Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I order now or wait closer to beginning of Q4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talhas3

Licensed Real Estate Salesperson Rochester NY, NJ
Jul 2, 2014
Rochester NY
I had a Model S 75D lease which I returned last September. It was right before I moved from NJ to Upstate NY. Now I’m looking to get the Model Y long range.

I have 1 car right now and we are managing with 1 car so I don’t NEED to have a 2nd car immediately.

Little bit background: We have 2 kids (4+2) and expecting another child God willing in Feb 2022 which is why we need a 3rd row car.

I’m hoping the EV credit gets passed which is 1 reason I’m waiting. My current car that I have (2018 Chevy Cruze) I will sell once we take delivery of the Model Y.

However a downside to waiting is the potential price increase. A Tesla rep told me I can put the order in but they can delay it 2-3 months at my request.

So what’s your thoughts guys on my situation... wait to order or just put the order in now?

Reactions: suprax
If you're set on getting a Model Y, definitely order it now to lock in the price. And yes, you can delay by 2-3 months, I've heard of 6 months or more. I placed my order in Feb after the price drop and delayed it until May for delivery.

BTW, where in Upstate, NY are you?

Reactions: Watts_Up
I had a Model S 75D lease which I returned last September. It was right before I moved from NJ to Upstate NY. Now I’m looking to get the Model Y long range.

I have 1 car right now and we are managing with 1 car so I don’t NEED to have a 2nd car immediately.

Little bit background: We have 2 kids (4+2) and expecting another child God willing in Feb 2022 which is why we need a 3rd row car.

I’m hoping the EV credit gets passed which is 1 reason I’m waiting. My current car that I have (2018 Chevy Cruze) I will sell once we take delivery of the Model Y.

However a downside to waiting is the potential price increase. A Tesla rep told me I can put the order in but they can delay it 2-3 months at my request.

So what’s your thoughts guys on my situation... wait to order or just put the order in now?
Order now if you want one. The tax credit isn’t happening.

If you have a remedial understanding of how US politics works it should be very easy to understand.

A first term president + a divided Congress is not going to be passing subsidies for $80,000 vehicles. Both the votes and the political will to make it happen do not exist.
And how did that work out for the 1.9 Trillion Stimulus bill passed earlier this year without Republican support? Sounds like someone hasn't been paying attention to how much power Biden actually has.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Daget24 and glide
I was waiting for that to happen, but gave up and took the plunge anyway

I figured if the tax credit ever (re)materialized then the prices would just go up by a similar amount, plus there's a chance they'd back date them to 1/1/21 anyway ... hey it's about as likely right?

My REAL reason was that I saw a video on you tube where they said, "If you're waiting for the 4680s or the one piece underbody, or something else, then don't because by the time that's available, there'll be something else to wait for" - plus let's be honest; you're really only on the hook for the $100 order fee

I was waiting for that to happen, but gave up and took the plunge anyway

I figured if the tax credit ever (re)materialized then the prices would just go up by a similar amount, plus there's a chance they'd back date them to 1/1/21 anyway ... hey it's about as likely right?

My REAL reason was that I saw a video on you tube where they said, "If you're waiting for the 4680s or the one piece underbody, or something else, then don't because by the time that's available, there'll be something else to wait for" - plus let's be honest; you're really only on the hook for the $100 order fee
I agree with that.. I’m taking the test drive this week hopefully so should be putting the order in this coming week. God Willing

A stimulus during a pandemic is different than a blatant hand out for rich people during a period of inflation.
To be honest, the tax package is actually capped at a price ceiling ($80k I believe), and also comes with tax incentives that are directly tied to how it is built. Tesla actually gets extra benefits because it builds the cars in the US, while Ford/GM get benefits for making the cars using union labor.

It's likely to be tied via a supplemental green package that the house and Democratic senators may try to pass later on. It's not dead yet, but it's not part of the current bill which does not help and makes this year a low percentage possibility.

Reactions: talhas3
And how did that work out for the 1.9 Trillion Stimulus bill passed earlier this year without Republican support? Sounds like someone hasn't been paying attention to how much power Biden actually has.
Perhaps it's not accurate to say that it's "not happening", but people who are waiting on any potential EV tax credit might be waiting for a while. To me, it seems like there are more important things to address than increasing and renewing the EV credit for Teslas.

My opinion is that if something passes, it sweetens the deal/order. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it - for now at least. It's not dead in the water, but the fish certainly isn't swimming.

Did you end up ordering? Because the price just went up last night another 1000k. You might as well order now before this becomes a 60k car for a MYLR

Attachments

• 5D43CED5-A6A6-42EA-A336-3705DBFC150A.jpeg
    5D43CED5-A6A6-42EA-A336-3705DBFC150A.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: Junejune
Did you end up ordering? Because the price just went up last night another 1000k. You might as well order now before this becomes a 60k car for a MYLR
Yea I put the order in this last weekend. Unfortunately it was after this last price increase. Yea it seems like Tesla will keep increasing price on the LR so I just ordered it anyway.

They’ll increase it to 54990 for the LR and that’s the cap. Then later they’ll increase prices on the upgrades like interior, wheels, color..etc

purchasing 3 months ago would be a huge difference. Won’t be much now though.

Definitely order now. Also in Rochester here. The drive to Mt. Kisco is fun.

If you really don't need a 2nd car, wait and save the money.

Tesla is riding the inventory shortages to high margin and also hoping for tax credit extension.
If either the supply issues get resolved or you get the extension the price to you will drop again.
Plus if you wait long enough you'll either get a Model Y from the newer Texas factory (which should have better build quality), or you'll have a wider choice of vehicles in the market.