Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I go work for ExxonMobil?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
Take a look at this:

http://careers.exxonmobil.com/openings/Global-Climate-Change-Researcher-5328-24539BR

I have both interest in and qualifications for the below, as emboldened in red.

Primary Job Functions: We are seeking a candidate to advance research and assessment providing fundamental understanding on global climate change issues. The candidate would lead research in areas such as Earth systems science and the role of technologies and systems in managing the risks posed by global climate change. The successful candidate will develop collaborative research efforts, contribute significant publications, contribute to assessments (e.g., the IPCC) and demonstrate strong scientific leadership within both the corporation and external scientific community.

Job Requirements: A PhD in engineering, science, economics, or related field is required. A strong background in science and engineering fundamentals is essential, particularly in the areas of computational and mathematical analysis. Significant demonstrated experience in researching Earth systems science, integrated assessment and energy modeling is preferred.

On top of all the above, a family home of many decades is just 10.4 miles away.

Oops - it's been sold. Too bad - it was a lovely, lovely estate.

Also, although the job description says:

ExxonMobil offers an excellent working environment and a competitive compensation and benefits package,

even Exxon could not afford me. The going rate to better my current situation as Master Of My Kingdom in Alaska would have to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $50mm per year.

Naah. I think I'll pass. But you can try to convince me otherwise.....

In at least one way, Duck, you are spot on. I was in my PhD program in that era and remember being impressed how Exxon seemed to be one large corporation who had a serious approach to the pending environmental issues that we in academia could see, but that weren't getting serious attention in political or (other) business spheres.

Now, my career path took me elsewhere but that recollection of Exxon stayed with me; I'll admit now it probably swayed my feelings toward them during the Exxon Valdez catastrophe, and in other matters as well.

I'm older now, and wiser; they're older and....well, maybe not wiser. But perhaps they are?

They're following a pretty predictable playbook for dealing with inflection points. Question is how quickly they proceed through the playbook - that is likely to determine future success.

I see this with Bayer in the neonicotinoid pesticide battle w/ bee research, and even Tesla:

Order of battle:

1. Block, block, block: discredit the claims made, get funding pulled, lobby
2. Start own "research" arm to refute at least *some* of the research and/or offer alternate theory
3. Connect to the end consumers -- offer a marketing campaign that is not opposite business interests but provides tangential benefits (e.g., Bayer establishing urban beekeeping funding and distributing pollinator flower seeds, attending trade shows outside their normal business, etc.)
4. Start up a new adjacent business aligned to #3, hedge the bet
5. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em - start winding down