Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get XPel right away after delivery or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I will be taking delivery in less than a month (hopefully) and I am starting to get ready for the car. I have read a lot about how Xpel or a similar product is a must have to protect the paint. However, I have seen many other happy Model S and X owners who got NO paint protection work done and have had the car(s) for a while now. I don't want to get the paint protection right away if it is something that is not a must. My question is - how important it is to get it done? And if you all recommend it, does it have to be done right away after taking delivery? Or can I wait for a month or so and then decide which type of coating and or wrap to get for the paint? I have a multi-coat red on order.

Here are some reasons I see that you should not wrap immediately after delivery

- Lemon. People have had lemons and if a replacement vehicle is needed your wrap is wasted

- Trade ins. I have seen people trading their cars in after some major upgrades announced, despite only taking delivery of their "new" vehicles for a month. Again your wrap will be wasted.

I think it is a personal preference especially if the cost isn't a major factor. Me personally I had my MS delivered to the shop to get a complete wrap. As I stated before I had it done on my current vechiles and I'm exteremely happy with it. Note make sure you go to a shop that have experience wrapping and a good rep. I finally pick up my MS this Friday

No contest. Wrap immediately.

Are you thinking you should to wait for the animals to escape before you close the barn door? Do you want to wrap on top of the chipped paint?

I've heard that If you wrap a new Tesla immediately after purchase, before the new paint's solvent has outgassed, Expel will bubble. Or even worse explode (which I believe is how the name originated). On the plus side though...it may prevent spontaneous combustion, which is why we now have our drummers wrapped when they join the group.

Thanks guys. How much does it typically cost to get a full body Xpel wrap? And is the Opticoat recommended on top of Xpel? What purpose does Opticoat serve?

Xpel Houston quoted me like $5800 for ultimate I think? Depends on the installer. I went with someone else and got a better deal by combining services.

Most wraps provide typically only physical protection while the coat is chemical protection/hydrophobic. I went with Clearguard Nano and Modesta PD. Yes, the coat goes on top of the wrap and I recommend it especially if you're investing in a full wrap.

Regarding whether to wrap immediately or later, that recommendation has changed over time. At this point, for maximum protection, immediate wrap. For the older cars, waiting for the paint to harden further made sense.

When we first got our March 2013 Model S, the paint process was different and the paint was "soft" and wrapping too early before the paint fully hardens can be problematic if you ever have to re-wrap that panel. I wrapped the S with Xpel almost immediately on delivery, however, my bumper wrap got slightly gouged by another car, but the underlying paint was ok. My guy recommended against rewrapping it, as removing the wrap might take off the paint. I forget what year Tesla changed the paint process, but the paint comes out "harder" reportedly now. So we when we took delivery of our December 2016 Model X, he said that it was no problem to wrap immediately and the problem of soft paint had been fixed by the new paint process. So for current cars, you should be fine to wrap immediately.

I drove mine from the SC straight to the detailer for Opticoat and Xpel. Now that the paint is good enough to do the work from day 1, I saw no sense in waiting for damage to occur. It's not like it's going to get any cheaper in a few months.

Now, to be fair, I did not get Xpel all over the car. Just the front end, mirrors, and rocker panels. While the detailer would have been more than happy to do the full job, even he recommended that there wasn't a lot of value in wrapping the entire car.

I did Opti Coat Pro+ after taking delivery and I should have done the film first. My mobile installer is coming on Monday to apply the film. I decided to go with the new Suntek film with the 10 year warranty and is supposed to be better than the 5 year Suntek film. My guy will have to remove the Opti Coat Pro+ on the areas getting the film and after the film is applied and cures, he will reapply the Opti Coat Pro+ on top of the film.

He is certified in both Suntek and Xpel but I chose the Suntek because I wanted the glossier clear coat finish.