Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I just go to the body shop recommended by insurance for repair?

keytalker

Oct 1, 2016
SF Bay
My model X just got rear ended by another car. Nothing too big, just rear bumper has some visual damage and the parking sensors are missing.

Both insurance companies are very responsive and recommended a collision center called caliber collision to fix it. Should I go with what's told by the insurance company or shall I try to find some certified body shop to deal with it?

First time to have an accident so I'm really clueless.

Thanks!

Rockster

Oct 22, 2013
McKinney, TX
NO! The insurance company will always try to save themselves money. Go to your nearest authorized Tesla body shop.

And take lots of pictures of the damage so that you can file a diminished value claim. If you're not familiar with the concept search the forum for "diminished value." It's the insurance companies' dirty little secret that they have to reimburse you for the value that the car has lost just because it was in an accident. Depending upon the severity of the accident this DV claim can total more than the repairs. I obtained about $6k in diminished value for an $1800 repair because that's what my diminished value appraiser determined would the the value lost if I ever sold the car.

Insurance companies will never mention diminished value to you and they'll lowball and complain and fight it, but don't give up.

Do read about diminished value claims before you mention anything to the insurance company. The best time to make the claim is after the repairs are completely done to your satisfaction, but pictures of the damage are an important part. Ideally, too, you'll have pictures of the car in its intact condition before, but as close to the date of the accident as possible.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC