Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a public charging network account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a road trip coming up in a few weeks (Chicago to Oklahoma). Even though there are enough Superchargers along the way, I was wondering if I should still get an account with the public charging networks, just in case we miscalculated our remaining charge during the trip.

If you think it's worthwhile to get such an account, which one would you recommend? ChargePoint? EVGo? Blink?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

I have Blink and Charge Point. In four years, I've used Charge Point once. However, as it doesn't cost anything, it's handy to have. At one time EVGo charged something like $50 a month just to have their card (it included some charging). I think that's changed now, but it seemed way too expensive at the time.

I have them all and have used Blink, Chargepoint and EVGo when in a bind, so worth it for me (I have a Chademo adapter). Its very handy to have the cards, and most all were free to set up or required a small deposit (Blink). You can authorize a session with your phone, but I have encountered units that only worked with the rfid card and couldnt connect to the phone app for whatever reason.

We are still in the early stages of EV infrastructure so its best to be prepared IMHO.

I have Blink and Charge Point. In four years, I've used Charge Point once. However, as it doesn't cost anything, it's handy to have. At one time EVGo charged something like $50 a month just to have their card (it included some charging). I think that's changed now, but it seemed way too expensive at the time.

EVGo does have a no-fee membership. However, the CHAdeMO charging is $22/hour.

EVGo does have a no-fee membership. However, the CHAdeMO charging is $22/hour.

I hope they come out with a "big battery" plan that gets rid of the 30 minute session fees now that more long range EVs are out. Bolt owners will be relying on that network pretty heavily and I already see complaints on plugshare from them about the limits.

I hope they come out with a "big battery" plan that gets rid of the 30 minute session fees now that more long range EVs are out. Bolt owners will be relying on that network pretty heavily and I already see complaints on plugshare from them about the limits.

Yes, that is aggravating. However, even if they do away with the 30 min limit, Chademo will still be $17/hour.

In the 4 years we've had our S P85, we've used both Blink and Chargepoint.

Though... we haven't used any public chargers for the last two years, now that Tesla has more superchargers and there are more hotels with destination chargers.

But, the cost of having the commercial charger memberships is low, and like carrying the UMC around in the car, using the public chargers is a prudent fallback, should you have an emergency and discover you can't make it to a Tesla charger without adding a few miles of range at a commercial charger.

Reactions: dhrivnak and mrElbe
Are you saying the ChargePoint mobile app isn't supported by some of their stations? So far, I've relied on the app instead of keeping the card in the car. Wondering if I should keep the card in the car too.
I would definitely recommend keeping the card(s) in the car. I carry Chargepoint, Greenlots, and Blink. I've never used a Blink location, but on more than one occasion with both Chargepoint & Greenlots, I had to use the card because the network connection at the station was down. Also, I've heard of people in some remote locations that couldn't get a good cellular connection and had to use their card to charge. I'd feel pretty silly if I got stranded and couldn't charge, only because I didn't toss a couple tiny cards in my glove-box. :eek: