TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Should I get a public charging network account?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JClu, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:39 PM.

1. JClu

JClu Member

We have a road trip coming up in a few weeks (Chicago to Oklahoma). Even though there are enough Superchargers along the way, I was wondering if I should still get an account with the public charging networks, just in case we miscalculated our remaining charge during the trip.

If you think it's worthwhile to get such an account, which one would you recommend? ChargePoint? EVGo? Blink?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Supporting Member

I would get them all and keep them in the car. You never know when they might come in handy. I have used each of those you mention at least twice.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

ChargePoint for sure. I forgot I had mine in the glovebox as I ordered it before my Model S was delivered and it's come in handy a couple of times.

• Like x 1
  4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I have Blink and Charge Point. In four years, I've used Charge Point once. However, as it doesn't cost anything, it's handy to have. At one time EVGo charged something like $50 a month just to have their card (it included some charging). I think that's changed now, but it seemed way too expensive at the time.

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I have them all and have used Blink, Chargepoint and EVGo when in a bind, so worth it for me (I have a Chademo adapter). Its very handy to have the cards, and most all were free to set up or required a small deposit (Blink). You can authorize a session with your phone, but I have encountered units that only worked with the rfid card and couldnt connect to the phone app for whatever reason.

We are still in the early stages of EV infrastructure so its best to be prepared IMHO.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  6. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

EVGo does have a no-fee membership. However, the CHAdeMO charging is $22/hour.

7. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

What he said.

The cost is minimal, it could save you a lot of time one day.

8. Az_Rael

I hope they come out with a "big battery" plan that gets rid of the 30 minute session fees now that more long range EVs are out. Bolt owners will be relying on that network pretty heavily and I already see complaints on plugshare from them about the limits.

9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Yes, that is aggravating. However, even if they do away with the 30 min limit, Chademo will still be $17/hour.

10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

many charge point stations need the card to initiate a charge, if you set up an account with them it could be done via a 800 # as well.

11. Az_Rael

And worth every penny if you need it.

Although I would imagine Bolt users might sign up for the paid plan to get 10c per minute and no session fees. Use it more than 3 times a month and its cheaper that way.

• Like x 1
  12. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

In the 4 years we've had our S P85, we've used both Blink and Chargepoint.

Though... we haven't used any public chargers for the last two years, now that Tesla has more superchargers and there are more hotels with destination chargers.

But, the cost of having the commercial charger memberships is low, and like carrying the UMC around in the car, using the public chargers is a prudent fallback, should you have an emergency and discover you can't make it to a Tesla charger without adding a few miles of range at a commercial charger.

• Like x 2
  13. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

Recommend having ChargePoint & Blink on hand just in case.

• Like x 1
  14. somnambule

somnambule Member

Are you saying the ChargePoint mobile app isn't supported by some of their stations? So far, I've relied on the app instead of keeping the card in the car. Wondering if I should keep the card in the car too.

15. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Member

I would definitely recommend keeping the card(s) in the car. I carry Chargepoint, Greenlots, and Blink. I've never used a Blink location, but on more than one occasion with both Chargepoint & Greenlots, I had to use the card because the network connection at the station was down. Also, I've heard of people in some remote locations that couldn't get a good cellular connection and had to use their card to charge. I'd feel pretty silly if I got stranded and couldn't charge, only because I didn't toss a couple tiny cards in my glove-box. :eek:

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  16. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I've never used the app to get a charge started, I always used the card

17. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

Charge point and EVconnect.
    Both free to sign up.

18. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

I'm a former pilot, and I'm still surprised how my lead foot gets me into trouble. Pilots always like options.

19. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I use the Blink app at work where our building pays for free charging thru their network. But its an underground parking structure and can be unreliable. Card for back up. Cheap insurance to carry these network cards for those unexpected times/events.

20. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

I've both Chargepoint and Blink cards in my car. I've used the former a few times. Nice insurance to have.

• Like x 1