Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get the self driving option for 10k or wait ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 3 months free expired yesterday and I been using more than I expected, it was never in my plans to get this option now I’m having second thoughts, I should be moving on to the new S next year and I hear Tesla may come out with pay as you go type of plan for this option what you guys think ?

How do you think it worked for you in the three months you had it? How often did you use it? Every month? Do you have $10K to burn? Subscription is basically coming...

I personally do not think FSD in its current form is worth anywhere near $10K. To gain what was called EAP, I'd be willing to pay maybe $1,000 (basically to get lane change in AP and the green light alert). Summon and auto-park is not needed and the performance of FSD anywhere but the highway does not look ready to me based on the videos I've seen.

Reactions: TespaceX and msm859
This discussion / question has been asked 100s of times here. The people who like FSD are waaay (waaay waay waay waaaaaaaayyyyy) over having this discussion here, so normally wont participate in it anymore, so pretty much the only responses you are going to get is some variation of "dont, its a waste of money, its half baked, it sucks".

If you want to read discussion on this topic, you can search the autopilot subforum (where I moved this post to) to see more.

So my 3 months free expired yesterday and I been using more than I expected, it was never in my plans to get this option now I’m having second thoughts, I should be moving on to the new S next year and I hear Tesla may come out with pay as you go type of plan for this option what you guys think ?
If you are gonna get an S next year, I would wait. If you aren’t and you don’t mind spending 10k on a.... fantasy, then go ahead.

i think fsd will be 299/mo extra but I’m basing that on the length of my eyebrows

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
FSD isn't transferrable at this time, and they're unlikely to give you fair value for it when you trade it in.

So I'd simply wait.

FSD is transferable. Tesla may take it away before they resell (or auction) a car when they own the car after a trade in. They also may not pay more for it. But it does transfer.

Now, with that said I don’t think anyone is offering a significant premium for it when buying used. It depends on how much of a gambler you are and how much spare cash you have.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok
Well, Elon did say the subscription would cost more than buying it ahead of time.
Yeah, that's why I personally think it'll be more in the $200-$250/month range, if they ever get around to releasing it via subscription. That would put it in the $2,400/year to $3,000/year range and would in theory make it cheaper to pay a one-off $10k fee than $3,000/year for more than three years.

Seen in a forum 100.00 per month that would be great since I only keep cars for 4 to 5 years
$100/mon might be good for you, but it wouldn't work economically for Tesla. 😁

Good rule of thumb would be the ratio of monthly to purchase no more than 50, maybe closer to 30, therefore somewhere between US$330 to $200 per month.
IMHO Probably closer to $250 than $200, though I wouldn't put $199 past Elon.

As a short term owner, the subscription would work for you, almost regardless of the monthly fee.

Otherwise, watch out for EAP going on sale, as it has occasionally. Gives you most of FSD at half the price.

FSD is transferable. Tesla may take it away before they resell (or auction) a car when they own the car after a trade in. They also may not pay more for it. But it does transfer.

Now, with that said I don’t think anyone is offering a significant premium for it when buying used. It depends on how much of a gambler you are and how much spare cash you have.

What I'm referring to when I say its not transferable is you can't trade your car in with FSD, and simply have Tesla transfer it to the new vehicle.

Lots of people including myself want it to be transferrable. Why should I lost money on something that I haven't gotten any real use out of?

$100/mon might be good for you, but it wouldn't work economically for Tesla. 😁

Good rule of thumb would be the ratio of monthly to purchase no more than 50, maybe closer to 30, therefore somewhere between US$330 to $200 per month.
IMHO Probably closer to $250 than $200, though I wouldn't put $199 past Elon.
It only takes a $160 price point for the subscription to be more profitable over 67 months, the current average car loan. While I understand Elon wants the subscription to cost more than buying it right out so the sub won't kill that option, when you have over a million cars that are FSD capable, it becomes more important to just get people subscribed and keep them subscribed. If Tesla can double the number of people who subscribe to FSD versus buys it out right, the sub would be more profitable in even 3 years time.

Mine just expired as well (although Tesla hasn’t removed it yet). I also used it a little more than I thought I would. Still a “no” from me, but it’s not a “hard no” anymore.

It’s not the craziest idea. If you sell your current car in a year you’d recoup at least some of the $10K.

Nobody knows what the subscription will cost but there’s a chance it’ll be cheaper than owning it outright for a year. But...nobody knows when the subscription service will be available either. It was supposed to be Feb. Then by the end of Q1. Now....?

Either way you have some unknowns here, but the only certainty is that throwing FSD on your car will have you out thousands by the time you’re ready for the new S. If it’s worth that, I’d say go for it.

What I'm referring to when I say its not transferable is you can't trade your car in with FSD, and simply have Tesla transfer it to the new vehicle.

Lots of people including myself want it to be transferrable. Why should I lost money on something that I haven't gotten any real use out of?

What Tesla did with FSD before March 2019 was the functional equivalent of taking preorders for a physical product and not letting people update their shipping address while you're waiting for it to ship.

It's like if we bought a really good board game (EAP) and prepaid for what is claimed to be the greatest expansion to a board game in history, and 2 years later we got the dice for the expansion (stop signs and traffic lights), but the board and the rest of the pieces are still quite a ways away. We want to move to a new house since we're tired of the old one, but if we do, we have to leave the dice in the old house and they may or may not ship the rest of the game to the old house.

The new house comes with a demo version of the original board game, but it only has half the board and is missing a bunch of pieces. You can't buy the full version of the original game anymore because it's been discontinues, but if you buy the expansion, they'll give you all the missing pieces. Also, the expansion is more expensive now.

Except this still isn't crazy enough to actually match the FSD situation, because I want to buy the new F'ing house from the board game company, and the only thing stopping me from doing it is that they won't let me update that shipping address.

If you are gonna get an S next year, I would wait. If you aren’t and you don’t mind spending 10k on a.... fantasy, then go ahead.

i think fsd will be 299/mo extra but I’m basing that on the length of my eyebrows
Yeah if you get FSD today, make sure you are comfortable with what you are actually buying. Just keep in mind that Tesla is not promising that you'll ever get a hands off autonomous driving experience, so don't spend $10k in the hopes of getting that and end up disappointed. I personally thought FSD was a fair deal for the current feature set when it was $6k. It really just depends on how and where you drive. For whatever reason I've had a great experience with NoA with no issues like dangerous lane changes and phantom braking, so that alone is worth several thousand to me given that a majority of my miles are highway driving.

But seriously, OP should not buy FSD based on hype that anything autonomous is right around the corner. Even when the FSD beta (city streets) is made available, it will be Level 2. You'll still be fully responsible for the car.

Would you buy your car today, let Tesla keep your $10k, with no firm date as to when it will be available. Of course knowing that in 2025, the car will cost $14k. If the answer is yes, by all means buy it now. You could also send the $10k to me and I will pay you 3% interest, to be paid when FSD is truly autonomous driving, as in Telsa Taxi.:):)'