TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should I get a 2 year old reservation for model 3 for a $500 premium or just create new reservation

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by vijju, Jul 8, 2018.

1. vijju

vijju Member

I'm in market to get a Model 3. I spoke to a seller who was willing to sell his reservation for a $500 premium. In light of recent events, I've heard that people who are creating reservations now are also getting the same wait time.

Do you guys think I should just create my own reservation and order?
    Thanks

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yes create your own and select a Performance 3 :eek:

3. vijju

vijju Member

Thanks but performance is out of my budget range. I'm planning to order AWD with no performance. I'm ok with RWD as well if that means I'll get the car few months ahead.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I don’t think you will get any advantage purchasing a slot just create your own ...priority is for P’s and AWDs

• Like x 1
  5. ghostaudi6

ghostaudi6 Member

Since you're going for the AWD, I would make a deposit and wait to configure

6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

If you mean that he will sell his $1000 reservation for $500, I think that beats paying $1,000 to get in a line that is going to last longer.

7. mfa1

mfa1 Member

From what I understand somebody’s trying to seek you his reservation for $500 premium - meaning for total $1500?
    If that’s correct then no need to get that.

If you reserve now you’ll get to configure your order very soon and if you have a favorable configuration and location you might end up getting the car sooner than a lot of us who have been waiting since 4/2016.

8. vijju

vijju Member

9. SigNC

SigNC Member

If you create an account now and select RWD LR, with no trade in, you may get your car a LOT sooner than you think.

• Like x 1
  10. Koflach

Koflach Member

Unless you live in Canada. We seem to be getting the shaft right now.

11. GoodOmens

GoodOmens Member

Orders seems to be prioritized now based on configuration date (Paying the $1000 reservation +$2500 configuration deposits). There seems to be no priority anymore based on reservation date.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. Evoixse

Evoixse Member

So what happens If you edit design then? Does it still go off the date you paid the 2500 configuration deposit?

13. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Yes, I think you should just create your own reservation. It's not clear that the existing reservation queue has any effect at all on delivery time, in my opinion. Others disagree.

14. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

My guess is you're still in the order queue, but the configuration you pick may delay delivery. If you pick an RWD car they have on a lot somewhere that is as yet unclaimed, you could get an instant VIN. If you pick a configuration that isn't built yet, you could wait a while--up to 5 months, maybe. And I believe you have no way of knowing any of that today. So pick the car you want; be patient.

15. Krash

Krash Data Technician

It is certainly worth $500 to get an AWD before the federal tax declines, if that is part of your calculation.

16. Hammonddave

Hammonddave Member

There is no indication that anyone who configured with get their AWD before the end of the year. I configured on 6/28 and still no word... and I am buying TWO Teslas!

I was also told by Tesla that you cannot transfer a reservation or order (my brother wanted to do this). You would have to buy the car, take delivery, then sell it. Seems like a lot of hassle for only $500. And don’t forget about paying sales tax twice.

17. Koflach

Koflach Member

you can rather easily transfer a reservation and Tesla will be okay with it. The person with the reservation can simply give the other person their login info and then have them change all the contact info to them and proceed as normal. If Tesla questions you on it just tell them the original reservation holder was a family member (brother/sister/cousin).

18. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

@vijju, that reminds me. You may want to review the Tesla Model 3 Reservation Agreement, particularly item # 4.
    https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/model_3_reservation_agreement.pdf
    I seriously doubt Tesla would consent to a transfer between unrelated parties, and particularly when it's "sold" at a profit.

19. shanejackson

shanejackson Member

Canadians should be happy, they benefited from Tesla diverting a lot of 3's there to extend US tax incentives. If not for that Canadians may still be waiting for the configurator to open.

• Like x 1
  20. Mayo

Mayo Member

If your considering the max fed credit in your purchase plan then you might want to buy his reservation. A friend of mine has recently config his two new model 3 and tesla has given him a delivery estimatation for sometime in September. Now if you have been paying attention Tesla has never really made good on thier delivery goals with a few exceptions. What this means is you will miss the full Fed Income Credit. Based on what I have read Tesla is estimated to meet its 200,000 mark in early Q-2 of 2018 This gives Tesla from April 1st to September 31 2018 to make as many model 3 for its customers in the USA that will qualify for the full credit. After that date it drops from $7,500.00 to $3,750.00. Just something to consider in your decision.

Now about the Reservation Transfer. Tesla will not quiz you about the purchase. They have this policy to keep scammers and resellers at bay. I gave my reservation to a dear friend in the family. It went smoothly no issues and no questions were asked. When you go to config the model 3 you inter all your information under the registered owner section. Have the seller change the contact name and telephone number in his or her my tesla section of his account to your name and number so the Sales Dept contacts you during the purchase. After the sale you send an email to Tesla Tech Support along with a copy of your Drivers License and ask them to activate your own my tesla account. Its really is that simple. YOu do however need to have trust in the seller to follow these steps... GOOD LUCK