Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get rid of my LR for a Plaid?

Keep Long Range or Switch to Plaid?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 2022 Model X LR 7 seater with all options (22" wheels, FSD, etc). Its an amazing and gorgeous vehicle.

However I am having some regret to not go for the Plaid. Money was not the reason I went with LR. It was the 7 seats and had the Plaid been offered with 7 seats I would have been all over it. I love their configurability 60/40 split middle row, usable back row, and the ability to completely fold flat. We dont have kids but we have 2 dogs. This seating arrangement can accommodate just about every scenario I can think of from carrying 2 dogs with dog crates, or carrying 7 people when family is visiting, or carrying large items. I mean some people even put a mattress back there for camping. Who knows the possibilities are all there. Logically I think it fits our needs the best.

Now the emotional part. Plaid is awesome. Don't get me wrong the performance of the LR is VERY GOOD, enough that I probably wouldn't be tapping into it all the time. For the Plaid, it's the fact that it's an opportunity to own the fastest SUV on the planet and probably the 2nd fastest vehicle. I think I may just want to scare myself and friends LOL. Again if I am not fully tapping into the LR performance then I doubt I would really put my pedal down all the way except to show off to friends. The only slight downside on the LR is the initial launch which is a bit soft but by 20mph it is pulling very hard, probably just as hard as the old Performance version and at high speed is even better than the old Performance.

Although I said it wasn't about money, the LR started at $115k when I bought it and what bothers me is that this vehicle was introduced at $90k?!? The $25k increase bothers me. Meanwhile the Plaid has only increased $12.5k. I almost feel like you are getting a better value with the Plaid but then again Tesla probably marked up the Plaid more than the LR. After all having a 3rd motor (and literally no other changes) can't add $40k to a car.

The emotional side of me wants to sell/trade-in my perfectly new LR with only 200 miles on it and get the Plaid. I will lose the versatility with the 6 seater and I'm not even quite sure where the dogs will go. I may have to buy/build a bench that goes across the 2 middle row captain chairs. But I get one of the fastest cars in the world.

The logical side of me says to keep the LR. Its fantastic and is way more versatile. If the Plaid version with 7 seat ever comes out then consider switching at that time.

I will likely lose some money if I switch but hoping it wouldn't be too much.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Would you actually lose money, given the long wait for the X and the demand?

You could potentially come close to selling your LR and picking up a Plaid for the same price, plus or minus the sales tax, and maybe a month without a car depending on the timing of the sale.

Last edited:
Here is what I can't do with the Plaid 6 seater configuration. This would only be possible in a 5/7 seater. We carry luggage and dogs on trips, not people.
IMG_0478.jpeg
IMG_0479.jpeg

Why can't the Plaid come in this configuration?!?! 😔 Would be best of both worlds! I'm almost willing to give this up for the emotional effect of having the fastest SUV on the planet. But I could potentially seeing that emotional high wearing off in a few months who knows.

Reactions: ArchHamster
My use is kind of similar for prerefresh MXP 5 seater, I do love the power and it’s in Ludicrous pretty much all the time. But if it had only been available with 6 seats, I would have bought the LR... it’s only 1 day/week I need to fold the seats down, but it’s why I need the X.

Why did you regret the Plaid on both?

Just not worth it being that PLAID gives you nothing more than an extra motor and a badge. The X is already fast AF. The S even moreso.

Unless you're an every weekend drag-stripper, not really worth it.

Here is what I can't do with the Plaid 6 seater configuration. This would only be possible in a 5/7 seater. We carry luggage and dogs on trips, not people.View attachment 834277View attachment 834279

Why can't the Plaid come in this configuration?!?! 😔 Would be best of both worlds! I'm almost willing to give this up for the emotional effect of having the fastest SUV on the planet. But I could potentially seeing that emotional high wearing off in a few months who knows.

Fear point for sure. The 6 seater config is trashola and I would've never purchased had I done a scosche of research

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
You could probably sell the LR for what you paid but you would drop the $7-8K in sales tax and pay another $10K in tax for the Plaid. If you look at the S's for sale on the major sites like Cars.com, Autotrader and eBay, 75% of the cars are Pllaids.......you have to ask why that is? After the initial "go fast"
rides with family and friends, the honeymoon is over.

You could probably sell the LR for what you paid but you would drop the $7-8K in sales tax and pay another $10K in tax for the Plaid. If you look at the S's for sale on the major sites like Cars.com, Autotrader and eBay, 75% of the cars are Pllaids.......you have to ask why that is? After the initial "go fast"
rides with family and friends, the honeymoon is over.
Good point. And also, you know someone that bought a Plaid did not buy it to drive to church on Sundays. Each launch puts stress on a lot of components.

Reactions: ArchHamster
fast expensive cars have been around for a while and in my experience, fast expensive cars live really, really easy lives. The faster and more expensive, the easier the life. Youtube isn't real life

I'd stick with the 7 seater if I were you, and wait for them to come to their senses and start offering all of the setups on the Plaid, or enjoy the savings

Good point. And also, you know someone that bought a Plaid did not buy it to drive to church on Sundays. Each launch puts stress on a lot of components.
but can't we launch as much as we want without retribution? MUSK SAID that it won't cause any harm to the components. stress...i get...the car is under stress with every revolution the tires make, with every bump the car hits.

in all serious, isn't the car made to withstand the stress of multiple launches without causing harm to the car?

but can't we launch as much as we want without retribution? MUSK SAID that it won't cause any harm to the components. stress...i get...the car is under stress with every revolution the tires make, with every bump the car hits.

in all serious, isn't the car made to withstand the stress of multiple launches without causing harm to the car?
I do think it’s safer to launch these cars compared to ice cars. Since there is really no transmission or clutch there is much less worry about breaking things.

It should not have an issue with some number of launches, but each one does stress the car. And my comments were with respect to a used Plaid.

Metal, plastics, rubber, etc. only have so much strength. So yes, if you put them under high stress a lot, they are going to wear faster and eventually break. It is the same no matter what the power source, but somewhat worse for EVs because of the very high torque from a standstill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Genie
I say don't let your pets hold you back from owning your true dream vehicle.. seems like your only issue is the seating of the dogs. I'm not a pet owner so I don't know the feeling but I certainly would not let a pet hold me back from getting what I really want.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
I'm still struggling with this one to be honest because the LR is such a nice vehicle and I love the way it drives and looks inside/out. It's got all the options 22", FSD, 7 seater and PPF! It's really an emotional "owning one of the fastest cars in the world" type of thing. I look at my LR and almost feel guilty that I want something else because its so nice. And then again it's like how many chances do you get to own one of the fastest cars.
IMG_0253.jpeg
IMG_0262.jpeg

BTW I have not put my dogs inside yet. Those crates were just a test to see how they fit. I'm still babying this thing and it mostly sits in the garage :)

It spent it's first week at a detailer getting a full body PPF and is 100% perfect and protected from scratches and rock chips. The clear gloss PPF makes it look like it just got freshly waxed.

• Love
Reactions: jboy210