Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a new VIN - Please help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had delivery scheduled for 9/21 and was there for over 4hrs before I was shown my car (matching VIN). While there, it seemed like a comedy of errors, three different people talked to me and later realized they didn’t know of each other. Long story short after almost 4 hours of waiting, I was asked to basically start over and fill out/sign all the same paper work, which I had signed during the first 30 minutes I was there.

Here is where things go bad. After completing the paper work, I was finally shown my car (yet by another person, who seemed clueless and barely said a word), but it’s 9:30pm at this point and very dark out. I told them I needed to inspect the car, they drove the car close to the store where there was some light (not good enough). After looking at the car for just a few minutes, I noticed a couple of things, so asked them to please move the car inside, which he didn’t do until hi boss (?) told him it was ok.

I noticed quite a few paint imperfections, center console looked awful and B pillar not flushed. There is basically no one at the store at this point, and the clueless guy (clearly just wanted to go home) just said to call the store within 24hrs to schedule a service appointment and they’ll take care of it. As I started to pull away, when I spotted the guy that took my paper work, so called his attention and showed him all the issues. He was very nice, but really tried to minimize them all and said car has been inspected to their standards. What!

In any case, he said I could leave it and they’ll take care of it, or I can take it and schedule an appointment. I told him I rather leave it. He went inside and a few mins later came back out and said is better if I take the car and in the contract he jotted down what was wrong (minus b pillar flush) and that someone would contact me to schedule a service appointment to fix the problems (also asked me to email him the pictures). Thought it sounded reasonable, but a minute later thought it didn’t make sense to take the car to have it sit in my driveway just to bring it back when they called. Also, I still have my 3 series, so no rush there. Again told him I prefer to leave it, and that’s when he gave me this story that it could be months before I get my car back and may need to assign a new VIN and couldn’t promise when it will be ready. It’s 10pm now, don’t have a ride home and having to wait months didn’t sound like a good option (federal credit). So I took the car and would just wait for the call - terrible decision.

Could barely sleep that night and first thing in the morning I emailed him back and told him, how bad an experience this was, don’t feel comfortable and will be bringing car back. He called me soon after and again repeated the “they are so backed up story” and added there is so much store traffic that car was safer in my driveway. Also asked me to scheduled a service appointment via my account. However, I decided I can’t keep this car and drove it back to the store (this is a little over 12 hours since I picked it up).

The worse, once I got there, he tells me I accepted delivery and this is now is a service matter not a delivery issue - What! I never wanted to take the car in the first place, and told him he knew I should have never taken it. They promised they’ll take care of it, the service guy came out to see the car and agreed to all the imperfections and suddenly, they could take the car in for repairs first thing Monday morning (thought they were so backed up)?

I’m growing concern and wonder if I should have just taken a new VIN. This feels like dishonesty on their part to pressure me to take the car. Now considering if I should exercise the 48hr return policy. I still want a Model 3, same configuration and as long as it doesn’t go past December, I can wait. I can be somewhat forgiving but just not feeling good about this delivery experience. Please advise.

Attachments

• C36D95AD-E42B-47F8-9508-633E8312FE5B.jpeg
    C36D95AD-E42B-47F8-9508-633E8312FE5B.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 67E14D84-520B-4042-AFB6-2374C6A36586.jpeg
    67E14D84-520B-4042-AFB6-2374C6A36586.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 58
  • AD9102B6-AFC7-4CE6-A4D0-02C96C498C9F.jpeg
    AD9102B6-AFC7-4CE6-A4D0-02C96C498C9F.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 70
  • A2496BC5-92F5-48FB-8E33-97095C1DD1C2.jpeg
    A2496BC5-92F5-48FB-8E33-97095C1DD1C2.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 59F9AD7C-9371-4374-A2AE-6E53FEFFA45E.jpeg
    59F9AD7C-9371-4374-A2AE-6E53FEFFA45E.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 9D63DBDC-A48E-466A-9189-443A0EFAE8BC.jpeg
    9D63DBDC-A48E-466A-9189-443A0EFAE8BC.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 1CA514FA-A14E-4C58-9D29-469E50775FED.jpeg
    1CA514FA-A14E-4C58-9D29-469E50775FED.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 69463F80-210F-4C28-A28D-2D95331DA108.jpeg
    69463F80-210F-4C28-A28D-2D95331DA108.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 74
  • 798A9F95-593F-4B5B-A2C8-48598199AC85.jpeg
    798A9F95-593F-4B5B-A2C8-48598199AC85.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 75
I would envoke the return policy.

You will get a car this year, there will be a huge end of Q4 push; worst case.

I would also use a different delivery center if you can. I was told by a sales associate that I could pick my delivery center if I ordered from her. Might try a pre-sales human.

Good luck.

Definite invoke the 48 hour return policy and get a new VIN. Don’t get stressed about it. Tell them in writing you are retuning the car for defects and are not happy. Ask for a manager if needed. I’m fairly lenient, and wouldn’t accept that especially after the way you were treated. Stand firm.

I'd reject this car. Mine had NONE of these issues, and yours has over a half-dozen legitimate concerns. In fact, I haven't seen pics of a worse car at delivery posted to the forum. You can tell the pressure the local delivery guys are under to just get the metal titled and migrated from Tesla's balance sheet to yours prior to 9/30. Don't let them win here. Unfortunately, the delivery experience will be so much better once the calendar says 10/1.

Here’s my delivery:
NJ Cherry Hill Delivery-mixed feelings
I kept mine mainly because the issues, as far as I’m concerned, can be taken care of. Your issues don’t look that bad but that can be very subjective. As far as I can tell the doors look the worst out of all your issues. But that’s a very easy fix-two new doors? My issue with the scrape and dent on door sill worries me on how they’ll fix that. My bumper as well as yours will most likely need repainting. Just hoping they can match it. Good luck whatever you decide.

Reactions: P85_DA
Reject the car and get a new VIN. They might have one that matches yours close already and they are going to try and get you in a car by next week before end of quarter. I went through this yesterday. If you want details or advice private message me and I'd be happy to help. A really high up person at Tesla told me yesterday (he works at Gigafactory and Freemont but at the SC for the delivery push) that we deserve a perfect car and that is that Tesla strives to do. Message me and I will walk you through it.

Be prepared to be at the service center for 3-4 hours - they just have a lot of paperwork that they have to do as well as dealing with other issues so just be prepared to wait. Hangout in the show room and answer questions for potential owners if you want!

Reject the car and get a new VIN. They might have one that matches yours close already and they are going to try and get you in a car by next week before end of quarter. I went through this yesterday. If you want details or advice private message me and I'd be happy to help. A really high up person at Tesla told me yesterday (he works at Gigafactory and Freemont but at the SC for the delivery push) that we deserve a perfect car and that is that Tesla strives to do. Message me and I will walk you through it.

Be prepared to be at the service center for 3-4 hours - they just have a lot of paperwork that they have to do as well as dealing with other issues so just be prepared to wait. Hangout in the show room and answer questions for potential owners if you want!
Thank you @Tjcross, honestly getting a new VIN does feel like the right thing to do here. I have sent an email to everyone I spoke to at tesla, expressing my disappointment and requesting a new VIN. I will wait to hear back from them, and will take you up on your offer. I will PM you for advise on next steps. Thanks a ton!

Reactions: suwaneedad