Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get the 20" induction wheels if it's a free upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the downsides of 20" induction wheels are it's a minor hit to range, slightly less comfortable, and more susceptible to curb rash. The minor range hit is not a major concern for me, but it just so happens ride comfort is the most important thing for my wife and I. Both of us enjoy a very smooth, quiet ride, definitely not looking for anything sporty. Due to the leftover supply in Canada, the sales rep is able to offer me the 20" wheels as a free upgrade - should I take it? Curb rash is also something that worries me, as I'm sure scratched metal on black wheel rims will look very ugly, something that silver rims can hide better.

If they're free, I'd go for them. After a while you can consider if the ride quality is too harsh for you and, should you so decide, sell them. I'm sure they still go for a pretty penny. I put the 20" away on both my cars after a short while, because the 18" make the car way nicer to drive all over.

EDIT: I messed up, this is the Y forum and the 20" are not the Überturbines. I am sorry for the misleading message, but maybe the logic above still applies.

I would. I wish I did. I prioritized ride comfort and range, and preferred the 19”. Not that I have them, I don’t like the way they look. I am trying to find covers I like while also thinking about shopping for take-off Induction wheels.

I don't know how much of a difference, as far as ride quality is concerned, there would be between the 19" and 20" wheels, but I think the 20" Inductions are much more prone to cubing from what I could tell. My friend and I both rented an MYLR a couple of months ago from Hertz, and they all had 20" Induction wheels. Almost every wheel on those cars were curbed, including a few that's seemingly curbed all 360 degrees. I know these are rental cars, but I don't think I've seen any rental car that's curbed so much and so obvious. So if that's a concern, maybe not go for the Induction wheels unless you love how they look and are fairly confident in your ability to avoid curbing them.

Here’s a pic of the MYLR I rented and it’s curbed Induction wheels (the one my friend got was much worse):
3FC6CFA7-1298-4ADA-9F80-DBE8F98CE029.jpeg

The 20" Induction wheels look good (IMHO) much better looking than the 19" Gemini wheels, wheel covers that came on my 2020 LRMY.

There are fewer choices in all-season tires in the 20" OE size 255/40R-20 than the 19" OE size 255/45R-19. There are quite a few summer performance tires available, an array of winter tires available.

The factory 20" Goodyear Eagle F1 does not perform well in winter driving conditions; as poorly or possibly worse than the 19" factory Continental Procontact RX for winter driving. Knowing that your are in Canada you might be buying 18" or 19"wheels and winter tires, changing out your 20" wheels each fall.

I know the downsides of 20" induction wheels are it's a minor hit to range, slightly less comfortable, and more susceptible to curb rash. The minor range hit is not a major concern for me, but it just so happens ride comfort is the most important thing for my wife and I. Both of us enjoy a very smooth, quiet ride, definitely not looking for anything sporty. Due to the leftover supply in Canada, the sales rep is able to offer me the 20" wheels as a free upgrade - should I take it? Curb rash is also something that worries me, as I'm sure scratched metal on black wheel rims will look very ugly, something that silver rims can hide better.

Before you decide on what wheels, you probably should decide on whether you are actually going through with the order or not.

Im not making any judgement about wanting to cancel, btw. I have said this in multiple threads before, but I personally believe a product should be purchased on the feature set it has now, and whether that is appropriate for you, not based on what the manufacturer promises it might or might not do "later".

If USS is a deal breaker for you, you shouldnt purchase a car without it, whether its promised to work "later" or not. I bought both of the teslas I have (my model 3 and my wifes model Y) based on what they had when I purchased them.

With that being said, any decision on wheels comes after "im going to buy this" or "im not going to buy this".

Last edited:
if you want the best possible range and comfort the inductions are not an upgrade. Many folks over the past year ordered with inductions for quicker delivery time. Based on what you said you want the 19" Gemeni wheels. Any curb rash will be less noticable on those too.

Putting a set of wheel protectors will also try to protect against curb rash.

I posted this snippet of this table in another thread.

Equivalency table​

Rim widthMinimum tire widthIdeal tire widthMaximum tire width
7.5 Inches205 mm215 or 225 mm235 mm
8.0 Inches215 mm225 or 235 mm245 mm
8.5 Inches225 mm235 or 245 mm255 mm
9.0 Inches235 mm245 or 255 mm265 mm
9.5 Inches245 mm255 or 265 mm275 mm
10.0 Inches255 mm265 or 275 mm285 mm
10.5 Inches265 mm275 or 285 mm295 mm

In general, if Tesla had went 0.5" narrower on the wheels it would of been better because the tire will be able to provide protection. In this case, Tesla went lower end of ideal tire width as opposed to the upper end for the rim width.

