Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get the self driving option for 10k or wait ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 3 months free expired yesterday and I been using more than I expected, it was never in my plans to get this option now I’m having second thoughts, I should be moving on to the new S next year and I hear Tesla may come out with pay as you go type of plan for this option what you guys think ?

If you plan to keep your car for a long time like 10 years, that's only $1,000 per year so I think it's acceptable. However, if you switch your car to Model S next year, that's $10,000 for the current car and another $10,000 for the Model S car. That's about $10,000 to $20,000 a year and I think that's a little much.

With the promise of a subscription out there, absolutely not. I think the only place that Tesla Autopilot/FSD could ever be L3 is on the highway, so why not just subscribe when you are going to take long trips and not have it the rest of the time. I think Summon and "Navigate on City Streets," if it ever materializes, are really just parlor tricks that may be fun to show off, but not really practical to use. Full Disclosure: I bought Enhanced Autopilot and FSD for $7K with my Tesla in 2018.