Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I do annual service??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The annual service is much more than rotating tires. After my last service 13 items were addressed including upgrading pillar joints and panoramic roof upgrades. The list was quite extensive and the car came back much quieter with an almost new feeling. That's after 17,000 miles the service is simply top notch in Columbus, Ohio.

I highly recommend staying with all recommended service on such a great vehicle. The improvements simply keep coming to make the car the best ever.

That's my thought process. I did prepay for all 8 years and 100,000 miles to save on the cost.

---Kent

I had exactly the same experience items addressed (including rotating the tires), and the car came back much quieter and felt like new. EXCEPT... it wasn't part of an annual service, merely the 12V battery replacement which Tesla called me about.

There is a fix list that they'll perform whenever you take the car in, service agreement or not. (I don't have a service agreement, and haven't paid for an annual service yet).

I would assume they do things such as checking the metal content of the reduction gear lubricant and that the torque specifications of the suspension are correct. Having the service performed (as in purchasing the prepaid plan) means that you don't have to worry whether the particular item is covered by warranty or not.

According to the annual service document the only torque check is for the steering gear and that isn't done until year 5. For the most part the service is visual checks with a few replacements. Personally I wouldn't assume they are doing anything that isn't on that list, and all of the extra fixes people are reporting seem to be done whether your car is brought in for annual service or any other reason ..

I received an email from ownership, as follows:

Hi ...,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. We have loosened the mileage interval limitations. We have set the expectation that a 4 service plan is free of any type of mileage limitation but each annual service must be used in its given year. That is to say, to maximize the benefit of your plan, you would be best served by bringing your vehicle in annually to utilize all 4 visits. While we still recommend servicing the car every 12.5k miles, annual service is not a stipulation for maintaining your warranty, or extended warranty. If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to reach out to me directly at (650)681-6788.

Best,

Derek Shu | Ownership Experience Advocate
3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
[email protected] | (877)79-TESLA

Now that is interesting! I drive about 25K a year, and purchased 4+4+Ranger, and plan on keeping car for at least 8 years. My main concern has been what is happening after I used 4+4 years @ 12.5K/year up after 4 years @25k/year driving. Can I purchase more service packages? I purchased the full package for peace of mind.

Thanks for confirming, AmpedRealtor!

I received an email from ownership, as follows:

Hi ...,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. We have loosened the mileage interval limitations. We have set the expectation that a 4 service plan is free of any type of mileage limitation but each annual service must be used in its given year. That is to say, to maximize the benefit of your plan, you would be best served by bringing your vehicle in annually to utilize all 4 visits. While we still recommend servicing the car every 12.5k miles, annual service is not a stipulation for maintaining your warranty, or extended warranty. If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to reach out to me directly at (650)681-6788.

Best,

Derek Shu | Ownership Experience Advocate
3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
[email protected] | (877)79-TESLA