Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a model S 90D than a 2019 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which car do you like better?

The S and 3 are very different. I have and like both. Pros/cons to each.

The 2017 would have AP2.0 (early) or AP2.5 (~aug or after). Supposedly either can support FSD. Just like the 3. Vapor ware at the moment. No one Really knows what will happen.

Which car do you like better?

The S and 3 are very different. I have and like both. Pros/cons to each.

The 2017 would have AP2.0 (early) or AP2.5 (~aug or after). Supposedly either can support FSD. Just like the 3. Vapor ware at the moment. No one Really knows what will happen.

It will be my first Tesla if I do buy. What would you recommend? Is the model S a better deal or the model 3?

I don't know, but that seems like an incredible deal on the S. 2017 has AP 2.0 or 2.5, refreshed front end, slightly improved interior. The 90D has great range and the later models had lower battery degradation. 9800 miles for only $48k? Those go for $60k+ on the tesla website. My guess is it does not have the air suspension, which I think makes a huge difference in ride, but no worse than the model 3.

NoMoGas is right - make sure it is not a salvage. Have it checked out carefully and see if Tesla can give you any info.

The cars are so different there is really no right answer. Have you driven both? Do you frequently travel with a lot of people or stuff? The S holds more, smoother ride, harder to park. The 3 drive is more sporty. Smaller cargo capacity and rear seating isn't as comfortable w/ 3.

The new 3 is clearly the safer bet. New car under warranty and no surprises.

The S is a great price, still has warranty left (if not salvaged or been any any sort of accident that Tesla cancelled the warranty) and has already taken that first huge depreciation hit.. 2 years left on the warranty should make that one OK too.

Do you know the build month of the S? It might have older hardware (AP2.0) that would have a slower screen and some limited functionality like no sentry mode (AP2.0 has a fake sentry mode - looks like it is doing something but unable to actually record video).

NoMoGas is right - make sure it is not a salvage. Have it checked out carefully and see if Tesla can give you any info.

The cars are so different there is really no right answer. Have you driven both? Do you frequently travel with a lot of people or stuff? The S holds more, smoother ride, harder to park. The 3 drive is more sporty. Smaller cargo capacity and rear seating isn't as comfortable w/ 3.

The new 3 is clearly the safer bet. New car under warranty and no surprises.

The S is a great price, still has warranty left (if not salvaged or been any any sort of accident that Tesla cancelled the warranty) and has already taken that first huge depreciation hit.. 2 years left on the warranty should make that one OK too.

Do you know the build month of the S? It might have older hardware (AP2.0) that would have a slower screen and some limited functionality like no sentry mode (AP2.0 has a fake sentry mode - looks like it is doing something but unable to actually record video).

I have a Jan 2017 S90D build that came with HW 2.0. I also have the FSD option.

It’s true that Sentry doesn’t record but it at least still gives the warnings and flashes the lights when someone is near. I have separate dashcams for recording anyway with higher res.

Couple things to answer first.
1) Are you going to use this car on road trips?
Model 3 if you value your time.
Model S if you value carrying a lot of stuff on road trips.

2) Assuming both cars have autopilot, do you want to be future proof in terms of software compatibility and hardware?
Model 3 if Yes, otherwise get the 90D

3) Are you going to put a lots of miles on your car in a short period of time?
90D if Yes, otherwise get the model 3.

There might be others, but like others have mentioned, make sure it is not a salvage and verify all the features, i.e. if free unlimited supercharging transfers, clean record, verify range and supercharging speed. 90D are notorious to have supercharging speed slowed after high supercharging usage, but how many can the user do at only 10K miles?

The cost is a bit low for the mileage IMO so it might be a scam.

Reactions: brkaus
I have a Jan 2017 S90D build that came with HW 2.0. I also have the FSD option.

It’s true that Sentry doesn’t record but it at least still gives the warnings and flashes the lights when someone is near. I have separate dashcams for recording anyway with higher res.
Me to - Mine's Jan or Feb.

I just didn't want someone to hop in the car, see the "sentry" icon, and assume full functionality.

Only a very small chance that a 2017 S90D would have transferrable unlimited supercharging. @SO16 might know exact dates w/ a Jan build. Mine is not transferable.

Mine is transferable. But only to the next owner. If from a dealer, all bets are off.

I ordered mine on election night 2016. I think the stipulation was if you ordered by Jan 15 2017 (originally Dec 31, 2016) and received by March 2017, you would get the transferable free supercharging. It definitely was in flux during this time period. Just confirm with Tesla or have the previous owner check their account web page. (Get a screenshot).