Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, so feel free to move it to the appropriate location if necessary.

For the last 8 or 9 months I have went back and forth over the decision to buy an MS. I was about ready to pull the trigger on the 40 and wouldn't you know it, they pulled it from production and I was back to square one. 99.99% of my driving is less then 100 miles in a day so I thought at the time that the 60 was overkill but now with the expansion of the supercharger network, I can justify it (I can justify a lot of things though:)).

I have talked myself into believing it is almost a no brainer to pull the trigger on an MS60, relatively standard options with only the supercharger access added. I would be putting down about $15k as the down payment, so that would make the purchase price around $75k, which makes a loan of around $60k +Tax (anyone know what the tax rate is for Los Angeles county on a purchase like this, I'm new to the area). So my payment is going to be around $900 give or take a $25ish. My current car payment is around $450, throw in monthly gas, periodic oil changes, etc and the monthly TCO is probably closer to $750, and thats probably being very conservative. I also get reimbursed for mileage at work, which I drive in the range of 50 miles in a slow week and 250 on a busy week.

Am I crazy to think the decision to buy an MS60 is a no brainer or is there something I am not considering?

If the finances work out for you, you'll love it. On your busy week you'll be reimbursed maybe $100 since the fuel will only cost you $10 (electricity) and you'll get about 52cents/mile for the mileage.
No car this expensive ever makes true financial sense but with your ability to write off some mileage that certainly helps. Especially if you can swing by a Supercharger now and then.
I'd consider the tech package with your car too as that's a good option I think.

You are asking us if you should buy it? We all went through the same decision process. I started thinking the 40 was enough and over many months of waiting I convinced myself I needed an almost fully loaded 85. I have no regrets and thoroughly enjoy the car.

Also, you're going to be getting $10'000 back in Federal and CA taxes (which doesn't look like you've subtracted yet), so it's even better than your numbers above.

Agree with dsm363 - you should get the Tech package.

Beware that the $2500 from CA is currently out of funds and there's a waiting list. So, the rebate is a few months off, presuming they re-fund it. That said, I didn't let that slow me down in my decision to commit.

Beware that the $2500 from CA is currently out of funds and there's a waiting list. So, the rebate is a few months off, presuming they re-fund it. That said, I didn't let that slow me down in my decision to commit.

Ah, thanks for that info, I had not heard that. I was on the website the other night and it mentioned something about the fund was expected to last until 2015 depending on participation.

For those suggesting the Tech package, am I wrong in assuming that the only tangible items in that package are the turn by turn GPS navigation and Xenon headlights? The rest seams like convenience type items that personally don't hold much monetarily value for me. If I were to go with the Tech package, I would drop the Pano, leather and metallic paint to bring the cost back in line with my target. Is the textile interior "Leatherette" like other standard interior options on luxury sedans?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you're going to be getting $10'000 back in Federal and CA taxes (which doesn't look like you've subtracted yet), so it's even better than your numbers above.

Agree with dsm363 - you should get the Tech package.

Your right, I purposely didn't include that in my budgeting. I figure if $7,500 is the difference in buying or not buying, I probably shouldn't be buying. Plus, effectively that rebate will pay for the tax, title, registraction, etc on the vehicle which I can only assuming is not going to be cheap here in CA.

after 7,500 miles of driving the S, I have no hesitations recommending it. I would, however, highly recommend going with the 85kW. you just don't know how compelled you are going to be to go on long road trips until you have some miles behind you in this car!

Depending on finances, go for the 85 kWh, tech, leather, and dual chargers in that order. What price do you put on pure enjoyment and the freedom to go 200 miles without thinking of SuperChargers? We are all different, but I'll wager that what ever you omit from the above options, you will regret.

My regret? Well, maybe the performance model, but I'm doing OK without that extra 10-12K spent.

You are asking us if you should buy it? We all went through the same decision process. I started thinking the 40 was enough and over many months of waiting I convinced myself I needed an almost fully loaded 85. I have no regrets and thoroughly enjoy the car.
Even though I am asking if I should buy it, I am actually just looking for a sounding board for expenses/considerations surrounding the purchase that I haven't considered so that when I do make a decision, I will do so based on as many variables as possible at the time of the decision.

Depending on finances, go for the 85 kWh, tech, leather, and dual chargers in that order. What price do you put on pure enjoyment and the freedom to go 200 miles without thinking of SuperChargers? We are all different, but I'll wager that what ever you omit from the above options, you will regret.

My regret? Well, maybe the performance model, but I'm doing OK without that extra 10-12K spent.
85kwh is the way to go, BUT since Elon announced that 60kwh packs can upgrade to 85kwh packs via the swap stations, it really isn't a must when ordering a car.

