Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I order Full Self Driving with my new Tesla?

Should I get the Full Self Driving Option for extra $3K?

• Yes

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • Wait to order after you get the car and pay the extra $2K

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already gonna get Enhanced Auto Pilot. Is this feature worth $3000 extra to do it now vs. paying $5000 later? I heard V9 will start to have some full self driving feature. Should I order it now?

Looking forward to some suggestions here.

Thanks.

It is hard to say if it is worth $3000 when no one outside of Tesla knows when or what it will actually be. Right now, it gets you absolutely nothing. Supposedly the V9 update in the very near future will provide the first features of FSD, but who knows how impressive that will be.

I bought FSD, but I am not really sure it was a good idea. I am actually very skeptical that true FSD will happen on the Model 3 ever, but I also really like “tech” and would love a self driving car which is why I bought it.

...Should I...

You should not:

If you expect it to work as a final product immediately because it is not even activated just yet.

If you have no patience nor skills to work with beta products.

If you believe it's a scam.

You should:

If you love to be an early adopter even when technology is not there or not working just yet!

If you want to encourage its development.

If your budget can afford it now.

--------------------

A similar scenario is there are people who are willing to pay SpaceX to fly them around the moon when the company has no capability to do so at present.

Its uncrewed Dragon capsule has never been launched just yet. Its Big F* Rocket has never been launched yet and as matter of fact, it's not even finished yet!

It's all vaporware right now so why there are people still want to pay for the trip that's not possible at present?

That's because those people are early adopters and are willing to pay for something that is not possible today but hoping that the problems will be solved soon.

The answer really depends upon how long you plan to keep the car.

If on a short-term lease (up to 3 years), the answer is NO, because even if Tesla does get FSD working, it won't happen soon enough to justify the cost.

If you plan to keep the car for at least 6 to 8 years, then it may make more sense to purchase the FSD option, especially since Tesla plans to begin releasing features for FSD customers in the 9.0 software release.

We purchased FSD for our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D, and while we don't expect to see either vehicle drive itself any time soon, what we do expect to see is improved driver assisted features, utilizing all 8 cameras plus the upgraded AP processor sometime next year.

Reactions: Foxtrotter
I will buy it on my M3 because in 2-3 years I expect my daughter to start driving it to school. Anything to make that trip safer is worth at least a 3k investment now. My best guess is we will see some useful features by then if not a lot sooner from FSD aspects of the software/hardware enabled.

I will buy it on my M3 because in 2-3 years I expect my daughter to start driving it to school. Anything to make that trip safer is worth at least a 3k investment now. My best guess is we will see some useful features by then if not a lot sooner from FSD aspects of the software/hardware enabled.

You trust Tesla software that much? You know it'll be beta for a long time, right?

I am certain that Tesla will deliver some amazing features as a part of the FSD option and the cost for this option may go up in the future.

If you asked last year, I'd say no. At this point in time, pay for the full driving feature. You'll be thrilled you paid for this option in the coming months when we start seeing the FSD features implemented bit by bit.

Reactions: DanCar
One thing to consider. There is an AP hardware computer update called AP HW 3.0 coming soon (3-4 months according to Tesla). This HW update will be needed for FSD. If you have paid for FSD, Tesla will update the hardware free of charge. I’m not sure when FSD will be viable, but this hardware update might enable interim features that will be nice to have.

There is an AP hardware computer update called AP HW 3.0 coming soon (3-4 months according to Tesla). This HW update will be needed for FSD. If you have paid for FSD, Tesla will update the hardware free of charge

Exactly this. They say that the new HW will be 10x faster than the current one. Even with exactly the same sensors/cameras, this is a big increase and will certainly help even regular Enhanced Autopilot features.

You can pay $3K to reserve HW 3.0 or you can wait and pay $5K in about a year (factoring in "Elon time"). if you can get >60% on a 1 year investment, i guess don't buy it.