Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a 90D instead of 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only reason opposes me is that my wife and my mom and my dead are going to kill me, for they are already unhappy now.
Well, and $140 more monthly loan.
In the first glance, $10,000 for the

Deadline to make the change: Jan 2nd.
Pros:
1. Confidence on road trip. 20 miles range left when arriving on a SC is much less anxious than arriving with 5 miles left
2. Higher charge speed at SC
3. Higher driving speed with confidence because more range
4. Longer battery life. As others suggested before, 8 years later the battery degrades to 90%. That is 231.3 mile for the 90D, while 213 miles on 75D. That 213 range is not very useful. Maybe not able to complete some road trip without annoying super long charge time.
5. Spontaneous trip: for some trip you might need 75D to be 100% charged, and with 90D you might be able to go with whatever range you have after coming back from the office.
6. Higher acceleration: might not ever really be used, but for occasionally showing off 4.8 sec is much better than 75D's 0-60 in 6 sec. And since you own a Model X, people might come to you and nudge you to show off quite often.

PS. Do you guys think the $3300 interior upgrade worth it? I already add PUP but that's mainly for the HEPA and the ventilated chair.

@Quesder, I had the same struggle as well. I'm also in NY. After reading so many post about the decrease millage in the winter time, I decided to get the 90D. Less range anxiety, higher performance, and I can drive however I want it, instead of driving like a grandpa in winter time. :)

I wouldn't put that much money in interior upgrade. Now that I have it, I found none of the options are really that important to be must have items.

Reactions: vrykolas
Personal opinion, of course. But I agree, and after four plus years of driving Model S, I still advise, "Always take more range." In a few more years, the payments will not be as daunting, but you will always want range. You can go faster, and you can skip chargers, or you can charge faster when you charge. It's all good. Your battery will last longer, your peace will increase. Your car beats the others off the line, and that's worth something!

I vote yes. Sorry for your wife and dad, but they just don't know. My wife and I, after driving a RAV4EV for 6 years, chose to give up the bigger house, the bigger TV, chose not quite so many nights eating out, and chose the 90 kWh battery (with the D, for more range)

Good luck.

I went with 90, and skipped all the interior stuff except heated seats/wheel. I think it is just enough to avoid most range concerns. Everyone I know with a tesla said range, range, range. My loaner with P and PUP and fancy leather and presenting doors is real nice and making me wish I had everything, but I'm happy to at least always have some range and acceleration. Also, the acceleration isn't just for show. I've found it super helpful for passing and onramps.

Reactions: vrykolas
I took more range but took the multi pattern interior and no pup. I did take the 22 black turbines for looks and handling. Absolutely loving it!

Attachments

• IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: NikeWings
There's only a small band of destinations where the 90 is enough but the 75 isn't. Likewise, the difference between 213 and 231 is small, and unless you happen to do a lot of driving in that range, either both will be fine or both will have challenges. Supercharging for road trips will only get easier over time, with shorter hops and more options.

Charging 14% faster is a valid point, and makes me wonder if I made the right choice - but in practice, on normal road trips I'm never waiting for the car even with the 75.

The higher acceleration is also a valid point, but my 75 is the fastest car I've owned and I don't think more would really help me that much - and it is enough to impress people (but I would like the faster car...)

I have trouble believing that the long term resale value of the 90 will be enough more than the 75 to get the whole difference back - especially if battery costs come down as expected and the cars have to compete with a new 3 and Y for buyers, with newer 100D and 120D cars pushing the price down.

Reactions: gabeincal
Hi guys, I forgot to mention that I will register the car at Fremont, Santa Clara county, CA. Will the weather still be a problem? I heard that very high temperature will also affect the Charing speed, too, probably also the range. I plan to drive to SoCal two or three times a year

I've yet to see anyone get into range trouble because they had too much range!!

Plenty of stories here where people ran short and had to really modify their driving style and/or travel plans.

I seriously doubt you'll ever kick yourself for buying more range.

Good luck with your decision.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
I like the 90D letting me skip superchargers vs the 70. At times the SC isn't immediately off the highway and you can save time and aggravation by skipping it. At times it can be 30 minutes round trip to the SC plus charge time.

More range makes trips faster and less stressful. Wish I had a 100D!

Probably depends how often you're going to take road trips. If they'll be rare, and you don't care about extra acceleration, the 70 would be better. I'm sure you will love it either way.

Something to think of with the bigger battery is it's not only just a milage thing. The other day in my S I sat in stupid traffic and didn't move for an hour and it was ~freezing outside. I lost 3-5 percent not moving with the heat on. With how unpredictable things in life can be those few extra miles may help some day, or not. Fwiw my wife in the car gets extremely uncomfortable when the trip calculator shows 5-10% of range left so for your wife and mom who are already skeptical that extra range may also out them ease the time they are in the car for a long trip. /ramble over :)

Same issue. Picking up a 60D for metro NY area. Have the upgrade path to the 75 but wondering about the 90D. Worry about resale when the 3's come out. That said, the range difference between the 75D and 90D is only 30 miles or less. The acceleration angle is cool but not worth 20k over the 60D upfront. Think the answer might be to lease instead of buying and see where we are in 3 years....

what is use scenario, when are u going to exceed 90% range or even 80% range without avail. supercharger or alternatve. if you don't save the money
There's only a small band of destinations where the 90 is enough but the 75 isn't. Likewise, the difference between 213 and 231 is small, and unless you happen to do a lot of driving in that range, either both will be fine or both will have challenges. Supercharging for road trips will only get easier over time, with shorter hops and more options.

Charging 14% faster is a valid point, and makes me wonder if I made the right choice - but in practice, on normal road trips I'm never waiting for the car even with the 75.

A friend and I both did the same drive across Kansas this week. I have a 90D and he has a 60D. I was able to do 77 to 80 mph for the 150 miles between the Hays and Goodland Superchargers. I arrived with about 60 miles remaining. He had to limp along at 55 mph at times and arrived with only 7 miles remaining. I only had to charge about 20 minutes in Goodland but I think he needed a full charge to make it to the next Supercharger. Fortunately they are planning on adding another Supercharger that would make the trip easier for those with smaller capacity batteries. I'll have to ask if he'll be upgrading to 75 kWh once he gets his tax refunds next year.

Last edited: