Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get new tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 LR dual motor M3 and just did a PA state inspection at 10k miles. My tires are at 5/32 on the Michelle MXM4s. The legal limit here is 2/32. At this rate I will barely get another 10k miles out of these tires. I’m not a spirited driver but occasionally like the rush of power with an avg 232 wh/mile.

Do I try to file a warranty claim with Michelin considering these tires are rated for 45k miles and ditch them now? Or keep till 2/32 and try a claim then? I read some people here had success with this. By the way I rotate my tires every 5k miles.

I have a 2020 LR dual motor M3 and just did a PA state inspection at 10k miles. My tires are at 5/32 on the Michelle MXM4s. The legal limit here is 2/32. At this rate I will barely get another 10k miles out of these tires. I’m not a spirited driver but occasionally like the rush of power with an avg 232 wh/mile.

Do I try to file a warranty claim with Michelin considering these tires are rated for 45k miles and ditch them now? Or keep till 2/32 and try a claim then? I read some people here had success with this. By the way I rotate my tires every 5k miles.
Assuming you can get Michelin to do anything at all, they would not until they are legally worn out...

Reactions: CyberShy
Upvote 0
Factory tires are warranted not by the manufacturer of the vehicle but by the manufacturer of the tires. This is standard across the industry.

They will not get replaced under warranty unless there is a defect or if there is premature wear. And even then they will be pro-rated.

Enjoy the car and stop worrying so much. Address it when the time comes.

Upvote 0
Model 3 is a heavy car that rolls on relatively narrow tiers. It eats them up.
You didn't say how many miles you've put on the tires to date, but on my car with 28K miles, I've gone through 1 full set of summers and 1 full set of winters.

I would absolutely replace them before the winter arrives, as MXM4s will become absolutely worthless in the snow before too much longer!

Do I try to file a warranty claim with Michelin considering these tires are rated for 45k miles and ditch them now?

There is no warranty on OME tires, regardless of brand.
Definitely no warranty for OEM Michelins.

Yes even factory tires are covered by warranty. I also got 40% off at 3/32 then switched to pilot sport AS4s.
Factory tires are warranted not by the manufacturer of the vehicle but by the manufacturer of the tires. This is standard across the industry.
That is absolutely 100% FALSE.

From Michelin's web site:

1630454997923.png

Upvote 0
Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
That doesn't apply to all vehicles. Many people here have gotten credit on a new set of tires from warranty on OEM.

Micheline says 100% of OEM applications are excluded from the warranty. Pretty black and white.
Is this a reading comprehension disagreement ?

Now, you can go balls out and talk your way into a sales discount of some sort on a new set of tires (or none at all). The outcomes will depend on your level of aggressiveness, luck, cuteness, and other party's gullibility.

Advising others that there is a tire warranty, when none is provided, is 100% misleading.

a

Upvote 0
Micheline says 100% of OEM applications are excluded from the warranty. Pretty black and white.

Now, you can go balls out and talk your way into a sales discount of some sort on a new set of tires (or none at all). The outcomes will depend on your level of aggressiveness, luck, cuteness, and other party's gullibility.

Advising others that there is a tire warranty, when none is provided, is 100% misleading.

a
I made a warranty claim on OEM tires and got 40% off on another set, along with many others on this forum. You're in disbelief of new information.

Upvote 0

a
Michelin's OEM tire warranty ended for cars sold after 2018. My brother got a big discount for his tires on his 2018 Chrysler Pacifica, and I could have gotten a discount for my tires on my 2018 Model 3 (both with Michelin OEM tires). I've even read about some people with newer Teslas that got a "courtesy" discount or something like that through Michelin even though they technically aren't warrantying the OEM tires anymore. So it might be worth a try, you might be one of the lucky few.

Note that by "OEM" tires, it is meant that they are the original 4 tires that were delivered with the brand new car.

Reactions: afadeev
Upvote 0
At 31K miles, on my 2018 Model 3, I tried to get some money back on my OEM MXM4s, but no luck. Don't let that stop you from getting new tires if you need them. The most important thing is to go somewhere other than Tesla so you can get a warranty and road hazard guarantee. Tesla Service Centers hate doing tires and charge an arm and a leg for any tire service. The only reason you'll need to go there is because most tire places will not align a Tesla, but that should cost under $200.

