TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Should I insure another car before a M3 purchase next year?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by marcopinder, May 22, 2017.

1. marcopinder

marcopinder New Member

Hi all,

As the title suggests - should I insure another car before a M3 purchase next year?

To explain further - I live in London, 34 years old, don't own a car, and haven't done so since 2009. I have a M3 reserved (but only since start of December) so don't expect to get the option to purchase until mid-2018.

With no insurance history anymore, I was wondering if it is worthwhile to plan ahead by buying a cheap car (<£300) and insuring it for the next 12 months to build up my NCD in order to lower the insurance on the M3 when it comes to insuring it.

Running through quotes on Compare the Market for a MS with zero NCD vs. 1 year NCD was approx. £1k difference!

I've read about people buying a £50 car, insuring it, making payments, but scraping it almost immediately. Seems dodgy to me, but if its legal and helps me lower my overall premium I'm open to it. I'm not fussed about owning a car for the next 12 months and not using it.

All ideas and suggestions welcome.

Thanks

2. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Road tax and MOT each year?

Dunno if it would count against NCD, but you could keep it offroad (assuming you have an offroad location) and do a SORN and thus not need to do Road Tax or MOT, so basically just insure the vehicle (without the possible risk!! associated with insuring a scrapped vehicle!)