Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I install NEMA 14-30 or 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure this is not an “EV” requirement. GFCI’s are a requirement for potentially wet areas, such as the kitchen, garage, etc. But as noted they are not required when hardwired.
From the 2020 National Electrical Code:

625.54 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. In addition to the requirements in 210.8, all receptacles installed for the connection of electric vehicle charging shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Whether this is required for you depends on whether your municipality follows the NEC and whether they use the 2020 codes or an earlier version, but this is the latest version of the code.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Don't cheap out on the charger install.
That is pretty ironic, considering that's what you did.
I paid $500 for the wall connector and $510 to have it installed by a certified electrician using a 60A breaker and 6/3 romex
That is a code violation, for being insufficient wire thickness for a 60A circuit, as @jcanoe mentioned. It should have either had thicker wire to support a 60A circuit, or with that thinner wire, it should be a 50A circuit.

@sleepydoc

"The National Electrical Code (NEC) requires ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection in wet areas including bathrooms, jetted tubs, kitchens, laundry rooms, garages, crawl spaces, exteriors, swimming pools, hot tubs and any areas that could come in contact with moisture" which is basically 210.8. Article 625 seems to be redundant, but you are right in that it is specifically called out.

@sleepydoc

"The National Electrical Code (NEC) requires ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection in wet areas including bathrooms, jetted tubs, kitchens, laundry rooms, garages, crawl spaces, exteriors, swimming pools, hot tubs and any areas that could come in contact with moisture" which is basically 210.8. Article 625 seems to be redundant, but you are right in that it is specifically called out.
Yeah - since outlets in garages and outdoor locations are specifically covered under 210.8 I’m not sure what the purpose of the other addition was, unless you wanted to charge in your living room. *shrug*

• Funny
Reactions: ATPMSD
@Wolfhausen I do like your install location. You may consider a bag or basket below the Wall Connector if you are worried the cord may get caught in the moving overhead door. See attached photo for one idea.

Also (as others have so kindly said), if your electrician did use 6/3 NM-B Romex you should change the panel breaker to 50 amp AND adjust the setting in the Wall Connector to match. If electrician ran conduit all the way from panel to the Wall Connector and used individual 6 gauge wires, then you should be good at 60 amps.

Tesla wall cord catcher.jpeg

Reactions: sleepydoc
@Wolfhausen I do like your install location. You may consider a bag or basket below the Wall Connector if you are worried the cord may get caught in the moving overhead door. See attached photo for one idea.

Also (as others have so kindly said), if your electrician did use 6/3 NM-B Romex you should change the panel breaker to 50 amp AND adjust the setting in the Wall Connector to match. If electrician ran conduit all the way from panel to the Wall Connector and used individual 6 gauge wires, then you should be good at 60 amps.

View attachment 717876
Don't know much about electrical stuff, but the wire was bound and black, not individuals. I have stepped the power down to 40A on the charger settings. I'll look into this further. I trusted he used the right wire but I could be wrong.

Reactions: mrau
Don't know much about electrical stuff, but the wire was bound and black, not individuals. I have stepped the power down to 40A on the charger settings. I'll look into this further. I trusted he used the right wire but I could be wrong.
It can be confusing; when you set the Wall Connector for use on a 50A circuit the charging amperage is automatically limited to no more than 80% of 50A, will enable charging at up to 40A. If you set the Wall Connector for use on a 40A circuit you unintentionally limited the charging amperage to 80% of 40A or 32A. The 50A setting for the Wall Connector is the correct setting. The circuit breaker would need to be changed to 50A to complete the circuit configuration.

I paid $500 for the wall connector and $510 to have it installed by a certified electrician using a 60A breaker and 6/3 romex (50' run). Don't cheap out on the charger install. I don't think a nema outlet would be much more economical, more versatile for sure, but that was not my need.

Now if anyone can tell me how to take advantage of the charger tax credit, I'd appreciate it. I can probably get a copy of the charger receipt, buy my electrician never gave me an invoice.
You should not be charging above 55 AMPS. The Romex 6/3 is rated for 55 amps, since there are no 55 amp breakers the code allows you go up to the next one (60). You should be using only 80% of the wires rated amp. How many amps is your car pulling ?

Can't decide between installing a 14-30 or 14-50 in my garage as the permanent charger for my upcoming Y and looking for input.
Cost of wire diff is nominal, go with the 14-50 with 6 AWG wire it will be future proof if you want to replace it with a wall connector . Keep in mind that if you are installing in a wet or damp location. Romex is a NO go you will need thhn wire. If this is your permanent home I would go with whatever will be future proof.

I think you're trying to help, but most of this wording is kind of wrong and confusing.
You should not be charging above 55 AMPS.
The rating of the wire for the circuit only goes up to 55A, but since EV charging is always considered by code to be a constant load, you can't run EV charging at the full 100% usage of 55A, as you are saying. It has to be the reduced 80%.