85kwh is the way to go, BUT since Elon announced that 60kwh packs can upgrade to 85kwh packs via the swap stations, it really isn't a must when ordering a car.
While I would love to have the 85kwh, it would essentially be paying an extra $8k for capacity that I would need maybe 0.0001% of the time. Even I can't justify that. And the ability to upgrade after the fact gives me the flexibility to go to the 85 should my situation change in some way that would require the additional capacity.

While I would love to have the 85kwh, it would essentially be paying an extra $8k for capacity that I would need maybe 0.0001% of the time. Even I can't justify that. And the ability to upgrade after the fact gives me the flexibility to go to the 85 should my situation change in some way that would require the additional capacity.

You do get the additional performance, the 85kWh is faster. If that is something you care about.

Ah, thanks for that info, I had not heard that. I was on the website the other night and it mentioned something about the fund was expected to last until 2015 depending on participation.

For those suggesting the Tech package, am I wrong in assuming that the only tangible items in that package are the turn by turn GPS navigation and Xenon headlights? The rest seams like convenience type items that personally don't hold much monetarily value for me. If I were to go with the Tech package, I would drop the Pano, leather and metallic paint to bring the cost back in line with my target. Is the textile interior "Leatherette" like other standard interior options on luxury sedans?

It is but think Xenon headlights are a worthwhile safety feature alone but the turn by turn maps and the automatic keyless entry are really nice too. I personally would put the tech package above pano roof and metallic paint if I had to cut out some options. I can't remember if the textile seats have seat memory anymore (they've changed) so ask about that. The 85 kWh is more useful that it seems even if you rarely take longer trips but is an expensive option.

Last edited:
Until I know more details on the 60/85 swap, I'll stand by my 85 recommendation. If need be, skip everything else, even though you will regret the absence of the tech package.

I've had my car for barely six months, and a 60 kWh would have easily fulfilled all my needs to date. But having owned an EV for two years, I am certain that the day is just around the corner when I will be thankful that I purchased the "unneeded" capacity. Repeating myself, we are all different, and I agonized over options, but the 85 kWh battery was never in question from the git-go.

Oh, do skip the $250 parcel shelf - I didn't.:cursing:

by all means do what makes sense for you. I can only say that of all the options, range is the one that is worth it's weight in gold and under worse case scenario with cold weather, major elevation gain, wind, rain, snow etc, your range can be half the rated. After two years of EV driving, I've come to the conclusion that the value of added range is not relative to frequency of long distance trips. I find that the long, infrequent trips are of very high value especially because they often involve having the car full of people and every hour, or should I say day, sitting trying to charge at 12A/110V makes me wish there was an even larger battery option. all that capacity does not go to waste when it's not used, it just gives you more buffer for the unexpected if you do mid pack charging to extend battery life as recommended by Tesla.

by all means do what makes sense for you. I can only say that of all the options, range is the one that is worth it's weight in gold and under worse case scenario with cold weather, major elevation gain, wind, rain, snow etc, your range can be half the rated. After two years of EV driving, I've come to the conclusion that the value of added range is not relative to frequency of long distance trips. I find that the long, infrequent trips are of very high value especially because they often involve having the car full of people and every hour, or should I say day, sitting trying to charge at 12A/110V makes me wish there was an even larger battery option. all that capacity does not go to waste when it's not used, it just gives you more buffer for the unexpected if you do mid pack charging to extend battery life as recommended by Tesla.

Thanks for the input, all very great points about the additional battery capacity. Need for capacity is one of the things about going from an ICE to an EV that is tough for me. My driving habits are X right now, but in 3 years it is very possible that they will be Y. Is the price difference between the 60 and 85 worth the value? At this point I would say no, but 6 months down the road I could be singing a different tune. However, with the battery swap option available, I have an upgrade path that would allow me to grow into the 85 should I find the need too. If I go with the 85 right out of the gate, I can't really downgrade and get cash back should I find myself never actually using/needing the additional capacity. Having said that, I doubt the after purchase upgrade from 60 to 85 is going to be $8k, it will likely be more expensive.

I am anxiously waiting for Tesla to call me back. I sent a note on the website to request a test drive and they mention it could take 2-3 days for them to get back to me, but I thought for sure they would call me today and get me in the car as soon as they could. I'm fairly certain once I take a test drive that the decision will go from "Should I buy an MS?" to "Should I go with the 60 or 85?"

It is but think Xenon headlights are a worthwhile safety feature alone but the turn by turn maps and the automatic keyless entry are really nice too. I personally would but the tech package above pano roof and metallic paint if I had to cut out some options. I can't remember if the textile seats have seat memory anymore (they've changed) so ask about that. The 85 kWh is more useful that it seems even if you rarely take longer trips but is an expensive option.

Keyless entry is REALLY nice. Get the Tech package if for no other reason you don't want to replace your $300 keyfob every few months :).

But the power rear liftgate & memory seats is also definitely not something I would give up.

Get the performance plus before the dual chargers

- - - Updated - - -

Get the performance plus before the dual chargers