Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get rid of my LR for a Plaid?

Keep Long Range or Switch to Plaid?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the plaid for the same reasons you described. I hate having regret especially if money isn't a problem. I've always bought the top spec trim of any vehicle just to be on the safe side lol.

if you are the kinda guy that's gonna get pissed if you see another plaid on the road then just save yourself the heartache and do it.
Agree with you as long as you don’t feel like you are compromising on functionality. For me I couldn’t do non-fold down seats in the 2nd row. Also needed a bench seat for my 2 dogs. That’s too much of a compromise to lose that and pay an extra $20k for more speed.

Thanks for your post, I feel better about keeping my long range order now and not changing it. Still a little bit upset about the plaid tesla T-shirt I bought though…don’t feel right wearing it if I don’t have a plaid…maybe the Cybertruck will come in plaid ;)
I personally wouldn’t be wearing a Tesla Plaid T Shirt even if I had one 😜. There is a guy down the street from me who owns Lambos, Porsches. I never see him wearing Lambo or Porsche shirts 😉

The Plaid still doesn’t have the recognition/image of a Lambo 😉

Reactions: ArchHamster
The LR S or X has plenty of power for your street and freeway or Highway use even while in the chill mode. Unless you want to use your Plaid for racing every weekend, the additional power it not only is not worth it, but you also lose on the range side of the equation.
Was expecting the Plaid S to have the range of over 500 miles. Turns out it is less than the Model LR S.

It's 52% increase in power like DCGOO mentioned and 50% more motor engine. From a value perspective, if you think LR is fair value, then plaid is a good deal.
It’s because we look at things from a traditional engine mindset. The extra rear motor of the Plaid costs $6k more than LR motor.

But….Tesla charged $30k more at launch so u tell me which is the better deal 😉

Now if Tesla actually upgraded all parts of the car like AMG does then I would agree with you but they didn’t. Pure markup.

You also lose something:
-LR will brake slightly better it’s 205lbs lighter
-LR will handle slightly better since it’s 205lbs lighter
-LR is more efficient so better range
-For those that value 5/7 seats option LR has it (much more versatile)
-The obvious $20k savings -could be even more if u got in early.
-Wood interior trim on LR only if u happen to love it

Reactions: RoBoRaT
The LR S or X has plenty of power for your street and freeway or Highway use even while in the chill mode. Unless you want to use your Plaid for racing every weekend, the additional power it not only is not worth it, but you also lose on the range side of the equation.
Was expecting the Plaid S to have the range of over 500 miles. Turns out it is less than the Model LR S.
Absolutely. Shall we remind people that the LR is as fast/faster than the Lamborghini Uris and is faster than the 700hp Jeep TrackHawk. LR wil take on any ICE suv.

Oh and the LR is faster than all Model 3s and all Model Ys as it should. It has a better power to weight ratio than all of them except Plaid.

I haven’t found a whole lot of quarter mile times but have found one. Compare LRs 1/4 mile time of 11.4@123mph. It’s actually even faster than most sports cars.

Tesla has software limited the launch on the LR to give it a bigger gap with the Plaid. The previous P100D had 0-60 of 2.9 (or more like 3.2 without rollout subtracted.) It had 671hp and weighed more than the LR……hmmm🤔

Hoping Tesla unlocks that initial launch and brings it down to 3.2 sec. It’s obviously possible. Even after a software limited launch the quarter mile time is very fast. It makes up so much time after 30mph!

It’s plenty fast 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210
I’m in the minority. Go plaid. Just make sure it has the 16 gig of RAM.
SUVs need fold flat seats....I mean it's a utility/family vehicle. I didnt buy an SUV to haul 6 people around and very little cargo. Until they offer Plaid in 5/7 seat configuration, the 6 seater is a no go for me. I have 2 dog crates that I need to put in there and no way I can do this with the 6 seater.

Besides the nearly 700hp of the LR is pretty darn fast! It's faster than the old "P" version above 40mph.

I used my fold-flat seats to transport a set of wheels and tires for one of the ICE cars the other day.

There's also no engineering reason the 6-seater can't have fold-flat seats, it's just the pedestal seats are what they are and they're not willing to offer an alternative.

Such a tragedy, only being able to run low-11's in your 7 seat Model X. :p

I used my fold-flat seats to transport a set of wheels and tires for one of the ICE cars the other day.

There's also no engineering reason the 6-seater can't have fold-flat seats, it's just the pedestal seats are what they are and they're not willing to offer an alternative.

Such a tragedy, only being able to run low-11's in your 7 seat Model X. :p
I know - such a tragedy that the LR can match a Lamborghini Uris EVEN with 0-30mph software limited 😜

The LR is really fast. I have almost rear-ended someone on the highway trying to pass them. The car launched forward faster than I anticipated shifting into the left lane.

Honestly I dont see myself actually utilizing the Plaid capabilities. It would only be used to show off to a friend or something. It's really not usable for the street. Even the LR full throttle is barely usable for the street.

Indeed. The car manufacturers have called our bluff on the whole "you can never have enough power" thing.

You can now buy a car off the showroom floor with a warranty that runs the 1/4 in 10.9 or faster from about a dozen manufacturers. It's bananas. I just want to get there without spilling my coffee

Necro response here, but I struggled with this decision myself and ultimately the only way I was able to really justify the Plaid was because I got a slightly used one (1500 miles on the odometer and late 2022 build) for about what a LR with the same wheels/color would have cost me. Shopping brand new, only ego would argue for the Plaid. Now, if the Plaid looked different in some meaningful way - say the way an RS7 looks compared to an A7 or even S7, then that's a much tougher decision...

The new LR is limited in software esp in launch. My 2015 P85DL+ was 2.7/2.8 0-60 and 10.8 in 1/4. I never found a test showing the + took off a 10th but I believe it did?

The Plaid is so immediate it just explodes forward when you tap the accelerator, never fails to put a smile on my face. When you’re in a hurry, the current is just ridiculous, rocketting out of corners and slicing and dicing traffic. Sometimes I just stare in the rearview thinking my God I’m going to lose my license, then I slow down stay in the right hand lane and chill the hell out.

Today before I got in my car, I was semi regretting, not getting the Taycan turbo S. I walked up to my car, it unlocked, it auto selected reverse, I tapped the accelerator backed out and the first half block of my street I knew I made the right choice. From that point all the way up to my 8 km journey downtown I knew all the HP and torque was what I needed!

Reactions: Laddcruzer
I opted for the tax credit for my wife’s model Y. Now I’m having MYP envy every time I see the performance model! The sweetness of the government rebate may fade, but the enduring joy of a performance or Plaid model reminds we made the right decision. 😃

You just need one of each! 7 seater for the family and plaid for fun or divide and conquer
IMG_2532.jpeg