Upvote 0
Yes even factory tires are covered by warranty. I also got 40% off at 3/32 then switched to pilot sport AS4s.
I was also able to get a 40% goodwill credit from Michelin!

The orignal Primacy MXM3 18" tires on my M3AWD were down to 3/32 front and 1/32 rear after 26K. THE TIRES WERE EVENLY WORN WITHOUT EVER HAVING BEEN ROTATED OR ALIGNED.

Michelin immediately gave me a claim number when I called them. Bought new tires from Discount Tire. When I arrived at the store the Discount Tire service rep called Michelin to confirm the condition of my old tires. After a few minutes on the phone Michelin gave me a 40% credit on my new tires! Also received a $110 online discount from Discount Tire for buying the tires online.

My new tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Acoustic (foam inserts). I was real close to choosing the cheaper Yokohama Advan Apex 601 but with the goodwill credit I will stick with Michelin for now. This time I will rotate regularly since they are summer tires and will wear out faster. Also helps Discount Tires offers free tire rotations.

Tesla had a good price on the Pilot Sport 4S but the install cost was too high. Pep Boys had a $218 closeout deal on the Pilot Sport 4S but stock was limited (only 7 available nationwide). In the end I decided that the Pilot Sport 4 Acoustic was a better fit for my driving style.

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
Upvote 0
I’m at 5/32 F and R after 4 years and 12k miles on the OEM MXM4’s. 9/32 on my winter Hakka 9’s with 20k miles.

On the summer tires I’ve done 4 auto crosses, 6 drag strip “test and tune” sessions and dive spirited but rotate ever 5k miles. Only run summer tires 4.5-5 months a year.

In terms of replacing, I’m planning on another summer out of mine but I run winter tires on all my vehicles. Depending on where In PARK and how much snow/ice you get consider a winter set and get another summer out of these? Or possibly new tires if you run them year round?

Upvote 0
I was also able to get a 40% goodwill credit from Michelin!

The orignal Primacy MXM3 18" tires on my M3AWD were down to 3/32 front and 1/32 rear after 26K. THE TIRES WERE EVENLY WORN WITHOUT EVER HAVING BEEN ROTATED OR ALIGNED.

Michelin immediately gave me a claim number when I called them. Bought new tires from Discount Tire. When I arrived at the store the Discount Tire service rep called Michelin to confirm the condition of my old tires. After a few minutes on the phone Michelin gave me a 40% credit on my new tires! Also received a $110 online discount from Discount Tire for buying the tires online.

My new tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Acoustic (foam inserts). I was real close to choosing the cheaper Yokohama Advan Apex 601 but with the goodwill credit I will stick with Michelin for now. This time I will rotate regularly since they are summer tires and will wear out faster. Also helps Discount Tires offers free tire rotations.

Tesla had a good price on the Pilot Sport 4S but the install cost was too high. Pep Boys had a $218 closeout deal on the Pilot Sport 4S but stock was limited (only 7 available nationwide). In the end I decided that the Pilot Sport 4 Acoustic was a better fit for my driving style.
Seems Discount Tire is expanding into the South Florida market. They opened a store in West Palm Beach last year. I went to thier Broward store in Weston, which just opened a month ago David Ortiz, the manager was very helpful and one of the service reps, Zito, drives a M3P so they are familiar with Teslas. They are opening stores in Davie and Miami soon. Hopefully they will have the Hialeah store open by the time I need my first rotation.

Upvote 0
Or even better, get a spare set of Aeros and TPMSs off Ebay, install winter tires locally, and have fun. Mom and pop shop I trust put Conti Vikingcontact 7 here, will test late October adding 15/25 spacers and mud flaps to reduce wobbliness of course:) Love the Aeros with the Tesla Shop center caps covering just the lugs.

Ditto for the lipless OEMs, need to get a decent tire to create enough lip to prevent curbing. The way I drive that will be in 2 years, even with seasonal swaps.

Upvote 0