Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I maintain my roof for $1800 or wait for Solar Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I live in North San Jose, CA my roof size is roughly 2000 sqft
recently I had a roof check with eastmanroofing.com and they said I should do a roof maintenance for $1800 to fix cracks and debris, etc.

I always want to install Solar roof, but you know, Tesla is SLOW on production. I don't know whether I should wait, and whether the cost worth it.

Any opinion? Thanks.

I would do the mantainance and wait for solar roof. Think about it this way. Would you regret it later if you fix roof 100% and go traditional solar.
Im in the same boat, 1 big hail storm from a replacement roof. Still patching and hoping Australia gets solar roof soon

Quesder,

How old is your roof?

I'll echo others, do the maintenance and wait for the solar roof. If a leak developed, there would be damage inside the house that would cost more money to fix. I think we are a couple years out (assuming Elon time).

I would want to do the installation myself, but it appears that they will not allow that.
My understanding is... The training for installers will be an estimated 3-5 days and include a number of written and physical tests to insure their knowledge of all aspects of installation. Installing companies will be required to train at least 3 employees, two certified employees must be on site at all times, and many elements of installation may only be done by trained employees.

My understanding is... The training for installers will be an estimated 3-5 days and include a number of written and physical tests to insure their knowledge of all aspects of installation. Installing companies will be required to train at least 3 employees, two certified employees must be on site at all times, and many elements of installation may only be done by trained employees.

Any contact information where this training can be obtained?

Looks like the only way to be trained is to be an employee of Solar City.

Last edited:
Any contact information where this training can be obtained?
I believe they are still developing the program so I'd not expect to see it available for anyone until mid to late summer at the soonest and I'd guess priority will be given to installers who have customers at the top of the list and then they'll work their way down. I'd guess any DIY might be 2-3 years out yet, though I could be totally off on that.

I think it's still unknown if they've done any customer homes yet and what the rollout schedule will look like. I believe they've done 12-15 employee homes and are still testing/validating both the product and the install.

Do you know you need repairs? Did you get a second opinion? Or otherwise trust this company?
Hi Guys, here is my roof report.
I feel most of them are not so bad, except for the clogged valley

SECTION I ITEMS, REPAIR ITEMS NOTED AS DESCRIBED BELOW:
1. Debris on roof, in valley at first story, right side (See Photo 3). Remove tiles, clean out debris from about 12 feet of valley, reinstall tiles. Blow debris from roof as needed to allow proper drainage and to prevent water from backing up into structure, leave debris at job site. NOTE: Removal of debris may result in some debris sifting into the attic or house through openings such as skylights, vents, etc. Owner is responsible for taking any necessary precautions prior to debris removal, including notifying neighbor(s) if appropriate. If desired, Eastman Roofing & Waterproofing, Inc. will clean yard of resultant debris and remove from premises at an additional charge. Owner to keep roof free of debris in the future.
2. Approximately 15 broken tiles (See Photo 2). Replace and/or flash and apply elastomerics as needed. NOTE: The color and style of replaced tiles, if any, may not match.
3. Approximately 20-30 tiles have minor damage (See Photo 5). Flash and/or apply elastomerics as needed. NOTE: The color and style of replaced tiles, if any, may not match.
4. Gaps between pipes and pipe jacks (See Photo 7). Seal with Cal Pico tape and/or modified bitumen mastic as needed.
5. Pipe jack separated at base (See Photo 6). Replace two 1 ½” lead pipe jack bases.
6. Counterflashing not sealed at chimney, coming off (See Photo 4). Some counterflashing missing, about a couple of inches. Replace as needed.