Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I go to EV rate plan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've owned an EV since 2011 and solar for a few years. despite this, for my particular usage, E-TOU-C is slightly cheaper than EV-2. we're talking about a few hundred dollars per year, but still significant.

since you don't have any home charging up to this point, PGEs rate comparators probably won't give you good info. you might have to just try EV2 and then after a year, run their comparator to see if it makes sense to switch to E-TOU-C or -D.

I think it really depends on how much you can (or want to) time shift. The EV peak rates are pretty high. So if you need power during those periods you may find that a problem if you exceed what the batteries can supply.

8 cents higher than TOU-C but off peak EV2A is just about half of off peak TOU-C. If you can time shift ANY of your peak usage with a powrewall, it's a no brainer to go with EV-2A. I have 3 PWs and easily avoid ANY peak or part peak usage from the grid. Even in January with only half the days being sunny I still time shifted 100% of all peak usage with solar generation.

8 cents higher than TOU-C but off peak EV2A is just about half of off peak TOU-C. If you can time shift ANY of your peak usage with a powrewall, it's a no brainer to go with EV-2A. I have 3 PWs and easily avoid ANY peak or part peak usage from the grid. Even in January with only half the days being sunny I still time shifted 100% of all peak usage with solar generation.
Do you have gas or electric heat?

I have electric heat and my solar production is a fraction of my winter heating. My goal is to make it up in the shoulder months when no heating or cooling is occurring.

For summer cooling I can generally pump my house down and ride the peak period so its not as bad. No way to do that in winter though. And we even have a wood stove that burns trees that fell over and we still use a lot of energy.

Propane but we don't use it. We heat with wood pellets. Our home is well insulated enough that it easily keeps our 4000 sqft home warm for about half the cost of propane.

Even with electric heating, if your home is well insulated, you'll still be better off heating a little extra right before you hit peak. TOU-C is TWICE the cost of EV2A off peak.

Propane but we don't use it. We heat with wood pellets. Our home is well insulated enough that it easily keeps our 4000 sqft home warm for about half the cost of propane.

Even with electric heating, if your home is well insulated, you'll still be better off heating a little extra right before you hit peak. TOU-C is TWICE the cost of EV2A off peak.
I thought homes in the Central Valley could not burn anything? I am from Fresno and some of my relatives were complaining about a burning ban.

Today I read through the tariff sheets. It turns out i'm on TOU-B (M-F 4-9 pm Peak , Sat, Sun and Holidays are all Off-Peak)

For EV2:
Peak is $.081 higher than current peak; Since I started tracking Advanced Mode I do not believe I have used any peak from the grid. Will assume always a net export during peak. In that case isn't having a higher priced peak beneficial to the price arbitrage?

Part peak is about $.07 / kWh higher than my current off peak. EV2 adds 4 hours part peak per day over TOU-B which has no Part Peak
Off peak is $.127 / kWh lower than current off peak

How much does making all days have a peak period factor into the calculation?
I would add 8 hours of part peak and 10 hours of peak rate schedule per week by adding Saturday and Sunday to the mix.
The Tesla App doesn't respect holidays as far as I am aware.

What else should I be looking for to make the decision?

@MJ_CA_2019 now that you've gone more than half a year with solar and Powerwalls, how does your true-up look both in terms of kWh and dollars? I'm assuming that your "Central CA" location means that you're somewhere in the central valley, your usage pattern will be very different than mine near the SF Bay, so it's hard for me to make a recommendation without more data. Miles per year of EV charging at home is also a valuable input parameter.

I would assume that your January-June would be more or less symmetric with the July-December period. That's why I asked about your true-up status.

@MJ_CA_2019 now that you've gone more than half a year with solar and Powerwalls, how does your true-up look both in terms of kWh and dollars? I'm assuming that your "Central CA" location means that you're somewhere in the central valley, your usage pattern will be very different than mine near the SF Bay, so it's hard for me to make a recommendation without more data. Miles per year of EV charging at home is also a valuable input parameter.

I would assume that your January-June would be more or less symmetric with the July-December period. That's why I asked about your true-up status.

I don't have an EV and don't have any immediate plans to get one.
The last year and a half has been very challenging to track because it doesn't seem normal.
My system was quoted to produce about 19k kWh annually. In 2020 My home usage was ~ 19.5 kWh but my system only produced 15k kWh
There was one month with a firmware issue on my microinverters and then the fires / smoke / decreased production. 2021 looks more promising. I only have 4 south facing panels. 8 east facing and 23 (or 24 can't remember) west facing panels. 3 Powerwall 2 with the backup gateway.

I have NG heat, dryer, oven. Two larger old A/C units (3000 sq ft 2 story house) and a single speed 240v pool pump running a salt water cholorine generation system. So I believe I have lots of room for lowering my home usage; I'll just have to spend money to do it.