Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Just Wait 'Til Q1 2020 to Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flat out, I see no advantages to waiting to Jan 1. That’s probably going to be one of the more expensive times to order.
Best would be the end of the quarter, but with delivery location focus changing and tax credit ending, right now may be the best.

Does even a few thousand dollars make such a big difference? If so, then you should probably be looking at some other vehicle.

Umm... what? A few thousand dollars sure does make a difference, to most ppl. o_O

If it makes you feel better, could buy a new Model S Performance if I wished (not a fan of the size though). Wanna know how I got in a position to afford $100K cars? In part, by caring about 'a few thousand dollars' here and there... it really adds up. :cool:

Your points are well-taken otherwise.

Last edited:
Well, most ppl seem to be weighing in on the side of ordering ASAP. Have to admit, I'm leaning that way myself.

BUT, one scenario still worries me: If the car doesn't look like it's gonna make delivery by Dec 31, and I then cancel. I think Tesla may have a rule now where if I do that, I can't re-order the same model for a year. That would suck, as I'd want to re-order the instant there was a price reduction in Q1 (if that happens), or until I got sick of waiting for a cut (probably before end of Q1).

Aside from that bit of possible suckitude, seems like I should try to order by Halloween. Still see Tesla screwing up the delivery somehow though, either on time or on quality. :oops:

Well, most ppl seem to be weighing in on the side of ordering ASAP. Have to admit, I'm leaning that way myself.

BUT, one scenario still worries me: If the car doesn't look like it's gonna make delivery by Dec 31, and I then cancel. I think Tesla may have a rule now where if I do that, I can't re-order the same model for a year. That would suck, as I'd want to re-order the instant there was a price reduction in Q1 (if that happens), or until I got sick of waiting for a cut (probably before end of Q1).

Aside from that bit of possible suckitude, seems like I should try to order by Halloween. Still see Tesla screwing up the delivery somehow though, either on time or on quality. :oops:

You're worried about hypothetical problems you don't have yet.
You should buy a Toyota

The no re-order rule only applies to a returned vehicle, not a cancelled order. If you show up to pick up your car and it has damage or quality issues you can simply request a different VIN. It’s no different than changing your mind about the color choice. There is no penalty for that and you would not be expected to take delivery of a car that is damaged anyway. You may just have to wait until another VIN in your trim and color combination becomes available.

The no re-order rule only applies to a returned vehicle, not a cancelled order. If you show up to pick up your car and it has damage or quality issues you can simply request a different VIN. It’s no different than changing your mind about the color choice. There is no penalty for that and you would not be expected to take delivery of a car that is damaged anyway. You may just have to wait until another VIN in your trim and color combination becomes available.

This is helpful, thanks.

With the new policy, you are out only $100 MAX if you order now and cancel.
Out nothing if you switch to another Telsa. Out $100 if you decide to wait or not buy a Tesla.

As mentioned the no-reorder rule for 12 months is for 7 day return windows to discourage those as they are very costly to Telsa (any cars returned within the 7 days Telsa has to sell as used and no one gets to claim the Federal Tax credit)

With the new policy, you are out only $100 MAX if you order now and cancel.
Out nothing if you switch to another Telsa. Out $100 if you decide to wait or not buy a Tesla.

As mentioned the no-reorder rule for 12 months is for 7 day return windows to discourage those as they are very costly to Telsa (any cars returned within the 7 days Telsa has to sell as used and no one gets to claim the Federal Tax credit)

I agree with all except the "no one gets to claim the Federal Tax credit"

I'd be curious to see if there is ruling about this from the IRS since it's all about the buyer intent and no one else has Tesla's generous return policy. I guess it depends on how many people did this.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Here are my thoughts as I've gone through the same thought process.

1. I don't think SR or SR+ prices will go lower. Current thinking is that they are not making much if any money on them.
  2. However as competitors ramp up their range I suspect we could see a small range boost to improve their position.
  3. Could the LR RWD come back? I've always wondered what % of buyers were convinced to go up to AWD Vs go down to SR+. I made the decision to go down when my LR RWD demo deal collapsed. If they are capacity or cost limited for cells by Panasonic that would mean no.
Anyway, I'm sticking with my SR+ order because I don't think I could lose unless #3 happens.

