Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I full ppf my new white model y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping for some input. Getting my white 2021 MY within the week. So stoked. Been trying to decide on ppf or not and full vs front only. It is white, no garage, parked outside not under trees or power lines. In San Diego so weather not huge issue. Wanting to keep car a while but not sure if they cost is worth it. Would love some input from the group. Thanks so much.

My opinion: it’s not a museum piece, so a ‘full front’ can give you 99% of the protection at less than 50% of the cost. There will be a slight texture difference between the film and the original paint, but you need to be up-close and looking for it. Save the rest of the money for something more fun!

Reactions: 2101Guy
Depends. I had full front. Loved it.
Ended up getting full bumper because of the dogs jumping in and out.
Regretted not getting full body because random rocks scratched the side of the car.
Also, makes washing the car a breeze
This time, going with xpel stealth for the matte finish as white as my paint as well.

You can say you can pay the same amount or less to repaint the entire car. But, having been in accidents, people don't realize how difficult it is to get the paint to match factory. Even Tesla themselves can barely do it.

It’s pricy, but if you keep cars, the Model Y will last a long time.

Also get a 12 inch piece of the ppf from the installer for future repairs.

I had a rock strike on the rear panel, about the size of a dime. The paint was fine, but the ppf tore. I lifted the tear, cut it off with a razor blade. Using scissors, cut a 1 inch circle and applied over the hole. After a year of sun, It seems to have blended. I can’t ”find” it anymore. Even when hand washing, it’s invisible.

The cars look new every time I wash them. But I need to vacuum the inside more often... it’s always something...

It’s pricy, but if you keep cars, the Model Y will last a long time.

Also get a 12 inch piece of the ppf from the installer for future repairs.

I had a rock strike on the rear panel, about the size of a dime. The paint was fine, but the ppf tore. I lifted the tear, cut it off with a razor blade. Using scissors, cut a 1 inch circle and applied over the hole. After a year of sun, It seems to have blended. I can’t ”find” it anymore. Even when hand washing, it’s invisible.

The cars look new every time I wash them. But I need to vacuum the inside more often... it’s always something...
So you went with just the front or the full wrap?

That is what I was man. I am leaning right now towards a full front and window tint. $2300 in San Diego.
Still pondering the full wrap but have till next Wednesday to decide haha. Just didn’t want to have a big gap between pick up and some kind of wrap.

Hope you can get your car in as soon as you have your car delivered. My appointment for ppf was 3 weeks out and didn’t think nothing of it. After having the ppf installed and checking it out, I noticed I had multiple paint chips on front bumper from rocks in that 3 weeks waiting. Felt like a bummer after getting ppf with the bumper in that condition already.

Hope you can get your car in as soon as you have your car delivered. My appointment for ppf was 3 weeks out and didn’t think nothing of it. After having the ppf installed and checking it out, I noticed I had multiple paint chips on front bumper from rocks in that 3 weeks waiting. Felt like a bummer after getting ppf with the bumper in that condition already.
I think it will be at most 2-3 days. Will keep it tight haha. You just do front?

This is what I was afraid of as well. My appointment is in a week, in the mean time I have another car to drive.

The installer usually does paint correction before applying the film, they should of given you the option of whether or not to install the PPF or apply touch up paint after finding the rock chips.

Reactions: mswlogo
This is a topic that just keep on giving. Bottomline, PPF if you want to physically protect your paint (after you decide what value aka $$ you can tolerate). Decide if you want high-risk, high-impact area or entire car. I just posted a video on the process and how I think about this topic.

Reactions: PineNut
Having gone through the exact same questions in my head, I feel I can safely give accurate and relevant advice on this topic.

Buy as much PPF as you can afford or are willing to spend.

I paid $1600 for a full frontal suntek PPF. It was a plotted install as opposed to bulk. 60% of the edges wrap, but there are some visible edges/seams. Whatever. The install itself was done with a close attention to detail and I wasn't willing to spend $3k to have the car dismantled and every edge wrapped. It's just not worth my money.

So 4 weeks after install, I caught a rock on the highway and it hit my driver door leaving 2-3 small gash marks. OF COURSE. No PPF there.

Do I wish I had the car fully PPF'd? I don't know. A full PPF job would have easily been $3-4k. THAT IS A LOT OF MONEY. Like A LOT A LOT. I feel like I hit the sweet spot with what I paid vs what I got... and knowing that I still might catch some damage in other areas...I should just save the difference and use that savings to just do the repairs.

PLUS, like it was stated prior... this is a CAR, not a museum specimen. Go drive it. Get it dirty. Dents and dings and scratches and chips suck, but it's part of car ownership. Do your best to protect your car, but at some point spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on protection is the same as over insuring your car...and then you're just throwing away money.

So again... buy as much PPF as you can afford or are willing to spend.