The Romex 6/3 is rated for 55 amps, since there are no 55 amp breakers the code allows you go up to the next one (60).
That is almost never applicable, and CONSTANTLY gets people in trouble on this forum, even for their electricians. The wording of that provision does technically exist, where it says you can next size up a breaker if you need to, but then here's where people get it wrong:

They then make this flying leap assumption that it then means that a magic wand has been waved and that the whole entire circuit has been transformed into a full 60A rated circuit. NO IT DOESN'T! The wire is still the limiting factor, and can't be rated any more than 55. So you can't use this as a 60A circuit. The only way you can practically use it is as a 50A, because there just isn't a combination of equipment that can be set for 55A rated running at 44A. So please stop telling people they can round up the breaker--that's going to confuse people and cause them to do wrong and risky things.

Reactions: mrau and ATPMSD
I think you're trying to help, but most of this wording is kind of wrong and confusing.

The rating of the wire for the circuit only goes up to 55A, but since EV charging is always considered by code to be a constant load, you can't run EV charging at the full 100% usage of 55A, as you are saying. It has to be the reduced 80%.

That is almost never applicable, and CONSTANTLY gets people in trouble on this forum, even for their electricians. The wording of that provision does technically exist, where it says you can next size up a breaker if you need to, but then here's where people get it wrong:

They then make this flying leap assumption that it then means that a magic wand has been waved and that the whole entire circuit has been transformed into a full 60A rated circuit. NO IT DOESN'T! The wire is still the limiting factor, and can't be rated any more than 55. So you can't use this as a 60A circuit. The only way you can practically use it is as a 50A, because there just isn't a combination of equipment that can be set for 55A rated running at 44A. So please stop telling people they can round up the breaker--that's going to confuse people and cause them to do wrong and risky things.
My wording was wrong but our message is the same. Do not use 60amp draw on a 55amp rated wire. I was telling the person that they should not be drawing the 60 AMP, should be 80% of what the wire rated amps are. He said his electrician put a 60A on a Romex 6/3 which should not have happened.

Agree. I suggest we need to steer people away from NM-B to THW, or similar.
I don't think so. The installation location determines what you need to use; you don't "steer" people about that. If you're running something down through an insulated wall, or above ceilings in an attic area, you use Romex--you just do. You're not going to put conduit there to be able to use individual wires. But this really should be simple. The wire types have known and published amp ratings, so it still bothers and confuses me why people can't pick the right gauge for a given circuit rating.

I installed a NEMA 14-30 outlet in my garage. It charges anywhere between 21-22 miles/hr on average. I look at it from the same standpoint as when I charge my cell phone. I'm using neither device overnight, so I'm good with letting it charge while I sleep. Plus, need to factor in that you're not going to charge up to 326mi daily as it will degrade the battery. More likely scenario is charging to 280mi to lengthen the life of the battery so NEMA 14-30 should be able to charge from 120mi to 280 mi within 8 hours (eg. 10pm-6am).

I installed a NEMA 14-30 outlet in my garage. It charges anywhere between 21-22 miles/hr on average. I look at it from the same standpoint as when I charge my cell phone. I'm using neither device overnight, so I'm good with letting it charge while I sleep. Plus, need to factor in that you're not going to charge up to 326mi daily as it will degrade the battery. More likely scenario is charging to 280mi to lengthen the life of the battery so NEMA 14-30 should be able to charge from 120mi to 280 mi within 8 hours (eg. 10pm-6am).
Just curious how'd you decide between 14-30 and 14-50?

Just curious how'd you decide between 14-30 and 14-50?

For me, I did a load calculation (well ok, I had a bloke do the load calculation, but then I read (youtubed) up on it and redid it myself) and I hung the HPWC off a subpanel so 30A was appropriate. I would have liked to go with the 60A, but I don't think it's necessary, especially with the amount of driving I'll probably be doing ... AND anyway there's a SC nearby

I also went with the 14-30. It works out great for me. Charges at 22 mi/hr. My reasoning was due to the fact that I literally used maybe 3’ of wire from my panel to the inside wall of my garage, would not be a big deal to upgrade if I ever wanted to. I also found a good deal on a Hubbell outlet on EBay($18), which made it a no-brainer. All in, I did the entire install for less than $60.

Last edited:
If you are set on installing a 240V EV charging circuit with a receptacle the NEMA 14-50 has the greatest utility. Besides the Tesla Mobile Connector and Tesla Corded Mobile Connector there is more Level 2 3rd party electric vehicles service equipment (EVSE) available with the 14-50 power plug than any of the other plug configurations. The 14-50 receptacle can be used on a 40A circuit in addition to a 50A circuit if there is not sufficient capacity for a 50A circuit.

If your home only has sufficient capacity to add a 30A circuit then the 14-30 is a good alternative to having to upgrade your home's electrical service and/or service panel to be able to support an additional 40A/50A circuit.

I also went with the 14-30. It works out great for me. Charges at 22 mi/hr
If you are set on installing a 240V EV charging circuit with a receptacle the NEMA 14-50 has the greatest utility. Besides the Tesla Mobile Connector and Tesla Corded Mobile Connector there is more Level 2 3rd party electric vehicles service equipment (EVSE) available with the 14-50 power plug than any of the other plug configurations. The 14-50 receptacle can be used on a 40A circuit in addition to a 50A circuit if there is not sufficient capacity for a 50A circuit.

If your home only has sufficient capacity to add a 30A circuit then the 14-30 is a good alternative to having to upgrade your home's electrical service and/or service panel to be able to support an additional 40A/50A circuit.
Well, technically it can add a 50A as long as I don't simultaneously use other appliances, which won't be a problem for me