I agree with all except the "no one gets to claim the Federal Tax credit"

I'd be curious to see if there is ruling about this from the IRS since it's all about the buyer intent and no one else has Tesla's generous return policy. I guess it depends on how many people did this.

Maybe if you bought on the last days of Dec., filed your taxes beginning of January so you could return your car within 7 days but after you already filed your taxes. Though that seems highly unlikely.
If you return within 7 days of purchase and then months later try and claim a tax rebate when you file, you would have no defense of intent if you were audited by the IRS?

I am sure many things get past the IRS without them double checking so it is possible but is definitely against the rules and you would be in trouble if they did discover it.

There are other items that can be purchased and then returned that carry tax credits, so there must be precedent. Solar panels for one example but I am sure others that are easier to return than a car.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I am sure many things get past the IRS without them double checking so it is possible but is definitely against the rules and you would be in trouble if they did discover it.

You could claim pretty much of anything, but the IRS will not be easily able to cross reference it. The IRS does lots of "technical audits" when people do things like forget to include a K1 or 1099 - and have lower income. The IRS gets copies of all that, so it is crazy to try to mess with it.

The EV tax credits will eventually get targeted. When things get targeted, the IRS will pull your return for an audit if it sees a trigger for an audit. The $1875 for an EV credit is far less that it would cost you to defend an audit (if you had an accountant).

You just don't want to be in the IRS's sights - it is not worth it. They can make your life very miserable. They got my brother many years ago - attached every cent he ever tried to bank, etc. They couldn't have picked a more deserving person to nail - and they made sure they got everything they wanted and more.

I don’t predict anything as the backlog in the US is growing, growing, growing - and the lack of cars is probably softening demand as the backlog grows. You can’t outthink Tesla as Tesla doesn’t act normally.

Order the car today, you may just get it by the end of the year. The backlog of orders will probably not result in lowered prices. In fact this “self-inflicted” US backlog is partially artificial - as Tesla apparently has never held back North American production this long.

I just don't see any possible price decreases - and a thousand here or there (if it happened) is really not much of an incentive anymore.

A point worth considering relative to “never held back North American production so long” is that Tesla has never had to fill orders in so many countries as they do now. I’ve read orders are very good across many countries.

You could claim pretty much of anything, but the IRS will not be easily able to cross reference it. The IRS does lots of "technical audits" when people do things like forget to include a K1 or 1099 - and have lower income. The IRS gets copies of all that, so it is crazy to try to mess with it.

The EV tax credits will eventually get targeted. When things get targeted, the IRS will pull your return for an audit if it sees a trigger for an audit. The $1875 for an EV credit is far less that it would cost you to defend an audit (if you had an accountant).

You just don't want to be in the IRS's sights - it is not worth it. They can make your life very miserable. They got my brother many years ago - attached every cent he ever tried to bank, etc. They couldn't have picked a more deserving person to nail - and they made sure they got everything they wanted and more.

I just read an article in last few weeks about how people have been scamming the government on these rebates. Don’t recall the amount estimated but thought it was a substantial amount. I see a big investigation happening after articles like this.

Last edited:

And yes, I wouldn’t think anyone would want to mess with the IRS. I once got fixed up on a blind date with a guy who ran up against the IRS. Friend felt sorry for him and wanted to see him go out at least. Had been a few years in and he had nothing really left and was still paying them through garnished wages leaving him not much for anything. He was miserable. Sounded worse than going through a divorce.

You do know you have to qualify for the rebate on your taxes or can’t take it. That article I mentioned was about people who didn’t qualify and still applied for the rebate essentially lying on their return.

Update: Found basically the article I read--Treasury on to the illegal rebates: Consumers got millions in questionable EV tax credits, U.S. says Recovery of funds in the works!

Last edited: