it very very lightly. Lots of posts on this topic if you search. Also some analytics from Junkman. Like I said I use it one or twice a week for almost two years and zero swirls and I detail my car myself. You will get swirls if the car is very dirty and you put pressure on the duster.

• Informative x 1
  14. marty2112

marty2112 Member

Agree. Duster is fine. Never had any issues. They ship new with a wax film on the dusters. Don't know why, but takes awhile to break in and not have any residue left on your car.