Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get rid of my LR for a Plaid?

Keep Long Range or Switch to Plaid?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Plaid/Performance versions of any Tesla are not rational decisions, but fulfill the enthusiast need for gratification. Therefore, it never “makes sense” to trade in for a Plaid, but it sure can scratch the itch and eliminate the possibility of regret.

Just be honest with yourself; you know you want the Plaid badly, even though you will never need the speed in such a SUV.

BTW I have not put my dogs inside yet. Those crates were just a test to see how they fit. I'm still babying this thing and it mostly sits in the garage :)

It spent it's first week at a detailer getting a full body PPF and is 100% perfect and protected from scratches and rock chips. The clear gloss PPF makes it look like it just got freshly waxed.
That finish is amazing. If I wait a couple of years (car is leased) will adding the film restore the shine.

The Plaid/Performance versions of any Tesla are not rational decisions, but fulfill the enthusiast need for gratification. Therefore, it never “makes sense” to trade in for a Plaid, but it sure can scratch the itch and eliminate the possibility of regret.

Just be honest with yourself; you know you want the Plaid badly, even though you will never need the speed in such a SUV.
I’m being honest. I’ll never use it. Maybe just to scare some friends in the car once in a blue moon. So it’s all irrational. But I suppose the fact that I even started this thread must mean I have some underlying regret. Just don’t know if the regret will go away as it’s all new. After a while I may not even think about it and this will be a normal car to me.

I would always go for a plaid if I could afford it, why wouldn’t you? There’s never enough HP on tap in any car
I actually could afford the Plaid. It came down to 6 seat v 5/7 seat usability. I don’t need a people hauler as I don’t have kids. Mostly it’s me and my wife and our 2 dogs. I want the ability to fold all the seats flat for things. I also need a bench seat for my 2 dogs. That is primarily why I went for the LR.

After having owned the LR for some time now I don’t have regrets anymore. It’s very fast - even uncomfortably fast in insane mode and I never am left feeling like I wish this went faster.

To me Plaid is about bragging rights. I wanted it and Tesla would have gotten $20k more out of me if they offered the right seating arrangement in the Plaid.

A little off topic but having thought about it Tesla was definitely overcharging on the Plaid. I mean the two cars are 99.9999% the exact same. The ONLY difference is the extra motor which probably costs Tesla $4k-$6k more. Then they turn around and sell it for $30k more - at least initially at launch. Didn’t bother upgrading the brakes, suspension/handling or anything else. Even the body is 100% the same. Same wheels. Same features. Same everything. At least BMW M series the whole car is upgraded: engine, brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, interior (sport seats), exterior wider body and performance look, even lighter carbon fiber parts, etc

Tesla just slapped an extra motor and charged $30k. Yeah today the price difference is more like $15k-$20k but you get the point.

Reactions: ArchHamster
I actually could afford the Plaid. It came down to 6 seat v 5/7 seat usability. I don’t need a people hauler as I don’t have kids. Mostly it’s me and my wife and our 2 dogs. I want the ability to fold all the seats flat for things. I also need a bench seat for my 2 dogs. That is primarily why I went for the LR.

After having owned the LR for some time now I don’t have regrets anymore. It’s very fast - even uncomfortably fast in insane mode and I never am left feeling like I wish this went faster.

To me Plaid is about bragging rights. I wanted it and Tesla would have gotten $20k more out of me if they offered the right seating arrangement in the Plaid.

A little off topic but having thought about it Tesla was definitely overcharging on the Plaid. I mean the two cars are 99.9999% the exact same. The ONLY difference is the extra motor which probably costs Tesla $4k-$6k more. Then they turn around and sell it for $30k more - at least initially at launch. Didn’t bother upgrading the brakes, suspension/handling or anything else. Even the body is 100% the same. Same wheels. Same features. Same everything. At least BMW M series the whole car is upgraded: engine, brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, interior (sport seats), exterior wider body and performance look, even lighter carbon fiber parts, etc

Tesla just slapped an extra motor and charged $30k. Yeah today the price difference is more like $15k-$20k but you get the point.
My guess is there is more than just another motor. If I remember correctly the battery size is different. I would also suspect the structure is modified to support the extra 300+ HP. There used to be carbon fiber interior components, etc. Tires are wider and larger diameter.

Personally, I never felt the M series on BMW was worth the uplift. We had one (M3) in the 20 or so BMWs we have owned, and it was not that much difference from the other next lower performance model. At least not enough in my mind to justify the cost increase.

My guess is there is more than just another motor. If I remember correctly the battery size is different. I would also suspect the structure is modified to support the extra 300+ HP. There used to be carbon fiber interior components, etc. Tires are wider and larger diameter.

Personally, I never felt the M series on BMW was worth the uplift. We had one (M3) in the 20 or so BMWs we have owned, and it was not that much difference from the other next lower performance model. At least not enough in my mind to justify the cost increase.
There really isn’t. Battery is exactly the same. No structural re-inforcements. Wheels/tires are the same. Interior/Seats are the same. Body is the same. Same features and options.

