Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I make a poll about usefulness of Model 3 forum?

Would you be interested in a poll about how useful this forum is?

• Yes

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the good old days, before the July reveal, all we could do was speculate. And speculate we did.

Now that we know the facts on the 3, the speculation has turned to legitimate gripes and troll posts.

The dynamic here has changed. I think a poll is in order. Include lots of choices in the poll.

One thing to consider in these polls is that the vision/mission and thus metrics of "usefulness" are self-defined. Some come to learn, some come to boast, some to share and some to banter, some to feel companionship and some to feel righteous. For most it changes over time.

Thus you're probably better off polling qualitatively how is it that folks find the forum useful, and what they'd like to see more of /less of. /for their purpose/

Also of course this assumes reflection skills- that people both know and can articulate what they are here for.

That can then become a useful "guidepost" for everyone's behavior. I'm also loathe of establishing things that need to be delegated to mods. They can use special powers to enforce some stuff, but most of the regulating behavior in a healthy community comes from us commoners.

I haven't been here pre-2012
But all car launches in my experience have been the well documented "hype cycle" of:

- excited speculation
- escalation of crazy ideas to expectations. What ifs... become Surely... become Musts... amplified and escalated by the inherent echo chamber of any community.
- frenzied analysis of any detail analyzable or not. Tons of bike shedding. Tons of assumptions and projection: "my needs = worlds needs". Funny "showstopper" criteria.
- on key milestones, especially latter, tons of data becomes available and people feel disappointed at things not panning out, or realize the futility of the frenzied debate.
- there is a lull of activity with a markedly more glum mode, negative outlook
- as deliveries start happening the owners experiences show through- good and bad; but with Tesla folks here the good seems to outweigh the bad. :). Experiences with road trips, with camping, with snow, with every day things, etc
- then there is a period of "discovery" of car features, details and usage tips.
- then there is dealing with outlier issues, customizations, problems, etc

Of course this is normal human behavior.
This community is also unique because it combines a "regular" product cycle with a large leap , for many, into EVs and the mindshifts they entail. So Model 3 forums is say right now is "60% model 3" and "40% EV 101" and the passion of the latter debates color the former.

Trolling accounts, hacks etc etc is a pity and independent of the above, but also expected as the community becomes a useful resource that helps the mission of transitioning to sustainable energy.

IMG_9875.PNG
In the good old days, before the July reveal, all we could do was speculate. And speculate we did.

Now that we know the facts on the 3, the speculation has turned to legitimate gripes and troll posts.

The dynamic here has changed. I think a poll is in order. Include lots of choices in the poll.

You do realize you are the one creating all the griping posts right?

It's so bad you need your own subforum. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EchoDelta