Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get white interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first time I had my Blue/Black M3 in for service the loaner was a White/White M3 with 20,000 miles on it. The driver's seat was definitely blue from jeans. Obviously blue. It made me so glad I bought the black interior. The white interior definitely looks nicer, though.

Black interior definitely gets hot inside. I'm fond of being able to crack the windows from the app, that the car can cool itself so it doesn't get over 100 inside when is parked, and that I can start the AC remotely. Those obviously use power, though. That doesn't matter to my range, but I have a garage with a 240/48 wall connector for charging, and normally drive 40 miles/day.

One thing to consider here is that you'll definitely find people with white interior who say they wear jeans "a lot". What's "a lot"? I'm a semi retired software engineer and look the part: jeans for me are daily. For somebody else who wears a suit to work "a lot" might mean "on Saturday if I'm not playing golf ". There may be brand differences too...perhaps my Levis stain more than your Wranglers?

ETA: By the way, that loaner car with 20,000 miles and a blue seat was from the Bellevue, WA service center, about 1-2 miles from the main Microsoft campus: probably a large portion of the miles on that car are from other software engineers in jeans, too. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: THXULTRA
The first time I had my Blue/Black M3 in for service the loaner was a White/White M3 with 20,000 miles on it. The driver's seat was definitely blue from jeans. Obviously blue. It made me so glad I bought the black interior. The white interior definitely looks nicer, though.

Black interior definitely gets hot inside. I'm fond of being able to crack the windows from the app, that the car can cool itself so it doesn't get over 100 inside when is parked, and that I can start the AC remotely. Those obviously use power, though. That doesn't matter to my range, but I have a garage with a 240/48 wall connector for charging, and normally drive 40 miles/day.

One thing to consider here is that you'll definitely find people with white interior who say they wear jeans "a lot". What's "a lot"? I'm a semi retired software engineer and look the part: jeans for me are daily. For somebody else who wears a suit to work "a lot" might mean "on Saturday if I'm not playing golf ". There may be brand differences too...perhaps my Levis stain more than your Wranglers?

ETA: By the way, that loaner car with 20,000 miles and a blue seat was from the Bellevue, WA service center, about 1-2 miles from the main Microsoft campus: probably a large portion of the miles on that car are from other software engineers in jeans, too. :)
If you didn't try to remove those stains with IPA, then your anecdote means nothing. That's what I did when I demo'd a car with a white interior and everything came out with ease.

100% white. All my previous cars had been black leather until my last one, when I went magma red in an S5. Was absolutely beautiful. After that, there was no way I was going back to black, so researched fully on here the cons of white (of which there are very few) and paid the extra.

No regrets at all, looks stunning, easy to clean (I did use a ceramic coating on day 1 just in case) and they still look as good as the day it was bought (a full 4 months and 1300 miles ago). As others have said they’re sort of a Tesla thing and really do add to the wow factor.

I agree on the tip mentioned a few times in this thread to self apply a ceramic coating to keep the white super easy to keep clean.

I installed GYEON Quartz LeatherShield - it was very easy to do and so far has kept my white interior very easy to maintain. Regular vacuuming seems to be my biggest ongoing task. I keep some meguiars interior wipes in the console for the occasional spill or dirt. I have not seen any clothing transfer.

I've seen posts of white stains on the black seats from liquids or creams. So be extra careful with black!
Spilling liquids or creams is a lot different then just sitting in the seat with a pair of jeans on. I have seen multiple youtube video's though about jeans staining the white seats. There are also threads on this site about it. That being said I really like the look of the white interior. Honestly though the OP should get what they like it is THEIR car doesn't matter what any of us like.

Spilling liquids or creams is a lot different then just sitting in the seat with a pair of jeans on. I have seen multiple youtube video's though about jeans staining the white seats. There are also threads on this site about it. That being said I really like the look of the white interior. Honestly though the OP should get what they like it is THEIR car doesn't matter what any of us like.
Agree wholeheartedly. It's an awesome freaky cool car regardless of the seat colors (or paint color or wheel types, etc). Pick what you like and ENJOY!

Reactions: THXULTRA
The salesperson mentioned to me before buying my 2021 M3 that the white seats are slightly more plush than the black (feels like it, too, but still subjective. haven't seen hard evidence on it).

My wife has an issue with the white dash being very bright in the full sun, which aggravates her migraines. The dash also reflects off the side windows overlapping the side mirrors. This doesn't bother me, but others hate that reflection. I always like glossy monitors over matte and don't mind reflections. My screen also has a glossy protector. Glare generally doesn't bother me and I don't wear sunglasses, ever. If someone has sensitive eyes, the white interior might be too much.

Outside of those potential issues, the white interior is amazing. Stains are a problem only if the seat isn't kept clean. Most jeans don't do this, and if they do, they also do it on other fabrics in the house. If anyone has concerns before buying, try to setup a test drive through the Tesla store or a local driver. When I test drove a M3, they didn't have white available so I bought it unseen - - luckily, no regrets!

hope this helps

I actually had an order in for black interior for the majority of my wait. I swapped to white seats knowing I would most likely get delayed delivery and I still do not regret making that decision.

I test drove both interiors and it was night and day answer for me. White interior all the way.

Reactions: alexGS
Mr. White recommends the white interior, with a white exterior, of course.

YMrW - 1.jpeg

I’ve seen a number of Model 3s with the black interior and almost always, the seats have dust, creases, and shiny patches.

My white interior has none of those ailments, so I think the people concerned that the white will ‘show every mark’ or ‘stain easily’ are perhaps forgetting how much black will show dust and imperfections. I actually think the white interior is the more practical of the two.

I also think the black would be more convincing if it had more of a leather-like texture. The white is so white, no precedent really exists (you don’t expect it to look like leather, but strangely some people still think it is).

-Alex