All that being said I would have bought the Plaid if the seat options were available. Mostly an emotional thing to know you have the fastest SUV and one of the fastest vehicle in the world. 😉

LR is really nice though. I also like the wood accents on the LR instead of carbon fiber accents of the Plaid. Looks upscale.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I’m still trying to decide if I should modify my model x order to change from 6 seat long range to plaid. Now the price difference between a 6-seat long range and a plaid is only like $11,000…but when I ordered the cost difference was $20,000. If it was just $11,000 I would change…but $20,000…I’m not sure.

A few years from now if I sell my car, will the Plaid hold more value (and possibly end up not actually costing me the $20,000 price difference)?

I’m still trying to decide if I should modify my model x order to change from 6 seat long range to plaid. Now the price difference between a 6-seat long range and a plaid is only like $11,000…but when I ordered the cost difference was $20,000. If it was just $11,000 I would change…but $20,000…I’m not sure.

A few years from now if I sell my car, will the Plaid hold more value (and possibly end up not actually costing me the $20,000 price difference)?
I would only get the Plaid if you really are a speed freak or just want the emotional satisfaction of knowing you have the fastest. In reality the Long Range is very fast and no one "needs" the Plaid. Judging from your signature, the Long Range X will already be significantly faster than both your Model 3 LR and Model Y LR.

Another thing that you can't tell from the specs is that the Long Range X is extremely fast at highway acceleration. This is a change from previous Tesla as they would lose steam at higher speeds...not so with the new LR X. As a matter of fact above 40mph, the new LR X is faster than the previous generation Performance Raven X.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the LR X. In reality the LR X is probably like 2nd/3rd fastest SUV in the world. Quarter mile time is 11.4@123mph which puts it right up there with the Lamborghini Uris.

But if you are looking for the fastest SUV in the world (by a significant margin) and also faster than most supercars then get the Plaid :)

Re: M3, there were (are) substantial differences between the true M (not the M styling) models and non-Ms ranging from the engine to suspension.

Reactions: Kan-O-Z
Re: M3, there were (are) substantial differences between the true M (not the M styling) models and non-Ms ranging from the engine to suspension.
I know there was a model above the M3 my daughter bought that was almost double the price of a normal 3 Turbo and had a V-8. But even the one she bought was $20K over the other 6-cylinder Turbo and did I did not see $20K's worth of difference over regular 6-cylinder Turbo 3.

I would only get the Plaid if you really are a speed freak or just want the emotional satisfaction of knowing you have the fastest. In reality the Long Range is very fast and no one "needs" the Plaid. Judging from your signature, the Long Range X will already be significantly faster than both your Model 3 LR and Model Y LR.

Another thing that you can't tell from the specs is that the Long Range X is extremely fast at highway acceleration. This is a change from previous Tesla as they would lose steam at higher speeds...not so with the new LR X. As a matter of fact above 40mph, the new LR X is faster than the previous generation Performance Raven X.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the LR X. In reality the LR X is probably like 2nd/3rd fastest SUV in the world. Quarter mile time is 11.4@123mph which puts it right up there with the Lamborghini Uris.

But if you are looking for the fastest SUV in the world (by a significant margin) and also faster than most supercars then get the Plaid :)
Thanks for your post, I feel better about keeping my long range order now and not changing it. Still a little bit upset about the plaid tesla T-shirt I bought though…don’t feel right wearing it if I don’t have a plaid…maybe the Cybertruck will come in plaid ;)

• Love
I got the plaid for the same reasons you described. I hate having regret especially if money isn't a problem. I've always bought the top spec trim of any vehicle just to be on the safe side lol.

if you are the kinda guy that's gonna get pissed if you see another plaid on the road then just save yourself the heartache and do it.

1020 vs 670 hp, 3 vs 2 motors. That’s 50% more power. It is a good deal. If you look at other manufacturers who produce super suvs (Porsche, Maserati … etc) the price difference is double between base vs turbo model.
It’s a 34% increase in power, not 50%. This translates into 26% better acceleration on the Plaid. (0-60 Plaid with rollout is 2.8sec v 3.8sec for LR)

We’ve discussed this before. Other manufacturers do a complete car overhaul. Every part is upgraded (interior, exterior, suspension, wheels, brakes, engine, weight savings measures, body re-inforcements, etc.) Tesla did the absolute minimum - a motor upgrade in the rear.

At some point you just have to ask yourself what number is good enough. If Plaid+ came out with 1300hp would people say wow it’s another 300hp upgrade? I must have it because you know the Plaid may not be enough?

It takes more and more power to go even a little bit faster. Take a look at the Rimac Nivera 2,000hp. 0-60 is nearly the same as the plaid. Where these high horsepower cars really shine is in triple digit speeds.

Except for the very few who are actually flooring their plaid often I would bet most don’t even use it. Heck I admitted I don’t use the insane mode in my long range because I find sport mode pretty fast and gives me enough thrills.

As I stated before I would be willing to bet that Plaid is more of an emotional thing than a useful thing. Again for me I wasn’t willing to lose functionality of the 6seat Plaid so I went with the LR which actually has fold down seats and a bench seat for my 2 dogs. And yet can beat a Hellcat 😉

Last edited: