Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a Model X 2016 or 2017

2016? or 2017?

Votes: 7 50.0%

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys

So I am planning to get a model X and I placed a deposit on a 2016 model X. The dealer is giving me a huge discount on the 2016 which pulled me away from the 2017. This MX is brand new with 50 kms but it has been in the showroom for 3 weeks. The build is:

Model X 90D

Dual Motor All Wheel Drive

White Solid Paint

20" Silver Wheels

Black Leather Seats

Obeche Wood Gloss Décor

Light Headliner

Six Seat Interior

Matching Yacht Floor

Supercharger Enabled

Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features

Smart Air Suspension

Ultra High Fidelity Sound

Subzero Weather Package

The car was listed for $140k cdn but I got it for $118k . A new 2017 MX is $154K cdn with the same build but it would have PUP and enhanced autopilot . If I go with the 2017 I would be getting HW2 autopilot which will future proof me for the coming years. How ever the difference would be $36k cdn on the purchase prices.

Is it worth spending the extra money for the 2017? It would be nice to have new autopilot hardware but i can't justifying spending that much money for it.

Do you guys think the 2016 MX is a good deal? I am getting 22k off the sticker price.

Your Opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would see the savings as 50 percent off a future Model 3 which will have AP2.

My AP2 car off the lot had way less safety and automation than the Chevy Volt. Still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Save the money.

I would see the savings as 50 percent off a future Model 3 which will have AP2.

My AP2 car off the lot had way less safety and automation than the Chevy Volt. Still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Save the money.
Yes Model 3 is much cheaper but I can't wait 2 years for that car. Plus the X is more practical for my use.

Ap2 is going to be great when tesla launches it fully. I also know that tesla are building new batteries but was disappointed that they wont be using it on their MS and MX. It would be great to have as I feel like it would support supercharger v3. Then again I am sure there is a battery upgrade option.

Yes Model 3 is much cheaper but I can't wait 2 years for that car. Plus the X is more practical for my use.

Ap2 is going to be great when tesla launches it fully. I also know that tesla are building new batteries but was disappointed that they wont be using it on their MS and MX. It would be great to have as I feel like it would support supercharger v3. Then again I am sure there is a battery upgrade option.
How long do you plan to keep the Model X? If you tend to keep your cars a long time I would go for the 2017 but if you're like me and change every 2-3 years save a few bucks and buy the 2016 inventory car. AP1 is still incredible and very enjoyable and other than that there aren't a lot of differences. You wouldn't get $30k of extra enjoyment from a 2017 vs the 2016 IMO.

Also... shameless plug for a referral code if you haven't got one to use yet - 6 days left and I could use one more :). Referral | Tesla

Tough one. I was torn by a similar situation.

As a single car growing family with a 6-8 year plan of ownership, the X was the most appropriate option for us. That means we also are not planning on getting the 3 later. After deciding on that, we then had to figure out which X. In the end we made a list of what was most important. Autopilot/Self-driving came out on top. Autopilot hw1 is great in bumper to bumper traffic and in clearly marked lined roads with a car to follow but outside of that, it seems a bit of a party trick. Enhanced autopilot should be more reliable and usable within a few months and then continue to excel rapidly.

Two other notes on 2016/2017:
1) the 'discount' you are getting will probably be realized in some form but not too much. Particularly once AP2 starts showing off its ability. Today's resale of a late 2014 S with Autopilot HW1 is selling for ~10k more than a late 2014 S without Autopilot HW1.
2) If you order a 2017 now and get it just before April 15th, you get to gamble on picking up new features that have yet to be revealed: e.g. HUD, new battery trim options, supercharger V3 support, new upgraded MCU (current touchscreen is starting to show its age). Granted, that's gambling because you might get 0 new options but chances are Tesla will announce something after Jan 15th to stoke sales again.

Given that, we dialled back on other custom build trim/options (darn you Canadian $). We ended up deciding that for the extra 30km range and <1sec faster 0-100, the 90D wasn't worth ~12k or w/e it is to us. We also thought multi-pattern seats would be more kid+dog durable. Dark figured ash was preferred to the other more expensive wood options. And while we would have liked upgraded sound and winter package, ~5k wasn't worth it either. Plus we hear the X default sound system is better than the original S upgraded high fidelity sound system. And with regards to the the subzero pkg, the X has heated side view mirrors + front seats by default.

For us, in the end we got a 6 seat 75D stripped of most options. We got the tow package which is handy for bikes/ski trips and small trailer dump runs especially since middle row doesn't fold down. Only other option we got was EAP. Total came out to 120K. Granted this was just before end of Nov CAD price hike but for a similar price of the 118k 2016 X you are being offered, we ended up with a 2017 AP2. Sorry for the verbose brain dump. I know your priorities might vary wildly but that's my point: if Autopilot is not on the top of your list, and the extra range + sound/winter packages are more important, the 2016 sounds like the better option for you and you should do that! :)

Last edited:
The car was listed for $140k cdn but I got it for $118k

looking at this more, that's quite the savings you are getting on top of an already 140k priced discount. I feel your pain on this decision. I'd still say the biggest factor is what is most important and how long you plan on keeping the car.

<1sec faster 0-100, the 90D wasn't worth

I was wrong here. the 90D is actually more than 1sec 0-100 faster, it's 1.2sec faster than 75D

looking at this more, that's quite the savings you are getting on top of an already 140k priced discount. I feel your pain on this decision. I'd still say the biggest factor is what is most important and how long you plan on keeping the car.

I was wrong here. the 90D is actually more than 1sec 0-100 faster, it's 1.2sec faster than 75D
Thanks for the feedback.

I am expecting to keep the car for 6 years or more. Unless tesla doesn't upgrade the battery for older model then there might be a switch in the near future. It would be nice to have the battery charge within in 15 mins.

Keep in mind this 2016 doesn't have the PUP and alcantara lining finish. Would $ 118k still be a great deal. I test drove the MX and I loved the dark interior made it look more luxury for some reason. So I configure a MX 17 on the tesla website and a 17 without PUP and tow package it s 147k . The cdn definilatley increased the prices over the past few months.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Does anyone know if tesla will be adding new features to model x after jan 15?
They're always adding features. But they don't follow "model years" like other manufacturers do. They announce them whenever they're ready, not at a set time.

As for the 2016s, I'd be hesitant to get a 2016 build. The very earliest Model Xs were known to have reliability issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lbkmxp100d
If you buy the '16 and in 6 -12 months when hopefully AP2 software has far surpassed AP1 in all area including safety would you wish you would have paid the extra $ for AP2? Also, at that time if for some reason you did want to sell you would have a much more desirable asset.

Considering your keeping the car for 6 years, I would pay more for the '17 model year as opposed to the cheaper '16. The additional expense is also spread over those years instead of someone keeping for 2-3 years and having paid $30k more.

At the end of the day money is money so after weighing all the differences is it worth the 29k additional price tag?

Reactions: Ormond
Think about Tesla differently than traditional cars:
1. Tesla doesn't have dealers. It's a Tesla store.
2. Tesla doesn't do model years, so you're asking the wrong question. The question really is an inventory car with autopilot hardware version 1, or a new car with autopilot hardware version 2.

They're always adding features. But they don't follow "model years" like other manufacturers do. They announce them whenever they're ready, not at a set time.

As for the 2016s, I'd be hesitant to get a 2016 build. The very earliest Model Xs were known to have reliability issues.
Whoops. Please note, I forgot we're in 2017. I was thinking of the 2015 builds.

The next question on AP is whether the new TESLA hire, from Apple will obsolete the current AP2 hardware and, if so, when...

I could see this causing hesitancy for some would be purchasers.

Thank you very much

Fury
Very much doubt they'll obsolete the current AP2 hardware for many years/decades. However, the charge-port connector will probably get upgraded and not be backwards-compatible. And they'll rename it to something like "lightning connector". ;)

• Funny
Reactions: TexasEV and Ormond