Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Notify Tesla? Is it a bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there is an intersection on a 2-lane route I regularly travel that causes severe trouble for my Model 3 when on autopilot. Nothing seems particularly unusual about this intersection, but my 3 invariably swerves into the opposite lane at this intersection while traveling at 45 mph (the maximum AEP allows on this road). The intersection is not in a curve or on the crest of a hill (things I know can cause autopilot confusion). Once it tried to do it even when a car was coming in the other direction towards the intersection. If someone wasn't particularly alert when the car did this, I could be bad. Is this the kind of thing that the neural net needs to be informed of? If so, how?

The coordinates are:
N 42 deg 56 min 12 sec
W 77 deg 32 min 22 sec

or
N 42 deg 56.172 min
W 77 deg 32.363 min

Here's an aerial shot of the intersection:

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 9.22.20 AM.png

The problem occurs when traveling right to left on county road 14 (i.e. westbound).
I drove by the spot again today and took a ground level photo. There is a slight rise where the intersection is. That may be what is causing the issue. AEP causes the car to go completely into the eastbound lane, not just a wiggle like I've experienced on occasion at other intersections. AEP did not disengage by itself - I had to force it to disengage. The road has good lane markings up to the intersection. I still really love AEP - like Tesla says, though, you need to pay attention.

Yes - I have Version 9. I didn't mean for this thread to be a harsh criticism of AEP. Just need to know if this is something that should be communicated to Tesla, and if so, how. RedModel3 above answered that question, so at this point I will follow his advice. Thanks for everyone's interest.

tap the microphone icon, say "Bug report" and a very short description of what happened.They should know about this.

Reality Check...who's believes Tesla is seeing these bug reports?
Tesla only looks at "bug reports" if you call Service. They don't have someone in an office somewhere looking at all these bug reports or the automatically generated diagnostic reports, and taking corrective action.
My Service Center supervisor said they only look at these when the car comes in for service.

Ah, now I see. There are no lines in the middle of the intersection. EAP looks for lines, and can swerve strangely if they disappear.

Exactly! The lines are gone and the car starts looking for them. Since you know this happens, I would just guide the car across this intersection. Better safe than winning the argument that Tesla is not ready for FSD. We know it's not ready, but they are working on it, and it will be.