Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I fix this before returning a lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this look bad? Should I call a mobile car repair guy to repair this before returning the lease.

It’s under the car.

DEC09385-FCBC-4B11-A0AB-6BF85DC5DE91.jpeg
54A38AB9-7B18-4C1C-A54C-7C8EE5E4DFE9.jpeg
FC7E8BC4-FCC6-4328-AA15-AF34D31FF266.jpeg

I will suggest you read through tesla's lease return guidelines, which they have online here:

Then, you can make a decision on whether you want to fix or not fix something, understanding that if you dont fix something that is chargeable, you may get charged for it.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Does this look bad?
According to the above Tesla Excess Wear and use guide: "Scratches that break the paint that are 4” or more in length" is considered "excessive". Sounds like you should have them repaired, but having the bumper repaired and painted may cause a mismatched color which is also not allowed. Have the entire car repainted and your probably good. You asked the internet. Or you could just turn it in as is and then let Tesla tell you how much you own them to fix it.

According to the above Tesla Excess Wear and use guide: "Scratches that break the paint that are 4” or more in length" is considered "excessive". Sounds like you should have them repaired, but having the bumper repaired and painted may cause a mismatched color which is also not allowed. Have the entire car repainted and your probably good. You asked the internet. Or you could just turn it in as is and then let Tesla tell you how much you own them to fix it.

By the guide, those are 100% excessive scratches and scuffs (and it looks like more than one area from the pictures). If the OP doesnt fix it, they will likely be charged for it by Tesla. How much, I dont know, but they should be prepared for an invoice "later" and not surprised when one comes, if they turn it in in that state, especially since the used car market has softened some.

Whether that could be taken care of by a mobile repair, and not a body shop, I happen to doubt since its all the way through the paint but I am certainly not an expert on that topic. The OP should go by whats in teslas guide I posted above, which is that this is likely excessive, and then decide accordingly.

Reactions: pikeman
I am not sure about Tesla, in past leasing experiences, some dealers will send out pre-inspection personnel to inspect the car and make sure there are no major surprises before you return the car.

I will fix it if I were you, but I will check with some detail guys to see if touch-up paint is enough to cover them (quite large from the picture but not sure if it is the zoom effects or not), as long as it is good enough and not easily visible from a few feet away, it should be alright.

Reactions: pikeman
most likely the large one you took a pic of is the only one you'd be charged for if not fixed. I've returned leases to Tesla previously but my last most recent return in April was a lot more detailed than previous years. They seem to be nit-picking a lot more. I've never been charged for returning a lease with tinted windows and this time they charged me. The inspector also went through taking pictures of every panel, even measuring the paint thickness to see if any panels were repainted.

The cost they will charge to fix the bumper will probably be a lot more than you can get to fix it sufficiently enough to not be charged. So I would ask around for a few quotes

• Informative
Reactions: cbdream99
most likely the large one you took a pic of is the only one you'd be charged for if not fixed. I've returned leases to Tesla previously but my last most recent return in April was a lot more detailed than previous years. They seem to be nit-picking a lot more. I've never been charged for returning a lease with tinted windows and this time they charged me. The inspector also went through taking pictures of every panel, even measuring the paint thickness to see if any panels were repainted.

The cost they will charge to fix the bumper will probably be a lot more than you can get to fix it sufficiently enough to not be charged. So I would ask around for a few quotes
I had the exact same experience - of course, maybe its just the SD office doing this, but I ended with a big bill for a repainted bumper for something similar to the OP's picture, plus had to pay for a scratch on the rear glass :(

Dude, the car is totaled !

I would get an estimate from a body shop, and then decide whether to fix it after Tesla tells you how much they're penalizing you after they inspect it.

Too complicated and too expansive.
Step 1: Get some white spray paint and masking tape from AutoZone, and 6-pack from a wine store.
Step 2: Mask the area, spray over the scratch. Less is more, multiple light passes dry faster then one heavy layer that may streak.
Step 3: Open a beer and pat yourself on the back!

HTH,
a

Dude, the car is totaled !

Too complicated and too expansive.
Step 1: Get some white spray paint and masking tape from AutoZone, and 6-pack from a wine store.
Step 2: Mask the area, spray over the scratch. Less is more, multiple light passes dry faster then one heavy layer that may streak.
Step 3: Open a beer and pat yourself on the back!

HTH,
a
Step 4: post pics of the result! ;)

If I were in your shoes I'd get some touch up paint and see if they accept it. I bet a full repaint of that bumper is ~$800 based on my previous experience.

For example, my girlfriends car got hit and run in a parking lot and this is how it turned out with a touch up pen (marker) and some polishing. Might have a different outcome on a white car.

fl5b6Ex.jpg
tfUPsZN.jpg

Reactions: afadeev