Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I have service look at this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

so for Father’s Day I put on my MPP smash me skid plate. When I did I noticed that the factory front plastic plate had oil on it. When I took it off there was more on the inside. Not bad but it surprised me on a car with only 4k miles. So my question is would you guys make an appointment for service to look at it now or just monitor it? The plastic skid plate had a gridlike that would fill with oil this aluminum one it’s going to run right off the skid plate. I thought about just sending the photos through the app to service so they could note the account but I don’t know if that’s going to do any good. I really don’t wanna take it back to my local service center as I had a very very bad experience with them upon delivery of my vehicle and they damaged my car with less than 100 miles on it.

thank you for your time and I would appreciate any advice you have have a great day

Attachments

• E3FE569F-B154-4581-86E6-E9D9CC54A0AB.jpeg
    E3FE569F-B154-4581-86E6-E9D9CC54A0AB.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 137
  • F150A145-548F-4567-AE60-1A0575B5CF59.jpeg
    F150A145-548F-4567-AE60-1A0575B5CF59.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 68
  • 154FAB2A-ABAE-4E14-BD7A-8202CE7C236F.jpeg
    154FAB2A-ABAE-4E14-BD7A-8202CE7C236F.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 3A9DF009-90A3-42F5-BBFB-A4A51222E4F8.jpeg
    3A9DF009-90A3-42F5-BBFB-A4A51222E4F8.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 68
Can you tell the color of the fluid?

Blue - It is Tesla coolant (common)
Red - It is Tesla drive unit fluid (uncommon as the drive unit is factory sealed for the life of the drive unit)
Fluorescent Yellow-Green (like a tennis ball) - It is Tesla AC compressor oil (uncommon but MY 2020 LRMY, shortly after delivery, had an AC compressor oil leak.)
Clear to pale gold (can smell like old fish)- It is brake fluid (common)

Any of these will feel slippery to the touch. If not actively dripping from someplace it is probably some fluid, i.e. the AC compressor oil, that spilled while installing the AC compressor, adding the compressor oil to the system during assembly.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
It’s not blue,red or green (🎾). It is more gold? And really sticky. I was just shocked to see it there. I hope it’s not brake fluid. Where would that come from? And it eats paint.

on a side note I can’t believe that they welded the motor mount to the subframe. What happens when that bushing fails. The motor has to come out. What a pain.

It’s not blue,red or green (🎾). It is more gold? And really sticky. I was just shocked to see it there. I hope it’s not brake fluid. Where would that come from? And it eats paint.

on a side note I can’t believe that they welded the motor mount to the subframe. What happens when that bushing fails. The motor has to come out. What a pain.
Brake fluid will do that, i.e. eat paint. Old brake fluid smells like 3-day old fish. The fluid, if it is brake fluid, could have been spilled while filling the brake fluid master cylinder reservoir. I would keep a watch for signs of fresh dripping, also check the level of the brake fluid in the reservoir.

Keep in mind that very, very little oil/hydraulic fluid dripping will look like a lot. That's just the nature of how easily it spreads.

I see nothing alarming here. I agree with jcanoe, that it was probably a very small amount of brake fluid or coolant that was spilled during manufacture. Also, it looks plenty old, so it doesn't look like a new spill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattemsmy