Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get trunk panel gap fixed? Scared..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really?? Source [SA or Technician]? Very interesting if so - because it's uneven, after a rain shower or me hosing off the car, water and soot accumulate on the tiny "shelf" in between the bottom of the tailgate and rear bumper and I figure if everything was flush that wouldn't happen. Nothing that a quick swipe with a MF towel can't fix though...
100% have the same issue...the dry water shelf accumulation. My buddy worked for as temp driving Tesla's off trucks into lots/deliver centers etc. He's driven 100s if not maybe 1000 different vehicles in his 2 years there and I asked him about it. He told me "unfortunately" the shelf part isn't supposed to be flush, but told me my panel gap on the left side of the trunk was unnaccepable and should be taken care of.

So given how he put it, I didn't doubt him. He said he never saw a flush y right there..have you seen anyone elses flush?

I picked up my 2021 LR in April and looked exactly like yours. Didn't bother calling it in at the time for reasons others have stated. I ordered mobile service to rotate my tires and the tech mentioned I should bring to the service center. I have an appointment Jan 11th to fix trunk gaps as well as wheel trim gaps. Will see if they fix for free. I have 8K miles

Reactions: mlkmade and SMR514
I picked up my 2021 LR in April and looked exactly like yours. Didn't bother calling it in at the time for reasons others have stated. I ordered mobile service to rotate my tires and the tech mentioned I should bring to the service center. I have an appointment Jan 11th to fix trunk gaps as well as wheel trim gaps. Will see if they fix for free. I have 8K miles
How much did they charge to rotate tires? Just curious on which vehicle they come in. I had two mobile services in the past week(1 for each Y's) 1st time, they came in a model S, and the 2nd time model 3. They said they ditched all the big vans, and they are driving 3's and S's.
Maybe it's a regional thing? Rotating tires via mobile service seems extremely convenient if the price is good.

How much did they charge to rotate tires? Just curious on which vehicle they come in. I had two mobile services in the past week(1 for each Y's) 1st time, they came in a model S, and the 2nd time model 3. They said they ditched all the big vans, and they are driving 3's and S's.
Maybe it's a regional thing? Rotating tires via mobile service seems extremely convenient if the price is good.
They didn't charge me anything as they said rotating wasn't required even though it at 6,500 miles at the time. I believe the original quote was $50 and came in a beat-up model S.

Reactions: SMR514
I have similar gaps on my 2021 MY LR trunk hatch and a couple of doors are not flush. SC has tried twice to repair these and it’s slightly better but not flush. Thinking seriously about taking car to a reputable body shop at my expense and see if their expertise will help more than another appt at SC. Anyone had luck with this strategy?

I had two mobile services in the past week(1 for each Y's) 1st time, they came in a model S, and the 2nd time model 3. They said they ditched all the big vans, and they are driving 3's and S's.

Those are some expensive work trucks!

Aren't they going to get torn up and covered in oil - well I suppose no oil, but they must be taking a beating

. . . unless that's why it takes three weeks when you drop one off at the Service Center

• Funny
Reactions: SMR514
Ive been told its by design and not supposed to be flush.
I'll give my $.02 here. Casting my memory back to a similar complaint with the Model 3. I owned a 2020, which I traded for my 2021 MY. If you want to go back a year and a half or so you can probably find the threads. The original complaint was that owners were experiencing damage to the trunk panel in minor rear impacts. This led to the "solution" of pulling the deck lid in slightly, so that it was no longer flush with the rear fascia and the edges of the quarter panels. By the time I received my 3 in 11/19 the new "misalignment" was considered normal as it was an intentional adjustment. That said, the other lines should be straight, and gaps uniform on each side. As far as the grit and soil accumulation on the sill, this has been "normal" to both my Y and 3. I attribute it to aerodynamics, i.e. the low-pressure area developing in the burble of air which follows the car, depositing road grime on the rear deck panel and the top of the fascia. An IMHO technical appraisal - offered at the above-mentioned bargain price. :)