Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I duct tape the passenger door to keep it closed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had that problem like crazy with the Gen 1 handles that came with my car. With no "play" when you pulled on them, I'm convinced they were just too much of a "hair trigger" and when they extended, they would sometimes trip the switch that activates the release solenoid. The replacement handles have a bit of motion when you pull on them which eliminates this problem. Fortunately for me, most of the time it was the left rear door that would pop, so I just got used to closing it as I got out and closed the drivers door. Sometimes it was one of the doors on the passenger side, and that was a nuisance.

Back in my college days, I drove an old beater whose passenger door latch would freeze in the winter and not catch and hold the door closed. I simply tied a rope between the drivers door and passenger door across my belly after I got in. If I turned sharply to the left, the rope would stretch and the door would open about 8"!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but my passenger door sometimes makes a weird clunk noise when opened or closed. Opening it again it will sound normal, but it has to sit for a while and then it will make the noise again. I questioned this during a recent service call and one technician said he has seen this before and I should ask the manager, which I did, but he said it was because the passenger door was heavier than the driver door. The technician seemed to know something but couldn't say anything else when I questioned him after.

This happen to anyone else?

Not sure if it's the same issue, but my right rear door makes a noise, almost like something was hitting metal when the door is shut. Noticed it when my son got into the car and closed the door. Made a sound like the seat belt latch was in the door jamb when the door was closed.

Took me awhile to see that the exterior handle was loose. Apparently the noise is the handle itself moving (guessing here) around in the door when it's closed. The odd part is, the handle seems to tighten up by itself (wtf!? lol) and the noise goes away. I have not scheduled service for it yet.