Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get new tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 LR dual motor M3 and just did a PA state inspection at 10k miles. My tires are at 5/32 on the Michelle MXM4s. The legal limit here is 2/32. At this rate I will barely get another 10k miles out of these tires. I’m not a spirited driver but occasionally like the rush of power with an avg 232 wh/mile.

Do I try to file a warranty claim with Michelin considering these tires are rated for 45k miles and ditch them now? Or keep till 2/32 and try a claim then? I read some people here had success with this. By the way I rotate my tires every 5k miles.

Michelin seems pretty good about honoring the warranty but haven't heard many, if any, who have had luck with OEM Continentals. I really want to replace the Conti ProContacts but was wondering if I should try to burn through them quickly and see if they would get warrantied since I don't think I could sell them for much.

Upvote 0
Michelin seems pretty good about honoring the warranty but haven't heard many, if any, who have had luck with OEM Continentals. I really want to replace the Conti ProContacts but was wondering if I should try to burn through them quickly and see if they would get warrantied since I don't think I could sell them for much.
Warranty them? And have them replaced with the same tire that you don't like?

If you hate your tires, just bite the bullet and replace them. I have had a number of new cars in my 55 years of driving. I can't say I have ever owned one where the OEM tires that it came with aren't crap. Low bidder you know.

Upvote 0
but haven't heard many, if any, who have had luck with OEM Continentals.
I had the MXM4's as OEM on my Tesla LR Model 3 and they were replaced at 30k mi with Conti Extreme Contact. I have 3k mi on the Conti's and they handle excellent with about a 10Wh efficiency hit. The OEM tires did not wear evenly. 3rd party shop replaced the tires but couldn't do an alignment. Tesla did an alignment, and the toe was slightly out on the front which caused the inner tire wear. If you have uneven tire wear, your Tesla could have been delivered out of wheel alignment.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Upvote 0
Warranty them? And have them replaced with the same tire that you don't like?

If you hate your tires, just bite the bullet and replace them. I have had a number of new cars in my 55 years of driving. I can't say I have ever owned one where the OEM tires that it came with aren't crap. Low bidder you know.
You don't have to replace them with the same tire. Usually warranty requires the same manufacturer, so another Continental tire would be required, but the ProContacts are not good for my needs.

Upvote 0
I had the MXM4's as OEM on my Tesla LR Model 3 and they were replaced at 30k mi with Conti Extreme Contact. I have 3k mi on the Conti's and they handle excellent with about a 10Wh efficiency hit. The OEM tires did not wear evenly. 3rd party shop replaced the tires but couldn't do an alignment. Tesla did an alignment, and the toe was slightly out on the front which caused the inner tire wear. If you have uneven tire wear, your Tesla could have been delivered out of wheel alignment.
Yea, i was referring to making a warranty claim for Continentals. Many have reported being successful making a claim on the Michelin OEMs

Upvote 0