Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Get a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could do, but you might want support from the forum during your wait.

There are also a number of BEVs available that would give you the hatchback utility and compact size. Not quite as quick to 60 as your X1,

We didn't get a Tesla because we prefer compact to mid-size, and don't expect much need for fast charging.
We test drove the Chevrolet Bolt, Hyundai Kona EV and Kia Niro EV and chose from one of those.
Each had their strengths and weaknesses.

Go test drive some BEVs!

Good point about the Bolt. Their slow charging keeps me from recommending them in general, but if road tripping isn't a concern it is a great, cost effective alternative with a hatch.

My Tesla has been the most reliable car I have owned. Keep in mind that electric cars have substantially fewer components than ICE cars, so less to break.

Also, if you do have an issue then a Mobile Tech can most likely come to your house and fix it there. Total game changer.
Mine too. I’m never going back to an ICE car...EVER.

Reactions: Akikiki
I have 2 Tesla’s one in 8 year old and the other is 4 years old, very few problems with either and have a good service center if I do have problems. Once you have an all electric vehicle you will never go back to an ICE, also keep in mind when you are on this forum you will hear of all the problems people have. Not to many post their good experiences and there is very little maintenance required, do not have to go to a gas station and help the environment.

I have 2 Tesla’s one in 8 year old and the other is 4 years old, very few problems with either and have a good service center if I do have problems. Once you have an all electric vehicle you will never go back to an ICE, also keep in mind when you are on this forum you will hear of all the problems people have. Not to many post their good experiences and there is very little maintenance required, do not have to go to a gas station and help the environment.
I looked at the VWID4, and it looked like a great car, but then test drove the model Y, and was sold. I put down a deposit on the VW, but canceled it,. The charging infrastructure of Tesla was important, since the area i live and travel to is much better served by Tesla. Plus driving the MY is amazing.
The big problem is, now my wife loves the MY, and has appropriated it. She tells me to use the KIa, and that she will give up the MY "over her dead body". Luckily the cargo space of the MY is great, but what do I do with the body?

I looked at the VWID4, and it looked like a great car, but then test drove the model Y, and was sold. I put down a deposit on the VW, but canceled it,. The charging infrastructure of Tesla was important, since the area i live and travel to is much better served by Tesla. Plus driving the MY is amazing.
The big problem is, now my wife loves the MY, and has appropriated it. She tells me to use the KIa, and that she will give up the MY "over her dead body". Luckily the cargo space of the MY is great, but what do I do with the body?

LOL. Can I get your wife to talk to mine? I have tried to talk her into driving my MY, and she has not done so since she does not like my stepping on the gas and zoom pass any car on the road!

At least there is no engine to blow up on a Tesla.

From what I've seen here, while there are occasionally more serious issues (as you would have with any car) a part of people's satisfaction with their Teslas has to do with their own expectations (and maybe also what cars they've owned in the past).

Mechanically speaking, as others have said, EVs are much more simple than ICE cars, so there is literally a lot less that can go wrong. Of course. there are always exceptions and freak accidents that can happen. I probably don't have to tell you this given that you just experienced a new Toyota Corolla, the supposed epitome of reliably, failing catastrophically.

As far as other issues, we picked up our Model Y at the end of December in the last 3 days of the year during the peak of the end-of-quarter rush, I did note a number of minor cosmetic issues (no panel gap issues though) at delivery, however these have all been addressed by Tesla service since then, and I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised with how well they addressed them especially given some of the other comments I'd read here.

In summary, I'd say you should go for it :)

LOL. Can I get your wife to talk to mine? I have tried to talk her into driving my MY, and she has not done so since she does not like my stepping on the gas and zoom pass any car on the road!

Off topic but I wonder how long it will take for "step on the gas" to change to "step on the accelerator" or "step on the watts". Probably a long time considering my step mother who has lived in a city for 20 years still says "I'm running into to town for (insert item)".

I have 2 Tesla’s one in 8 year old and the other is 4 years old, very few problems with either and have a good service center if I do have problems. Once you have an all electric vehicle you will never go back to an ICE, also keep in mind when you are on this forum you will hear of all the problems people have.
Not necessarily. I went back to ICE and during the first year or two of Tesla ownership I would NEVER have seen that coming!
Do I miss the acceleration? Yes.
Was it necessary or enjoyable. Enjoyable.
In the meantime I am watching all the EV's buzzing by me and one day I'll do it again.

Off topic but I wonder how long it will take for "step on the gas" to change to "step on the accelerator" or "step on the watts". Probably a long time considering my step mother who has lived in a city for 20 years still says "I'm running into to town for (insert item)".

I'm guessing never. As someone reminded me recently, noone ever says "step on the diesel". Its a pretty deeply ingrained euphemism.

I have owned my Model Y for 8 months and there is no way that I would trade it for a Model 3. I love my LR AWD Red with White/Black Interior with FSD...

I own a '65 XKE and a '72 TR6, both are fair weather weekend cars which in Ohio means May through September. I have owned almost every car that you can imagine and I am coming to the conclusion that the Model Y is my favorite daily drive I have ever owned...

A good way to compare different EVs is using ABBP
A Better Routeplanner

I realize you said mostly local driving,
but map out some longer routes that you are likely to take
And select the various cars you might want (3, S, Y, Mach E, Air, Rivian, ID.4, ...)
and see how they compare for those trips.

That method was an eye opener for me.

Yeah. I've been playing around with the better route planner and the LR Teslas seem to have a pretty huge advantage over pretty much everything else.

I have owned my Model Y for 8 months and there is no way that I would trade it for a Model 3. I love my LR AWD Red with White/Black Interior with FSD...

I own a '65 XKE and a '72 TR6, both are fair weather weekend cars which in Ohio means May through September. I have owned almost every car that you can imagine and I am coming to the conclusion that the Model Y is my favorite daily drive I have ever owned...
I had a 67 XKE a 76 XJS and a 97 XK8, loved them all but love my Tesla’s more.

• Love
Reactions: MikeHolliday