Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I order now or wait closer to beginning of Q4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you already pick up yours? I test drove a 5 seater. I want to see in person someone who has a 7 seater. My order is for a 7 seater
I picked up mine at the end of June, but it's a 5 seater. You can do test drives at the Henrietta SC, perhaps call and see if they have or will be getting a 7 seater demo in to drive. There's also the NYS Tesla Owners Club which is having an event at the Henrietta SC in August where I believe people can go and test drive club owners cars, so perhaps someone there will have 7 seats.

Q4 is almost sold out so you would need to order now to at least be good on delivery by Q1 next year. Wait times right now is on average 2 to 3 months for most orders. If a tax incentive does pass the additional demand would stretch out the wait time even further. I would not hold my breath on any tax incentives. The current bill caps it to $80K so that would exclude the S and X on this deal. Things can change but I would not put that as the main reason to wait or move forward on a purchase.

Q4 is almost sold out so you would need to order now to at least be good on delivery by Q1 next year. Wait times right now is on average 2 to 3 months for most orders. If a tax incentive does pass the additional demand would stretch out the wait time even further. I would not hold my breath on any tax incentives. The current bill caps it to $80K so that would exclude the S and X on this deal. Things can change but I would not put that as the main reason to wait or move forward on a purchase.
I’ve already placed my order for the Model Y 7 seater. I’ll take delivery in November or December. Hopefully we get the tax incentive.
If the bill doesn’t get passed I might just push out my delivery to next year in case the bill passes next year. I need the car before February 2022.

Getting another addition to the family God willing so need the 3 rows before then

I was going to wait, but I'm finishing up a refinance on my house then going to release the hold on the MY. I haven't talked to my sales rep about it yet, but should I release my hold now if my refi is going to be done in the next couple weeks to a month? I haven't looked into when I need to get approved for financing for the car. If the delivery times are 3 months out and I don't have to get approved for 1.5-2 months, I can release the hold now.

We are in no rush, but I went ahead and reserved/ordered a couple days ago. Yeah, the pricing is up, but I figured it was worth a $100 risk. EDD (well ED Month) is November, but January would be fine for us as well. We will have a surplus car we can't sell if it comes before 1/1/22.

A couple questions:

1) If the price drops, does it drop on our reservation, or do we need to cancel and re-reserve?
2) If this tax credit goes thru, same question as #1.

I don't expect these to happen, but am curious.

Thanks,

#1 is probably moot as I doubt that the prices will fall ... soon at least

#2 The Tax Credit has nothing to do with your order placement, and I can't remember now it it's related to order date or delivery date ... and if they reinstated it [1] that could change anyway

The Tax Credit is only worth something if you pay taxes ("if" - lol)

[1] "reinstate" isn't really the right word. It's still in place, just not for manufacturers that have sold more than 250,000 units combined (not of a specific model), like Hyundai, last time I checked at least

<showing off>
It's collated by the Quarter and lasts until one complete quarter after the quarter in which the 250,000 threshold was reached by that manufacturer (so if it was reached today, the current quarter runs through Sept 30, so the full $7500 would be available until Dec 31st) Then it steps down 50% for another quarter and then to 25% for another quarter, then it vanishes
</showing off>

We are in no rush, but I went ahead and reserved/ordered a couple days ago. Yeah, the pricing is up, but I figured it was worth a $100 risk. EDD (well ED Month) is November, but January would be fine for us as well. We will have a surplus car we can't sell if it comes before 1/1/22.

A couple questions:

1) If the price drops, does it drop on our reservation, or do we need to cancel and re-reserve?
2) If this tax credit goes thru, same question as #1.

I don't expect these to happen, but am curious.

Thanks,
I put my order in with the same hope that the EV Credits get approved. Otherwise I might consider pushing out my delivery to Jan 2022. Not sure yet. Have a few months to figure out what’s going on.

You definitely have some time, especially if your hard deadline is around February 2022. Definitely don’t push it out too too far though. Tesla demand is through the roof on Y’s and Cybertruck. I ordered my Y earlier this month since my lease is up this November so I have a little more immediate need and hoping my EDD isn’t pushed out too much!

The EV rebates are part of the Reconciliation Bill that has yet to be voted on and passed. There is no doubt a few representatives with their hands in Oil so it’ll be interesting how it plays out. Also one of the requirements (I think) with the Bill is you have to have a tax liability of $7500 or more or something like that. It could all change before it’s ready for voting.

The EV rebates are part of the Reconciliation Bill that has yet to be voted on and passed. There is no doubt a few representatives with their hands in Oil so it’ll be interesting how it plays out. Also one of the requirements (I think) with the Bill is you have to have a tax liability of $7500 or more or something like that. It could all change before it’s ready for voting.
From what I've read, GM (the other automaker whose vehicles are not eligible for the tax credit) was a major factor behind the move towards lifting the cap on sales.

• Informative
Reactions: Trip McNealy
If you really don't need a 2nd car, wait and save the money.

Tesla is riding the inventory shortages to high margin and also hoping for tax credit extension.
If either the supply issues get resolved or you get the extension the price to you will drop again.
Plus if you wait long enough you'll either get a Model Y from the newer Texas factory (which should have better build quality), or you'll have a wider choice of vehicles in the market.
Don't think you will pull a Texas built Model Y once Austin goes online. Fremont will still be churning out cars and you are just as likely to get one of those, especially if you live on the west coast.

I was going to wait, but I'm finishing up a refinance on my house then going to release the hold on the MY. I haven't talked to my sales rep about it yet, but should I release my hold now if my refi is going to be done in the next couple weeks to a month? I haven't looked into when I need to get approved for financing for the car. If the delivery times are 3 months out and I don't have to get approved for 1.5-2 months, I can release the hold now.
Your hold, puts you in the back of the line. If I could do it over I would have never put a hold on my order and kept it as is cash purchase. If I got a vin before refi. closed I would have pushed the pickup as far as I could to have my close done or just reject the order and wait again for the next. Putting a hold on my order was the worst thing I did during my refinance.

Reactions: Viv1984
Don't think you will pull a Texas built Model Y once Austin goes online. Fremont will still be churning out cars and you are just as likely to get one of those, especially if you live on the west coast.
Agreed, the Austin builds for domestic shipping won’t happen till mid 2022 to say the least. So if u want to hold off for an Austin build or “inventory” from there then do that. If not expect a model y from Fremont

Your hold, puts you in the back of the line. If I could do it over I would have never put a hold on my order and kept it as is cash purchase. If I got a vin before refi. closed I would have pushed the pickup as far as I could to have my close done or just reject the order and wait again for the next. Putting a hold on my order was the worst thing I did during my refinance.

I also wasn't ready to buy at the time. I was waiting for a bonus check so I could knock out more of the payment without dipping into savings. I'll have that before I get the car now.

I’ve already placed my order for the Model Y 7 seater. I’ll take delivery in November or December. Hopefully we get the tax incentive.
If the bill doesn’t get passed I might just push out my delivery to next year in case the bill passes next year. I need the car before February 2022.

Getting another addition to the family God willing so need the 3 rows before then
You still aiming for 4q delivery?