I dumped the 21s UuberTurbines and replaced them with some 18s from TSportLine. The 18s improved the PMY in every important metric to daily driving needs. But I can tell you the market for the BIGGER tire/wheels is in the toilet. I tried selling the 21s with less than 500 miles in mint condition and the best offer I got was $1700 and the guy want to argue about shipping.

So I'm keeping them and will put them back on the car in two years when I sell or trade it in. I was told when I traded my 2020 back to Tesla that if I didn't have the OEM tires/wheels I'd take a pretty good hit in the trade-in value. Something to keep in mind.

The rims on this vehicle are significantly easier to damage than any vehicle I’ve ever owned. For me it’s not a case of flying around a corner or slamming the car into a parallel parking spot; all you have to do it barely touch a curb to damage these rims. The issue is both the width of the rims and also the height of the tire. They’re so low profile that even the lowest curb is higher than the rubber on the tire. I’ve done it twice. Once at a drive thru where the yellow pole protecting the window was inset about 6 inches from the curb, and again backing out at a grocery store where a maybe 2 inch tall concrete divider was installed around a cart return. In both instances I was barely moving and would have had rubber contact the concrete first in any other vehicle I’ve owned. I think a lot of people come into contact with curbs just like this in many other cars without even thinking about it or experiencing any consequence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Daekwan
Currently have
The rims on this vehicle are significantly easier to damage than any vehicle I’ve ever owned. For me it’s not a case of flying around a corner or slamming the car into a parallel parking spot; all you have to do it barely touch a curb to damage these rims. The issue is both the width of the rims and also the height of the tire. They’re so low profile that even the lowest curb is higher than the rubber on the tire. I’ve done it twice. Once at a drive thru where the yellow pole protecting the window was inset about 6 inches from the curb, and again backing out at a grocery store where a maybe 2 inch tall concrete divider was installed around a cart return. In both instances I was barely moving and would have had rubber contact the concrete first in any other vehicle I’ve owned. I think a lot of people come into contact with curbs just like this in many other cars without even thinking about it or experiencing any consequence.

I am going to have Alloygators installed to protect the 21" Uberturbines on my MYP today. So far, no curb rash with about 164 km on the vehicle as I was extra careful driving as I was giving slightly extra room for turning.

I do plan on eventually changing over to Martian MW03 20" as a special order.

Last edited:
Easy answer = yes.

The vehicle looks much better with the bigger, black 20" Inductions and the Goodyear F1 AS tires are higher rated than the Continental Pro-Contact that comes on the 19" Gemini. That said.. everyone has already covered the cons of the Inductions = Less range, less comfort, much more noticeable wheel scrapes, and of course more expensive tires.

If all you care about is max range & max comfort.. then stick with the 19" Inductions.

There are aftermarket 19" rims out there that look very much like the Inductions or the Uberturbines (tsportline, replika r241). You can get them in 8.5" width too, which will still fit the same OEM 19" tires (Continentals) but the tire sidewalls will (I'm told) protect the narrower rims to a large degree. I just took delivery on a MY with Induction wheels and I thought about immediately swapping to 19x8.5 rims. I even had someone lined up who was willing to swap their new Geminis for my Inductions, but I decided to skip the hassle and chew these up (if that happens), and change to narrow rims when I eventually need new tires.

FWIW I took two demo drives an hour ago – MYLR with 19" and MYLR with 20". Both me and wife (who was sitting in 2nd row) felt there was a lot of difference in comfort and stiffness. I wasn't expecting to feel that much of a difference – I was more inclined towards 20" because of the sporty look. I'm a little surprised to be honest, as to how much difference tire size and thickness can make. Definitely booking with 19"!

FWIW I took two demo drives an hour ago – MYLR with 19" and MYLR with 20". Both me and wife (who was sitting in 2nd row) felt there was a lot of difference in comfort and stiffness. I wasn't expecting to feel that much of a difference – I was more inclined towards 20" because of the sporty look. I'm a little surprised to be honest, as to how much difference tire size and thickness can make. Definitely booking with 19"!
Can't edit post. Just wanted to add: both cars were 2023