Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I install Tesla solar roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Needed someone's help living in the Scottsdale / North Scottsdale area, getting power through APS, to know -
  • When to make a switch and get Tesla solar roof. I just cannot grasp my head around when to pull the trigger. Happy to provide billing details to show cost and Kwh usage and everything!
  • Whether to rent or buy the panels
FYI - we have the Saver Choice Max plan. I've attached a couple of screenshots of power usage over almost 12 months
APS 2019.PNG
APS 2020 thus far 7.18.2020.PNG

Thanks

If money ain't a thang, get solar roof or if your roof is in bad shape and you already plan on fixing it, get solar roof.

Otherwise, get solar panels. I'd recommend buying if you plan on staying in the house long term. Not sure the full billing mechanics of rental, but best value is to buy.

Highly recommend using project sunroof or even Tesla's recommendation on what to get based on your kwh usage (and roof positioning).

Hope that helps!

I can run a cost analysis for you if you want. Information i need:
  • average kWh usage from utility, and $ per kWh or just the average monthly electricity charge
  • Solar roof total price
  • Total Federal & state tax incentives
  • Solar roof annual kWh production estimate
  • new roof cost estimate (not solar)
  • whether or not you will pay cash for solar roof or finance it, and if finance the rate & duration

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I can run a cost analysis for you if you want. Information i need:
  • average kWh usage from utility, and $ per kWh or just the average monthly electricity charge
  • Solar roof total price
  • Total Federal & state tax incentives
  • Solar roof annual kWh production estimate
  • new roof cost estimate (not solar)
  • whether or not you will pay cash for solar roof or finance it, and if finance the rate & duration
Andy - Can I DM you some info or just some last few bills? Also we're planning to rent em out from Tesla for the time being, rather than buying it

"Saver Choice Max" really zaps the bill when you use A/C in the afternoons when not off-peak. Single biggest factor may be what kind/age your AC units are, and make sure to investigate improving that with modern/efficient units.
That maybe a very valid point/s. So we have our smart thermostats to turn off air-conditioning in the entire house during on-peak 3.8pm - apart from our casita, some to think of it. *sugar*!
Our HVAC systems are all really aged too. I'd say end of their life-ish....20 years approx!

The solarRoof is a roof first and foremost. So when would you change a roof? When it needs replacement, or to change the look of your home. We wanted both.

So we went with the SolarRoof and think it is one of the best things we have done for our home. Looks great (people walking by ask about it) and generates a lot of power (12+ kW). It should cover all of our usage. Plus we added PowerWalls so during this fall's Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS) we will have power. Last year we were out for a total of 4 days in 2 instances. This year I hope we just breeze through any outage. As a side benefit we hope to save up to $400/mo in utilities since the Powerwalls should let us go for most of the month buying with very little power from PG&E

Last edited:
Is the tax credit less for solar roof than panels? I'm looking at it on Tesla's website and a solar roof for my house is 2675 sq/ft of roofing costs 49,168.00. The tax credit is showing as 7,014.00. That's no where near 26% which would be 11,800. What gives?

You only get the solar energy credit for the active panels (the ones that produce solar energy) and associated labor on the roof. A significant portion of the roof cost is inactive panels, spacers, vent caps, and flashing.

• Informative
Reactions: Zer0t
You only get the solar energy credit for the active panels (the ones that produce solar energy) and associated labor on the roof. A significant portion of the roof cost is inactive panels, spacers, vent caps, and flashing.
And to add a bit of emphasis, the ITC credit for solar roof will likely be higher than for the equivalent production in panels, because you can claim ITC for the entire cost of each solar shingle that is installed, even though a portion of the cost of the shingle is for its properties as a roof.

I expected the gross cost to be much more than what I saw. I have a brand new house so I'm not a good candidate but my curiosity never ends.

I expected the gross cost to be much more than what I saw. I have a brand new house so I'm not a good candidate but my curiosity never ends.

They have lowered the price of the Solarroof in recent months. And new or not, a big part of the solar roof is looks. It is gorgeous roof and one that everyone notices. Especially after a rain when it is wet and looks like shiny black glass. Very much stands out compared to shingles or tiles. We have gotten a lot of compliments from neighbors we hardly know stopping by for extended conversations.

They have lowered the price of the Solarroof in recent months. And new or not, a big part of the solar roof is looks. It is gorgeous roof and one that everyone notices. Especially after a rain when it is wet and looks like shiny black glass. Very much stands out compared to shingles or tiles. We have gotten a lot of compliments from neighbors we hardly know stopping by for extended conversations.
I does look quite nice I wonder how well it works in the NE? It could be snow covered for an extended time. I’m not against the additional expense because my biggest hesitation with solar is the looks.

The cost wouldn’t be much more than third party panels I was looking at. SunPower with similar output and 3 battery walls is 66500. This is 75,000. It’s hard for me to grasp tearing off a brand new roof but the aesthetics are hard to deny. Anyone mind sharing a photo of their solar roof?

Last edited:
I does look quite nice I wonder how well it works in the NE? It could be snow covered for an extended time. I’m not against the additional expense because my biggest hesitation with solar is the looks.

The cost wouldn’t be much more than third party panels I was looking at. SunPower with similar output and 3 battery walls is 66500. This is 75,000. It’s hard for me to grasp tearing off a brand new roof but the aesthetics are hard to deny. Anyone mind sharing a photo of their solar roof?

Not sure about it, but the roof is glass, so is slick and should shed snow well. You cannot walk on it when it is frosty or wet.

I wrote this document on the install process and linked to a bunch of photos.

Reactions: Zer0t